My Tractor Forum banner
301 - 320 of 337 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,082 Posts
Hey Don, thanks bud, I found the same last night too. In the meantime, I got the engine to at least crank this afternoon, now just need to sort out the wiring for the fuel shutoff solenoid....

Stevech-its on this year's list, I have a lumber mill to build so I can make some planks 😁

Can you post videos on this forum?
You can't post video's directly you have to use something like YouTube or Tinypic/Photobucket to post them to and then you can link them back here. Hope you find that starter and get the fuel shut-off solenoid working.

·
Administrator
17,822 Posts
Great news about getting it to run. Looking forward to pixs and video.
MikeC

·
Parts collector
4,277 Posts
Woohoo, fired it up and it didn't explode 😁 temporary switch for the FSS, temporary push button start, 10 tooth starter doesn't seem to disengage fully, steering works, couple of leaks as I forgot to tighten a couple of hydraulic fittings, it didn't run away either. Not quite ready to drive yet
Pics and video to follow later this week
Woo Hoo! Congrats!

I thought your engine had a P-Pump on it , your VE doesn't have a arm on the side of it that's spring loaded?

This is a 12v's VE pump and I thought the 4 bt's was the same with just 2 less injectors.

Tuning Up A VE Injection Pump - Fuel - Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Forum
Yes as said if it's a VE it will have a shutoff on it for sure. I've had 4 Cummins trucks with VE pumps and they all had a shutoff on them.

·
Registered
719 Posts
It gets its ground off the engine, just have to connect a power wire to the spade connector on it. Unfortunately my VE pump doesn't have a manual shutoff, that would have been too simple and this build has been anything but........
Doesn't your injection pump look like this

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
It's normally in the gap below the throttle cable I believe, there's a nice blanking plate there instead...... Would have made life a bit simpler if it had one, I wouldn't have had to swap the 24volt FSS for a 12 volt one for starters.......

·
Registered
719 Posts
Look at the picture in this link, it's the arm that's called " Mechanical Fuel shut off "

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Probably the shut off lever depends on the application that the engine was mounted to. I had a Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD with the Mitsubishi 4M40 engine with the same VE pump and no shut off lever either.

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,820 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,082 Posts
Sounds real good! I know you've been waiting a long time to be able to fire her up so we're all happy that you've gotten to the running stage!

·
Parts collector
4,277 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #317 ·
Both Clutches set and working, front drive shaft reinstalled. Next, the air brakes, the wiring and gauges, grease all fittings, figure out why the 3 point hitch isn't working then it may just be ready to move, maybe.....

·
Administrator
17,822 Posts
Just great. Must have been a thrill when it fired off. A long road, a lot of doubters but congratulations. You persevered and came out a winner.
MikeC

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #319 ·
So after a week of sub zero Temps again and every form of precipitation, fitting a new hydraulic pump as can't get the fittings I need for the pump that came with the tractor - should have the hydraulics and 3 point hitch working by the end of the day. Some nice weather forecast over the next few days so should have it moving over the weekend, that's if the wife doesn't want me to spend 7 hours cutting the grass around the house.....

·
Registered
365 Posts
On another forum that I hang out on, one of the guys showed his wife how to use their zero turn mower. Now he cannot get it away from her. You might consider a similar strategy.

Glad to see you are almost finished.

301 - 320 of 337 Posts