My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never thought I’d start a post with that title. I have a 5660 with the 38” blower on it. Love it. And as seems to happen bought another. This ones a 16G professional ride on with a 48” blower. Bought the rider because the splined short driveshaft the goes from the fan to the auger gearbox stripped. This is the 38” blower. Anyway 2 nights ago we got 12” of snow up in the NEK of Vermont and was happily blowing my dirt/gravel driveway and it dug in pretty good and jammed a rock between the auger blade and the housing. Took me a bit to see the fan was going but the auger was not. After I pried the rock out with a screw driver and the auger would turn freely but still no luck. Fan goes great auger will not turn. Left it till morning and in the light tightened all the slip clutch bolts on the auger shaft. Same result. So I am thinking it ate the worm gear. So back to my title. The 38” blower is just parts now. The gear box looks more or less the same as the 48” blower. Can I use the worm gear from one in the other?

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
There were (at least) a couple of gearboxes, but they're similar.

Why not try swapping the whole gearbox? I believe all the snow-cannon rider blowers used the same mounts and were set up for the same hex shaft. If you can get the coupling to work, you ought to be able to just swap it in.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I was looking here in this link, and it looks like that worm gear is part of the shaft on the smaller blower.

I looked in the next link, the worm is separate from the shaft.

If you look at the driven gear or reel gear, they look different in the pictures.

But, that being said I got the number off the 48" diagram, 36858. I went here to richards lawn and garden and plugged that number in, and there are a lot of different size blowers that take that gear.

Hope that gives you some places to research.

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
No.

The gravely snowblowers have a worm gear drive which turns a hex shaft on which the auger halves ride. There are two slip clutches on the sides of the gearbox. If the auger encounters an obstruction, the clutches slip to avoid blowing up the gearbox.

There's still stress on the gearbox. If the clutches are too tight, that adds stress too. I keep mine fairly loose, which means if I get even a few chunks of ice in there, the augers will stop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts