My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some pictures of what we've been up to with two of the Wheel Horses. The last picture is of the crappy trailer loaded with rocks and gravel from our gravel bank. It is not the best of rigs but I'm doing my best to abuse it - when it's kaput a new one (much better thank you!) will take it's place! Maybe before!

Enjoy:thThumbsU

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
Horses doin what they do best...workin hard!

·
16,496 Posts
Looking good--Dave....Keep those "Horse's working!!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Dave,

Nice pics. That trailer needs to be put out of it's misery! LOL

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Nice to see them working hard. slkpk

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to see people enjoying the pictures. The trailer looks better in the pictures - trust me. That load of gravel and rocks was one of seven over a quarter mile woods road. There's a couple of low spots coming out and the trailer sinks in some. The C120 churns through but it's time to put some of that gravel to use there.

I've got a pretty good hill coming out and the tractor climbs it with the load easily, though it slips a little on the leaves. The ags have done wonders. The next trailer will be at least four feet wide at the wheels so it won't tip over. It hasn't tipped over loaded with dirt but does all the time with brush - even at low speeds. It wasn't designed for this kind of use - clearly!

As an aside - when I picked up my wheel weights another guy had dropped off his pride and joy - a (no-name here) 22hp used solely for mowing. When I said I did all my mowing with a 12hp he alluded as horsepower went up to get a better cut - okay - well then - not getting into it - on to other things! :hide:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Glad to see people enjoying the pictures. The trailer looks better in the pictures - trust me. That load of gravel and rocks was one of seven over a quarter mile woods road. There's a couple of low spots coming out and the trailer sinks in some. The C120 churns through but it's time to put some of that gravel to use there.

I've got a pretty good hill coming out and the tractor climbs it with the load easily, though it slips a little on the leaves. The ags have done wonders. The next trailer will be at least four feet wide at the wheels so it won't tip over. It hasn't tipped over loaded with dirt but does all the time with brush - even at low speeds. It wasn't designed for this kind of use - clearly!

As an aside - when I picked up my wheel weights another guy had dropped off his pride and joy - a (no-name here) 22hp used solely for mowing. When I said I did all my mowing with a 12hp he alluded as horsepower went up to get a better cut - okay - well then - not getting into it - on to other things! :hide:
I learned something new today:ROF . I guess my 38" deck on my 1964 JD doesn't cut well since it only has a little 8 HP:crybaby: . Thanks for busting my bubble there Stillbents. I knew there was a good reason for getting my 24HP diesel but I just didn't know why I needed the HP for mowing.:thThumbsU Simply amazing is it? slkpk

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was a little taken aback by the gentleman's remarks. Even more so now that I just tilled two garden plots totaling about 900 square feet with the C120-8. To say I was impressed with the results of 12hp doing this is an understatement - everything went perfectly! I tilled in lime first, manure, and then two 3.5cu ft bags of peat. It smoked some but never missed a beat as it worked, and because it's dry, the ags were enough to finish the job.

Hmmmm - let me see - I paid $600 for the tractor, tiller, blower, and mower. I used to plow snow all winter, have hauled out five yards of rough gravel from a 1/4 mile in the woods, tilled the garden in great shape, and hauled untold trailer loads of brush away. I'm good with my purchase!!

Then of course there's the C120 auto that's doing lawn duty and the 312-8 moving dirt. My only regret is waiting until last year to get something to do 1/3rd of what I've done.

Comment: Once I looked at various pictures here and on Redsquare, the tiller was easier to put on than the mower. Also, I have a hitch with lever I can't figure out - will post pictures soon to find out what it's for!

Attachments

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Long live old iron:thThumbsU slkpk

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Nice job Dave! Now you need some cultivators to tow behind that horse to keep the weeds down :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup - these old guys really pull their own weight. I am surprised that many people have forgotten how gearing really plays into the mix. I'm certainly not denigrating anyone's higher horsepower units (I want one too!) but the versatility of these smaller units around the yard and beyond is looked over. If I had Slkpk's diesel I'd have tons of fun but even that's too big for winding around the trees and gardens all over my yard.

Been thinking about it Micah. I went for the wheel weights in Searsport at the expense of the harrow. I thought they'd be the most important piece of the package come winter!

As an aside I had the same problem crop up yesterday that happened over the winter with this tractor (C120-8). It's been running fine until I hooked up the tiller. It did the "I'm dead and you can't start me" thing :Disgus: . No sound at all when the key was turned. I got the jumpers, but first shook the tiller around a little. Voila - started right up! I am so going to rewire this sucka!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts