My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
We're all friends here
13,853 Posts
I thought it was Chooch Industries. that's what i use, but it looks different in O scale. No bump-outs on mine.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I thought it was Chooch Industries. that's what i use, but it looks different in O scale. No bump-outs on mine.
You must be modeling in HO - scale ?

·
We're all friends here
13,853 Posts
Yes, I am. Wife didn't give me enough room in the basement for O scale. ;)

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #64

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
In the upper right corner of this older photo, you can see a bridge support with an oblong base and a single pole.

There are two of these supports under the railroad bridge on the right side of the layout and one under the railroad bridge on the other side of the layout and I have decided that they need to look beefier.
I don't know what the plastic oblong base was for but I have six of them and they all had ' Tyco ' marked on them.

Taking two of them, I drilled two extra holes in each of them.

Then I cut pieces of styrene and glued them into the bottom of each one.
The one with the clear plexiglass has a hole in the center that is drilled and tapped and a 6-32 flathead screw is threaded into it.

I cut two more wooden dowels for the outside post and they are just a little smaller in diameter then the center post.
One end on the center post is drilled and tapped for the 6-32 screw.

The two oblong parts are assembled together with the three post.
This new bridge support can now be slid in under the bridge and the center post can be turned to spread the two oblong parts apart to fasten them in place.

Here are the two supports under the bridge on the right side.

Ant the one under the bridge on the other side.

·
We're all friends here
13,853 Posts
Your layout is very inexpressive.
Ha, ha. I hope you meant impressive. Thanks. Darn spell checkers. :giggle:
Those supports look store-bought.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Sweet job with those bridge supports. Looks great!

Headed to the big train show in Springfield Ma this weekend. Going to try to avoid buying more trains, but am looking for buildings for my section at the club.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Ha, ha. I hope you meant impressive. Thanks. Darn spell checkers. :giggle:
Those supports look store-bought.
Yeah ... that's the word I wanted but I didn't pay enough attention to the spelling of the word that spellcheck gave me.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Okay .. I think that I have all of the buildings placed where I want them and I have started laying out the base for the paved road running thru the layout.
I'm spreading out drywall spackling putty over the particle board to make a smoother base of the roadway.

·
We're all friends here
13,853 Posts
I've been admiring your work for the past 15 minutes, Ray. I'm guessing those freight cars up high are coupled together and accessible from the right side of that wall?

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I've been admiring your work for the past 15 minutes, Ray. I'm guessing those freight cars up high are coupled together and accessible from the right side of that wall?
That row of cars is for display only.
They are all very old cars that were built back in the 30's and 40's.

To answer your question .. yes, they are coupled together and I can pull them off that display track from either the left side or the right side.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
When I built the hotel, I went ahead and put a sidewalk on its base.

However, I didn't add the sidewalk when I built these two buildings.

So I made the sidewalks for them this week and I have added more of the base for the paved road.

I've started making up the pieces for the crossings where the road goes over the track.
This is the crossing for the main road.

These are crossings for secondary roads.

This gives you an idea of how they fit together with the track.

I've had several people ask me what year I'm modeling on my layout so I decided to make up this little billboard.

This is the backside of the billboard.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
I've started painting the areas for the paved roads on the layout.
This is the main street of my downtown.
There will be parallel parking in front of the hotel and also across the road from the hotel.

The other stores will have angle parking in front of them.
The pavement curves off to the right and goes under the railroad track.

To the left, the pavement turns and goes up over the track.

Then it winds around to go over the bridge ( the pavement hasn't been painted on the bridge yet ).

On the other side of the bridge, the pavement swings around and heads up alongside the factory.

Then it reaches a dead end in front of the canning company.

The road that comes out from under the railroad will run up onto the overpass that goes over the railroad and continue along the upper section.
I stopped painting the pavement here because I need to build another building to put here that will have a paved area going up to it.

A few years ago I built this municipal building with a police station, a court house and a fire station.
As things turned out, this building was way to large for this redneck little town that I have now so I sold the municipal building on ebay.

However, I still need a small fire station ( and possibly a small police station ).
So I need to make another building ( or buildings ) and set them in place before I go on with the pavement in this area.

·
We're all friends here
13,853 Posts
Ray, if you made that municipal building from scratch then that is just amazing! 😲

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Ray, if you made that municipal building from scratch then that is just amazing! 😲
Thank you ...
All of my buildings are made from scratch.

·
Super Moderator
11,194 Posts
As Al said, amazing work, Ray! I know there is still a good deal of time involved, but I'm looking forward to seeing the end result.

Al, IMHO, seeing the great looking pic that you posted, I think a thread, and some pics of your RR might be a good idea.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I built this bridge out of brass rod over 50 years ago and was glad when I finally could use it.
Sitting by itself, it shows up well enough even with it being the dingy brass color.

However, it isn't as easy to see with the big silver automotive bridge sitting next to it.

So I have decided to unfasten it from the layout and paint it.

First I cleaned it all off and primed it.

Then I painted it.

It is much more visible now.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts