My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Administrator- We’re all friends here
14,479 Posts
I like the perfect fit of the factory base in the table cutout. Assembling building kits takes a lot of patience at times. I know from experience. ;) Yours look good.

Reactions: jdcrawler

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I like the perfect fit of the factory base in the table cutout. Assembling building kits takes a lot of patience at times. I know from experience. ;) Yours look good.
Thank you.
Just to clarify .. my buildings are not put together from kits.
I have made all of the buildings from scratch without the use of any drawings or blueprints.

·
14,479 Posts
Wow! That makes it even better. Very nice work. (y)

·
Super Moderator
31,759 Posts
Looks great!! ive been wanting to build a layout since I was a kid.. Ive started and stopped more times then I care to bring up. I pretty much found out that I just dont enjoy the laying out, planning, and base work that goes into it.. I do enjoy building a kit or two though once in a while, So Ive pretty much resolved myself to that

·
14,479 Posts
Paul, once you gather up most of the material, it's not bad. You need to take care laying track. I spent about three weeks setting up my HO, start to finish. After that it's just adding buildings/vehicles/people here and there.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
The hole is cut into the table for the outside crane to sit down into and I have laid the track base down to where the first switch will be.

The crane is then set into place and fastened down with a screw at each corner.

The first set of turnout switches are set in place and the rest of the track base is put down for this section of track.

I use a foam track base that is designed for O-scale track and is easy to form around the curves.
This also absorbs some of the sound of the trains running around the layout.
Because of the moving parts on the switches, I mount them on sections of 3/16 thick plywood so they have a more solid mount.

With this section of track base all laid down, I can then start laying the track sections down.

This outside section of track and switches is finished.
You can see that there are ties missing where the track connectors are and you can also see the silver heads of the nails that I use to fasten the track down.

Once all of the track work is done, I will slide individual ties under the rails where they are missing.
I will also use a black marker and color the heads of the nails.
The very outside track has already had the nail heads colored so you can see how the track will look with that done.

All of the tracks will eventually have a fine gravel laid down in between the ties and covering the sides of the track base.

The rest of the track and switches are put in place to finish this part of the layout.
The tender that goes with the locomotive that is being worked on is sitting on the siding.
The switch on this side of the crane doesn't have more track coming off from it because I will be putting a machine shed there later.

The boiler has been lifted off and the chassis and it is ready to be pulled back out from under the boiler.
The overhead crane is powered by 4-cylinder engine that is mounted on wheels and connected to the crane by a driveshaft.

On the other side of the crane, the little 0-4-0 switch engine is getting ready to pull the locomotive chassis out from under the boiler.
There is enough track for it to pull the chassis back past the switch so it can be changed.
The switch engine will then push the chassis out around the crane and on into the machine shed so it can be worked on.

There is a small maintenance shed in between the tracks.

Reactions: Cat385B

·
Super Moderator
31,759 Posts
Paul, once you gather up most of the material, it's not bad. You need to take care laying track. I spent about three weeks setting up my HO, start to finish. After that it's just adding buildings/vehicles/people here and there.
Ya, I know.... I was just never happy with what I was building.... I always wanted more, and better.. Im thinking some day Ill just build a little shelf layout...

·
14,479 Posts
The crane looks very realistic, and I'm guessing you also built it from scratch. Great storyline to go with it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Great work on the crane! Lots of progress made... jealous!
Meanwhile I haven’t been to my club layout in months.. lol. Hope to get back after the holidays.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Made a little change to the display of the outside crane where the boiler can be lifted up off the chassis.
I have added a wood push bumper to the front of the 0-4-0 switch engine and it has three steel pegs sticking up from the top of it.
A chain with a hook on one end is fastened to the center peg.
It is wrapped around the back of the chassis and hooked back on the center peg.
The little engine is pulling the chassis out from under the lifted boiler.

The switch engine will pull the chassis back to the end of the track and then the chain will be unhooked from the chassis and wrapped around the two outer pegs on top of the wood bumper to keep it out of the way.
They'll switch the turnout to the outside track and then the switch engine can use the wood bumper to push the chassis out around the crane and on into the machine shed on the other side.

After I get grass and gravel laid down on the layout, I'll have an enginer siting in the cab of the switch engine and have some workers placed around this area.

Reactions: Cat385B

·
Registered
75 Posts
Made a little change to the display of the outside crane where the boiler can be lifted up off the chassis.
I have added a wood push bumper to the front of the 0-4-0 switch engine and it has three steel pegs sticking up from the top of it.
A chain with a hook on one end is fastened to the center peg.
It is wrapped around the back of the chassis and hooked back on the center peg.
The little engine is pulling the chassis out from under the lifted boiler.

The switch engine will pull the chassis back to the end of the track and then the chain will be unhooked from the chassis and wrapped around the two outer pegs on top of the wood bumper to keep it out of the way.
They'll switch the turnout to the outside track and then the switch engine can use the wood bumper to push the chassis out around the crane and on into the machine shed on the other side.

After I get grass and gravel laid down on the layout, I'll have an enginer siting in the cab of the switch engine and have some workers placed around this area.
Keep the pics coming !

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Photobucket is back up so I can start to post some more photos of how my layout is coming along .........

I've started putting the roadbed down for the side track that is going to go to the coal tower and on to the side of the factory.

This will be the section of track that goes under the coal tower where the coal can be dumped from the hoppers down into the storage chamber under the coal tower.

I need to cut a lot of the ties out of this section of track to form the opening of the pit to drop the coal into so the track is first glued to a piece of plexiglass.

Here I've started milling the center of the track out.

The center is milled all the way out except for a small cross strip that is left to support the sides while it is still clamped in the vice.

This section of track is then set in place and the outline is marked where the table will be cut out.

The small cross strip is then removed from the track.

I built a box under the section of track with pieces of plexiglass.

This forms the storage pit for the coal and here is how it looks when it is painted.

The hole is cut out of the table for this pit to fit into.

The rest of the roadbed is laid down to extend the track on down to the factory.

The track is fastened down to where the coal tower is going to sit and the section of track with the pit is put in place.

The rest of the track is put in place running down to the factory.

The coal tower is set in place and the a boxcar is used to make sure that all the clearance is good.

The water tower is set in place and another siding is put down for a place to store the snowplow during the summer.
The coal is brought up into the top of the coal tower by a screw conveyor.
The locomotives will pull up on this outside track and the coal shoot will be lowered so the coal can fall down into the tender.
Then the locomotive will pull forward to fill their water tank from the water tower.

The factory is set back in place on it's base.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I have put in a concrete bridge over the track so cars and trucks can drive up to the upper level on the layout.

The hole has been cut into the table for the base of the hotel to set into.
It has been put in place and the sidewalk is not sitting flush down on top of the table.

The last couple of days, I have been working on fastening the pieces of the stone retaining wall in place.

·
14,479 Posts
You must have fabricated the bridge to fit perfectly in that space. I doubt they come like that. (y)

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I have finished putting up the cut stone sections on the elevated area along the back wall and also on the elevated highway going up to the concrete bridge.

Somewhere in all of my boxes of train stuff, I have some guardrails to go along the side of the road going up to the concrete bridge .. I just haven't come across them yet.

·
14,479 Posts
The stone walls look good. Did you buy pre-made pieces and cut them to size or did you somehow make them from scratch?

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
The stone walls look good. Did you buy pre-made pieces and cut them to size or did you somehow make them from scratch?
The stone walls are cast out of a hard foam material and they are made by Chooch Industries.
Below is a photo of how they look from the factory.
I had gotton the ones that I'm using off ebay and they had already been painted and came off of someones layout.

s-l1600.jpg

41 - 60 of 90 Posts