My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the weather getting colder, I have gone back to working on my layout for my O-scale trains.

Here is the layout table that I got finished last winter.

Put down the track bed for the first loop and started laying the track.

The first loop is finished and I'm starting on the second loop.
I have placed some of the buildings on the table so I can start to get some idea of where I want them to sit.

The two outside track loops are finished.

The third track is going to clime up and ride over top of the first track at the back wall.
This piece of steel angle is mounted on the back wall at the height of the platform for the third track.

I'm using 1/2 inch plywood to build the platform and the track base for the third track.

This gives me a " tunnel " for the train on the first track to go thru and raises the third track up off the table.

·
16,289 Posts
So nifty there-Ray...that's in your basement-right?

Tell us bout that little 'swing-up gate' that connects the ends of the U- shape of the table itself...Love the engineering forethought...:fing32::fing32:
glenn

·
We're all friends here
13,853 Posts
Looking good, Ray. Nice job on the wood risers. I'll bet you will be adding an attached stand for those transformers so you can put more scenery on top. :tango_face_wink:

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you going to have the ability to switch the trains to different loops?
The three tracks are all separate loops for a couple of reasons.

First is space ... this layout is about the smallest you can get away with and still run the big articulated locomotives like the brass one sitting on the outside track.
Because of the radius of the track in the corners, this engine, and the others that I have that size, are only able to run on that outside track.

Second ...there isn't anyplace where turnout switches could be put between the middle and inside track.
The inside track is going up or down on the sides and the front has the bridge crossover.
Obviously, turnouts cant go at the back because the inside track is running on top of the outside track.

The way I have it set up, you can run three separate trains at one time without having to worry about any of them accidentally getting switched onto another track and crashing ( that big brass articulated on the outside track is worth about $2,000 and you definitely don't want to have a wreck with that ).

The middle track is going to have some turnout switches in it that will run off to the factory and to a switching yard.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So nifty there-Ray...that's in your basement-right?

Tell us bout that little 'swing-up gate' that connects the ends of the U- shape of the table itself...Love the engineering forethought...:fing32::fing32:
glenn
We don't have a basement ( I do wish I did though ... I could make a much larger layout ).
This is in what use to be the garage right off the end of the house, where Marie parked her car.

That ' swing-up gate ' is so I can get into the area between the two sides of the layout.
It will have three railroad bridges and one automotive bridge on it.

The gate is made out of 3/4 inch steel angle with wood attached to it fro the bridges.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try not to let that hit you on the head!! Great idea for accessing the center section! I always had O-27 gauge so they make a tighter turn.
Not a problem .. the gate lays back past center and the weight of the bridges makes it so it won't accidentally fall forward.
You have to pull on it to get it to start to come back down.

·
Registered
872 Posts
That’s great room! I hope to someday build my layout. That brass engine is beautiful!

·
Super Moderator
26,914 Posts
Your links aren't working. By the way that is a great train room! I looked at my posts and realized I totally forgot to say that. Will be interested to see the progress on it.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your links aren't working.
My daughter is coming down on Thursday .. I'll have her check my video upload to see what the problem is.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Ray,

I have three tracks also, two are Burlington Northern Santa Fe and the other is, or was TP&W, (Toledo Peoria & Wabash) if I remember right.

We get about three trains per hour on the BNSF line along with two Amtrak runs from Chicago to Quincy Illinois daily.

My father worked for Burlington Route, Burlington Northern before he passed. He was the Division Roadmaster in Hannibal Missouri at his untimely passing at 49 years old. The house I live in is from early in his railroad career, he would walk half a block to a side track shed that housed a small putt putt car that he used to check the rails daily.

Every now and then a steam locomotive will pass through, been awhile since that has happened.

Wonderful set up you have there and amazing work once again.

CCMoe

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just wish I would have started with 2rail years ago instead of 3rail..More scale looking todays 3rail run pretty good tho...

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The track base on the left side is finished.
This is a 4% grade with the track starting to rise in the curve coming off the bridge at the front of the layout.

The track also curves where goes over the other track at the back of the layout.

This is how the bridge will look going over the other track.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 80 Posts