My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just inherited an old craftsman riding mower. I have been working on it for days and I have no idea what model it is or how old it is. Found this forum through many hours of image searching to find a tractor like mine, and no such luck yet!

I am hoping I can get some help on here!:trink39:

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Glad you joined!
:wwp: If you need easy Picture help
Be sure to Register for Your State!

·
Premium Member
9,900 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the great Welcome!!!

Unfortunately the sticker under the seat has been removed and the whole tractor repainted.

I have no idea what year or model number it is. I really appreciate any help! :thanku:

Sorry I know the pics are HUGE

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I don't have any info off hand, but the fact that it's a four speed with a 30" deck should help us narrow it down fairly quickly. It's a 917.xxxxx, Not a Murray or MTD or AMF, that's all I can say so far.

EDIT: If the engine is original we can get the tractor age within a year or two. Can you post the numbers off of the engine? There should be an id plate/sticker somewhere fairly visible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have any info off hand, but the fact that it's a four speed with a 30" deck should help us narrow it down fairly quickly. It's a 917.xxxxx, Not a Murray or MTD or AMF, that's all I can say so far.

Thanks!!!!! The internet has not helped me out much and I even contacted sears and they basically said I was SOL.

So this is a definite boost for my morale!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Can you post the numbers on the engines id tag?. That will help us date the tractor.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
:MTF_wel2:

It greatly resembles my 10/36 4 speed. It's a 1986, if that's any help.

·
Premium Member
9,900 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
The numbers are usually stamped on the metal eng covers.
I suggest you tilt the seat up, get low, and take a careful look at the hitch plate. That's the vertical plate at the rear with the little lip containing the hitch-pin hole.

On my machine and others, there is a metal model tag mounted in the upper right corner of that plate--it might be less than obvious unless you are looking up from below the fender sheet metal.

Hope it's there!

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
I would venture a guess it would be mid eighties model... MAybe like a LT Model?

Light duty (see the stamped steel front axle) made only for mowing.

Originally looked like This here...

I am not sure of the actual part number or Model Name though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts