My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 99 Posts
50/50. If you want to try it, a quart of each will do, to start. Acetone can be found in the paint section, ATF, cheaper the better. I watch for partial bottles, or, odds and ends of bottles at auctions, that a case will usually go for a buck. If you find you like as well as I do, you can buy the Acetone in gallons. Here, it's about $13 a gallon. I happened to catch a 2 gallon jug of ATF on sale at Rural King, for $18.

Just be sure you put it in a dispenser you can seal. I use a small dish detergent bottle, with a snap lid. Otherwise, the Acetone will evaporate. It will separate when it sets for a while, just give it a quick shake, and you're good to go.

I've used many types over the years, including PB Blaster, and Kroil, but this mix beats them both..!! Just don't get it on a painted surface, you don't want messed up. The Acetone will take paint off.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Swapped out the front wheels that go flat overnight with a set from my parts 350. Started removing wires that are damaged or have been mickey moused by PO's. Found this custom wiring under a wad of electrical tape.

Attachments

Red wire to black wire with a clamp bolt/nut, did the PO build a glow nut? Sometimes I wonder when to cheap really does become a safety hazard. Your get it figured out cjet69.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Red wire to black wire with a clamp bolt/nut, did the PO build a glow nut? Sometimes I wonder when to cheap really does become a safety hazard. Your get it figured out cjet69.
This wire ran from the Generator/Alternator battery terminal for charging the battery. Looking at the rest of the wiring I'm going to have to dig futher into it than I thought to get it straightened out. It was originally a push button start, but now has the newer switch with the start position so I will be able to remove the extra wiring for that. Hope I don't have to redo everything.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Got the rewire for the 12v system routed. Just need to test it out and then wrap it. I need to get a new battery ground cable and a water temp gauge. I think I will use my small testing fuel tank for the first test run and if all goes well I can start putting things together.

Attachments

I like to use the automotive type split plastic tubing loom, for multiple wires. Large to get them all to a common area, then smaller if a few split off, going to say the alternator. Put a few wraps on it, to keep it together, along the way, then wrap with tape at the end of the loom to seal it, and let wires go to their respective location. Make a nice tidy job, and sure beats a lot of wrapping.

You never know, someday down the road, you may want to add another wire, or, for some reason replace one. Sure beats having to cut all of the tape off, then re-wrap.

At the Portland IN. swap met, a fellow there was selling it in 100' rolls for $5, for any size. I bought one roll of 3/8", and hoping he is there in the Spring,as I need to restock on a couple sizes I frequently use.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
I like to use the automotive type split plastic tubing loom, for multiple wires. Large to get them all to a common area, then smaller if a few split off, going to say the alternator. Put a few wraps on it, to keep it together, along the way, then wrap with tape at the end of the loom to seal it, and let wires go to their respective location. Make a nice tidy job, and sure beats a lot of wrapping.

You never know, someday down the road, you may want to add another wire, or, for some reason replace one. Sure beats having to cut all of the tape off, then re-wrap.

At the Portland IN. swap met, a fellow there was selling it in 100' rolls for $5, for any size. I bought one roll of 3/8", and hoping he is there in the Spring,as I need to restock on a couple sizes I frequently use.
I found a piece of that plastic tubing on an old wiring harness that looks like it will work.

I pulled the carb and found some old fuel crud in the bowl so I stuck it in the sonic cleaner. I should have it back on the tractor tomorrow.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #28 ·
I got the carb put together and installed. Figured I should try to start it so I pulled the plugs to shoot some oil in each cylinder. I noticed some rust in the 2 front cylinders. I shot some WD-40 and oil in and turned it over. That seamed to cut the rust and I could then see a shiny cylinder wall with a nice cross hatch pattern in it. Put the plugs back in and gave it a try. It fired and quit around 6-7 times and then began to run. It sounded like it was only hitting on 2 cylinders at first and then picked up the other two, but would occasionally one would drop out. I think I will check the plugs again and maybe do a compression test. With the rust in the cylinders I may be fighting a sticky valve

Where did you get your cleaner..?? HF is having a Grand Opening sale around here, with the opening of their new store, just 6 miles away, 20% off coupon would make it $60. Thinking one of those would be great for cleaning carbs.

Got a recipe for the solution..?? I've read a lot of posts where guys are using Simple Green, or, Dawn dish detergent & water.

DJ, I looked at the HF cleaner but thought the interior was too small to do carbs and such in one shot. Plus didn't like the fact that there wasn't a basket to hold parts. Reviews for the most part are mixed, like anything else, but about 20% of them had failures in a relatively short time. I looked around and found that most of the cleaners out there now have electronic controls, of course. But I wanted something with knobs, might be better or not. But at least I could change out a twist control if needed. I found this https://www.ebay.com/itm/382542122615?ul_noapp=true which is a six liter. Yes twice the price at $112 but also six liter. They also carry three liter and at about the same price as the HF 2.5 liter w/coupon. I have ordered the six. Comes with a basket, which I think is nice for small items. Sorry but this post seemed to come out as Ad copy. I'm not selling, I'm buying one. The three also comes with a basket and is avail in both the electronic and manual control. And yes I have also seen the recommendations for Simple Green and Dawn. I'll update after I get it and clean couple carbs that need it.
Now back to our regularly scheduled thread!
MikeC

Yeah, I'd read the reviews,and saw the same, and they did look small to put a full sized tractor carb. in. Like you, I'd rather spend a little more for the right thing... Thanks..!!

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Where did you get your cleaner..?? HF is having a Grand Opening sale around here, with the opening of their new store, just 6 miles away, 20% off coupon would make it $60. Thinking one of those would be great for cleaning carbs.

Got a recipe for the solution..?? I've read a lot of posts where guys are using Simple Green, or, Dawn dish detergent & water.
Its a Harbor Freight item. I have been using straight simple green and have had pretty good results. We bought this model just to try it out and see if it worked. It is a little small for the bigger carb, but so far we have gotten away with rotating to get everything clean. I would definitely go with a bigger unit now that I know how well they work.

Cjet, What is the size of your sonic bath? is it heated and have a timer on it? Been looking for what I should get.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
After getting the fire going in the wood furnace I pulled the plugs back out of the 340. No wonder it was missing. The No. 2 plug was caked with crud and No. 1 wasn't much better. No. 3-4 still looked good. I cleaned the plugs up again in the glass bead cabinet, installed them, and the engine fired right up. It runs good and smooth now. There is a bit of a whine or howl that sounds like hydraulic pump noise. I need to check fluid levels and see if thats the problem. I'll post a video once its uploaded.

Attachments

Sounds excellent sir! Some hydro whine, maybe new fluid and filter if it has one, will help quiet that. Looks like one gauge is missing, was that the temp gauge?

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Sounds excellent sir! Some hydro whine, maybe new fluid and filter if it has one, will help quiet that. Looks like one gauge is missing, was that the temp gauge?
Yep, the temp gauge in the dash was cut off. This also had a temp gauge with a relay, that still works, mounted below the distributor that I have been told cut the power to the ignition if it overheats. The owner said to take that out of the system so he is going to supply a new temp gauge.

Attachments

Have you flushed the radiator/engine, check/changed thermostat if one or radiator cap ? The Farmall A does not use a thermostat all only called for water in system unless in cold climates (freezing) and is a non-pressurized system.

21 - 40 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.