My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I picked up one of those portable garages to store my toy's in, so I wanted to pull the 12hp Kohler tonight so I can slide the tractor into the shed until the motor is running and I can finish stripping the JD down to rebuild.

I had high hopes for the motor because even after sitting outside for so long, she turned over nice and free at the flywheel. Well, I pulled the motor out and had it hanging from my chain hoist. I drained the oil and got about a quart of solid water and no oil. (Oh oh.....) This may not be a good thing! Well, it looks like the oil pan is held on with 4 bolts and that's all. Light tapping did not pop the pan off, so I figured I would ask here before I go much further. Are those 4 corner bolts all that holds the pan on? I want to get a better look inside the motor and see if she is even save able. The muffler was all rotted out so I think it's been open to water for quite a while.

I noticed that the dang electric lift looks to be fully extended and rather rusty too. What a shame, it may be shot too

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
That is all that holds the pan on. If the 112 is as rough as you say check out the one I have for sale in the classified ads. You couldnt fix the one you have for what im asking for this one. BILL

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I got a little more aggressive tapping it off and she popped off. Sitting in the oil pan was something that looked like a valve at first, but too small. So I lay it on the side thinking the worst, and heck if it does not look rather clean in all! Even the cylinder walls look good. The intake lifter snapped, but the valve itself spins free and seems like the seat is even good. The exhaust was a little stuck open, but alight tap in and it worked free.

So, how hard is it to replace the lifter? I have not pulled the flywheel, and it looks like the cam has to come out that way. How do you pull the cam on this motor? (It's late, and I will not be able to look at it until late tomorrow, so I figured I would ask)

If this is all she needs, it may not be too bad after all! The carb was pretty nasty, but stuff seems like it will free up, the butterfly's move and I got the float out already. I will grab a gallon of carb cleaner to soak it in.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Sounds like you are making good progress :fing32: You're lucky nothing is all rusted on the inside with water sitting in there. The service manuals are available on Kohlers website or in the library forum on here :goodl:

·
Super Moderator
32,153 Posts
Not hard at all. I have the 10hp one from my 112 apart now. I have a post on here about rebuilding it. From the Kohler website you can download the repair manual for free also. That tells you all about it. But a basic rundown is you need to get the crank out first. That means pulling the piston/rod assy, the pan [done], the flywheel, and the front bearing plate. If the bearings are good [and normaly they are] you can pull the crank and bearing plate together. Also some of these had balance gears in them. they need to come out.[and IMHO stay out!] Once the cranks out, there is a through pin that holds the cam in. that drives out only one way. [manual shows] cam will then come out,[watch for the shim!] and then you can get to the tappits. Im sure you can do it, and will have it wipped apart in a hour or so.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
You need to remove the flywheel piston and rod crank and camshaft pin. The cam pin must come out toward the flywheel. Take note of the shims between the end of the cam and the block.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.... I will spray it all out to get it a little cleaner and pull it apart. I just printed the manual all 137 pages! LOL I guess I need to head to Staples and have them bind it for me! Things sure did look better last night!

OH, and does anyone happen to have the oil dipstick tube kicking around? Maybe the tappets, but I found those on e-bay already that I can buy. However, I did not see that same style tube. Mine sticks outside of the hood and molts to the dash tower like a car design.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok.. I got just a little time to play with the motor tonight. I tore the breather down to access the lifter's and found a heavy amount of rust. I figured this would be the reason the head of the intake lifter was broken off. I shot it with a soaking of PB Blaster and poked it with a screw-driver. Much to my amazement, the lifter was free and moved up and down freely. It looks like it may be a simple replacement of the lifter on top of the carb rebuild and points / condenser replacement. I will grab some photos tomorrow.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
i posted pics of the blower on your other recent thread :fing32:

·
Premium Member
9,900 Posts
My 18 HP Briggs was full of water when I bought it for $80.00, I drained about 2 Qts and a lot of light brown milk immediately after getting it home. PO left it outside with no air filter cover. Pulled the intake, exaust, and valve covers. Sprayed lots of PB and changed the oil. Pulled the plugs and cranked till the battery got low. Changed oil again, and replaced plugs, cranked and let it run about 30 seconds....more brown milk out the breather tube. Changed oil again, rebuilt carb and ran for 10 minuets (all on the bench). Changed oil again, installed the engine and took for a 1.5 mile test drive. Changed the oil again. Cut the yard, 1.2 acres and did this..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3eO_J-fgoE .Dosn't smoke, or use oil. Only replaced the externals, didn't crack the block open. These Briggs amaxe me. Ps, This is my HULK II project if you search the forum.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I saw that, thanks! I have to get a good look at the correct one, but it looks like it can be converted. I am amazed that JD made adapter's to install the wrong attachments to a tractor... that is so cool! I wonder how hard it would be to find the adapter!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts