My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, decided to work on our "Green Machine"! Wish the PO didn't paint it! Thought at least I could get a grill in it! I love the sound of the Briggs opposed at idle. I am deciding what color to paint it when we do. Should go back to original silver. What do you guys think? Model# 917.253744 serial#S09486. Does that mean it is a 1986? Sure is a well built machine!
Here is picture next to my SS10 before the grill.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I'm not a "purist" when it comes to oem color/paint. Green happens to be my favorite color however, so I kinda like how it looks already. Neat grill too.

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Vonrow! I am debating to paint or not. The machine is our work machine, got it in trade. Runs great and works well. Wish it was painted better!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Green just isn't right on a Craftsman. Grab your sandpaper, D.A. sander, and silver paint. And when it's done, lay on some red and black stripes on the hoods sides. Get busy, Mister!

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
Your serial# is in the wrong format.
pre 1993 should be 4 numbers+a letter. Then 6 more numbers for unit built of that model.

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Bill, here is tag off the machine, can't tell if there is more numbers. Looks like it might be on one side.

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
I see what looks like 7055 S09486?
The fact it's not "neat" makes it obviously suspect.
Assuming it were true...
I would have been built the 705th day of a year that ended in 5 and would have been the 9486th 917.253744 built.

Is it the original engine?
IF so, what's the code?

·
Member: Special K Club
1,556 Posts
I see what looks like 7055 S09486?
The fact it's not "neat" makes it obviously suspect.
Assuming it were true...
I would have been built the 705th day of a year that ended in 5 and would have been the 9486th 917.253744 built.

Is it the original engine?
IF so, what's the code?
Bill,

I played with the picture using some photo enhancement software, & I think it's:

2054 S09468

Dave

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
705th day of a year obviously doesn't make sense. (at least on our planet)

2054 S09468
"proper" format "should be"-
2054S 09468
That would make it the 205th day (July 23, since it's leap year) of a year that ended in 4, Plant code "S" ("S" seems to be the norm in my limited experience)

IF the engine is original, the code would help. I'd expect the engine to be a "couple" months older than the tractor.
YYMMDDzz

Edit-
I downloaded the pic and agree about the 205. I'm thinking the last digit might be 6??
The numbers seem to be hand stamped. If you look at the very last 6, it's double struck.
Maybe it was the stampers 1st day on the job?
OTOH, July 23, 1984 WAS a Monday!

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I will get you the engine numbers when I return from vacation. I got the machine very cheap in trade. I am happy with its performance so far. Glad to learn some of its history. I found one in the junkyard today with same engine. I took the key switch and the ammeter with mount as mine is missing mount. My key is very worn.

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi larry! That's right, you got the same engine too! The hood is different though. Even got the same back tires! HAHA they are brothers from different mothers!! ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts