My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
OMG I got another LawnBoy
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate woodpeckers, except for Woody of course. They are eating my house and I don't know how to stop them. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Bird shot and/or metal siding would work.

Sarcasm aside, there has to be a reason they are attacking the building. Since they drill for food you must have an infestation of some type that is attracting them. Termites perhaps?

I'd call an exterminator and have them check it out. If you do have some kind of critter eating the house from inside the walls the woodpeckers have warned you.

Just a thought.

Mike

·
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's no bugs, I spray more than regularly. However the siding is masonite (old house), and I think they like the soft wood to try and find a winter home. Birdshot has already crossed my mind, but I live in the city limits...risky although I would probably get away with it. I might just have to bite the bullet and re-side the house because of this. Been here 12 years, never seen one until this spring.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,070 Posts
They are probably not eating the house. In the Fall, they will bang on the wood to establish their territory, leaving small holes. Definitely a nuisance. They will usually stay in one area at a time. You can try hanging foil strips or small wind chimes in that area to scare them away. Or, you can run out there like a wild man and try to scare them that way (works for me). :1287:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
They make a yellow beachball with big red circles just for repelling woodpeckers. You hang it from the area that they're pecking near.

·
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hung a CD that twists in the wind and I think they made friends with it.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I hung a CD that twists in the wind and I think they made friends with it.
That trick is supposed to work for Starlings as well. In a way it does. They gather around it watching the show and making a tempting shotgun target.

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,794 Posts

·
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
1 - 10 of 10 Posts