My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, this is the best time of year isn't it? I just love the fall...no bugs, cool days, cooler nights...
Ive had a big tree down along the side of my driveway, (power company cut it cuz it was so close to the wires and dead)

I had it in 8 ft lengths. Its poplar, so cuts like butter :fing32:(soft wood, fun to cut and stack, not so great at burning :fing20:)

Ive got 2 big piles of cut oak (3 ft lengths - 5 medium sized trees worth) that need to be cut, and split... (had a tree guy cut them, cuz they were right over my power wires & garage)

My personal rule of thumb, anything that I need cut, that has the chance of going through the house, garage or electrical wires - i have cut by a pro.
I'll cut anything as long as it wont do any damage in case it falls the wrong way..

as for my wood piles, I procrastinated for the summer - too dang hot... but 'tis the season' now... :fing32:

This will be wood for 'next' year. Its actually fun to cut now.... cool, not buggy... and of course, every thing i cut, means more heating oil i wont be getting...:fing32:

you guys been cutting all summer or do you take a break for the hot weather?

·
Administrator
12,534 Posts
I did stack 4 tons of Wood Pellets over the summer. ( 200 40# bags ) Also I just got through pruning the maples in my yard and over my garage. Does that count?

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
I cut in the fall or spring mostly.. I will cut during the summer if its a cool day or two.. I need to go get my cut and split piles outta the trees.. They are covered with tarps, need em closer to the house for the winter..

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
fall seems to be best for me.to many fumes in the heat.I like a little breeze to keep the sweat back.which doesn,t all ways work.cutting wood is no easy job.15 big loads on pickup truck.can,t wait to stack the last load.than you ,ve got to feed the stove all winter.nothing easy about saving money.one good thing. arms feel like trees when done.really tones the arms up.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
I almost NEVER cut in the summer!! Its just so much more enjoyable in the fall winter spring. Only thing cut in the summer is what HAS to be to get it out of the way.
:ditto: that for me as well. I really like cutting in the fall better, the cooler weather is so much more nice to be cutting and splitting wood in, plus less bugs and foliage to get in the way when working on stuff in the woods :rauch10:.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I am cutting this year too, my cousin has some deal with the forest service, they mark trees to be cut by a certain date, and he gets a big break on property tax. Leaving old growth type thing, i dunno. Anyway, i have 4 acres to cut, it runs about 4 trees out of ten that are marked, most are oak, maple, and locust, some crap stuff but all in all, a lot of good wood. This 4 acres has to be cut by Nov.16 though wood doesnt have to be out. Then the guy will come and mark 4 more acres, he has about 75 acres total. I already downed about 2+ acres, and hauled out 4 pickup loads, about 2 miles to my house. Very rough old logging road about a mile in to where i am cutting.
Im using a 2.1 cu in 16 inch bar Poland saw right now. Want to get a bigger one but that has to wait. Using a old 78 chevy 4x4 to haul on. Its a slow process, on a good day i can manage 2 pickup loads a day, that is on flatter areas, hills are another animal. Son n law is helping when he isnt working, but so far that is only on Sundays. It figures though, find someone who loves doing it, and they dont have the time.
Planning on taking my old GT out and dragging some nearer the road, most are around 6-10" dia. stuff, with some bigger. Its a lot of work, but also fun too. But compare free wood to what people charge for a load, ill put up with the work. So far we are splitting by hand, not doing to much at once. I think if i get enough to warrant it, ill rent a log splitter. Rather buy one, but again, cant afford it. Least i know by winter ill have enough to supplement the oil furnace and not run out. Just wish deals like this came around long before i was 50++

·
Registered
454 Posts
It’s a year around process, but most of the cutting I like to do in the late spring summer.

To start I like to lay the trees down and top them in the winter months. In the spring summer, we start marking the tress that we’ll take down later in the year. At the same time, we buck up the logs that we fell in the winter. Sure, it’s a little warmer, but when I’m done cutting and all sweaty I’m not freezing to death on the way back to the house. Well as the summer winds down and we’re done cutting, we start splitting. I like splitting better in the cooler seasons. When splitting, I’m not covered by the forest canopy and if it’s too warm out I am baking under the sun. We have tried several different tent type coverings and none has helped keep me from overheating when splitting. Right from splitting we load the trailer and stack the splits in to our lean-too, and move last year’s splits in to the wood room on the house. By that time winter is hitting us fully, and I take a month or 2 off as a break before we head out to start laying down the trees we marked earlier in the year.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I always cut and split with my best friend. Its far too dangerous not too.

In past years, we always cut and split in the spring and fall, with fall being my favorite time. To me, there is just nothing like the smell of the woods and the sound of a big Stihl on a cool, brisk fall morning.

This year we tried a little something different. We both had so many time constraints, we decided to try and save some time. We called a local logger and asked if he is still delivering loads of pulp wood. Around here, the lumber market is so depressed, that the paper mills are taking anything and everything for pulp. Long story short, we got a big tandem load of oak and hickory delivered for $350, divided between us.

We lit into the load in early spring, cutting into blocks and splitting during the cooler hours. After it was said and done, I have my winter's wood done, all but the hauling in and stacking, for $175. We can't go out into the woods, mark, cut, buck, and skid them in for that, in time alone, let alone fuel, inevitable equipment breakdowns, saw chains, etc.

Doing our wood this way is really freeing up some much needed hunting time this fall too. :fing32:

·
Super Moderator
32,682 Posts
I used to cut and split all my wood then I lost my "free wood" location because I changed jobs. This year I'm hauling slab wood in from a local saw mill by the bundle $10.00 for a 5 ft diameter by 14 ft average length. I figure 20 loads will do the whole winter but I'll probably buy 30 just in case ole man winter decides to stay in place for a while longer!

·
Registered
454 Posts
...Long story short, we got a big tandem load of oak and hickory delivered for $350, divided between us.

We lit into the load in early spring, cutting into blocks and splitting during the cooler hours. After it was said and done, I have my winter's wood done, all but the hauling in and stacking, for $175. We can't go out into the woods, mark, cut, buck, and skid them in for that, in time alone, let alone fuel, inevitable equipment breakdowns, saw chains, etc. ...
This is one of the only years I haven’t blown our “winter heating” budget by needing (or wanting) to buy a new saw. So this is one of the first times I have an actual idea of what we are paying or have been paying to heat our home for the winter.
So a quick break down, As of right now we have all our cutting done. We went through about 10 gallons of mix. Just the gas alone was say $30. I mix it a one gallon at a time and I know the mix costs too, but I have so many bottles laying around. I can’t even remember where they all come from. I started out last year with a free case from the dealer, I have used 10 bottles, but I still have a full case sitting under the workbench. But even if adding the cost for that it would be another $30, so $60 for saw fuel. Also need bar oil, go through about 2 gallons of that, at $12 apiece. Now for the tractor, so far this year we have put in $40 of diesel. I’m sitting now at a little over a 1/4 tank of fuel and will be adding another $20 before winter. The tractor will be used for not just “skidding” the logs, but I also use it to clear the driveway over the winter. So total we will be at $60 for tractor fuel for the year.
The bar and chains, there is not really a yearly cost to those. After each tank of fuel the bar’s are flipped, and “conditioned” if needed, and the chain is touched up to keep nice and sharp. If while cutting the chain starts getting dull I put that saw down and continue with a different saw while that one gets sharpened.
Now time is another story, but monetarily its only costing us ~$150.
Although, like I said in the beginning, I haven’t wasted money on a new saw yet this year, but I keep thinking about that Dolmar PS-5105, and now seeing our “heating bill” for this coming year is under $150 I think I need to go shopping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts