My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to order my JD4720. One of the attachments I wanted to get was the Frontier Woodchipper. I love the idea of a PTO driven Woodchipper which can be attached to the iMatch Quick-Hitch. And the fact that if I have any problems with a Frontier product I just call the JD dealer. But I am shocked with the prices!!!

Frontier WC1105 (Gravity Feed 5 In. Capacity) $4,300.00

Frontier WC1205 (Hydraulic Feed 5 In. Capacity) $6,500.00

My JD dealer just gives me a 10% discount on the Frontier Woodchippers. Now I have the following questions:

Does anybody have any experience with the Frontier Woodchippers?
Are the Frontier WC1105 & WC1205 of so high quality that the price is justified?
Is the Hydraulic Feed so superior to the Gravity Feed that it justifies the $2,200 price difference?
Is there another reliable company which produces a PTO driven Woodchippers?

Please share you insights.

Thank you,
Regards,
FRIZ

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I am getting ready to order my JD4720. One of the attachments I wanted to get was the Frontier Woodchipper. I love the idea of a PTO driven Woodchipper which can be attached to the iMatch Quick-Hitch. And the fact that if I have any problems with a Frontier product I just call the JD dealer. But I am shocked with the prices!!!

Frontier WC1105 (Gravity Feed 5 In. Capacity) $4,300.00

Frontier WC1205 (Hydraulic Feed 5 In. Capacity) $6,500.00

My JD dealer just gives me a 10% discount on the Frontier Woodchippers. Now I have the following questions:

Does anybody have any experience with the Frontier Woodchippers?
Are the Frontier WC1105 & WC1205 of so high quality that the price is justified?
Is the Hydraulic Feed so superior to the Gravity Feed that it justifies the $2,200 price difference?
Is there another reliable company which produces a PTO driven Woodchippers?

Please share you insights.

Thank you,
Regards,
FRIZ
Friz,

Can't comment on Fronteir chippers, I can tell you their products are top drawer, I run a landscaping/mini excavation business and have every attachment for our tractors they make, no issues at all.

I have three chippers, a Jinma 6" and two Bearcats a 5.5" and an 8"

The 2305 runs the Jinma, 2520 has the 5.5 Bearcat and my 2720 has the 8", man will these things chip wood.

I will tell you if you plan to do much chipping, stay clear of gravity feed, I have seen a few customers try to use them and they are desperate hard on your body as you are pushing the wood into the flywheel chippers.

Have a look at Bearcat, the quality is top drawer. I just added the 5.5" as the chipper blade on the Jinma cracked and I could not afford to be down a week while a replacement arrived, it was in Canadian $4,990.00 and worth every cent.

Andy

·
58th Infantry BCT, HOOAH
24 Posts
2305 running a woodchipper????

Question: I haven't found a way to keep the PTO working without someone in the 2305 seat. Is there a way? I was told to start the tractor without someone in the seat, and it would let you keep the PTO on, but that doesn't work.

I know I can just short out the seat switch, but I am looking to see if there is a real way to do this without bypassing the switch.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
bag of sand on the seat.
I have a 4 X 4 piece of hardwood I place on the seat then run a tie down across the two black handles and tighten it, on the 2520 and 2720 you simply put the brake on and you are good to go.

Yes the 2305 chips wood like a charm, I have a 6" Jimna that I use on it, a Bearcat on the 2520 and I just bought an 8" diesel bearcat as we have over 30 wood cleanup jobs to do.

I really like the bearcat units as they are a high speed chipper and require a lot less horse power, the 2305 basically plays with the Jimna but then again we do not chip over 3", I like the extra large openings on the 6 and 8 inch units for brush.

Here is the Bearcat unit:

Attachments

·
Workaholic
117 Posts
I like my Wallenstein. Very solid built unit; nothing chinzy about it. Mine is the BX62. Check out the BX42. If I ran one professionally several times a week for more than a few hours a pop, I'd want a hydraulic feed. But, for my work, I can just toss stuff in. I have to cut off some of the more stiff, cross-branches so that the flywheel pulls it in okay (mature lodgepole pine and doug fir). You wouldn't have to do that with a feeder. Depends on the type of material you put in there. Bendy stuff goes in no prob. I like the big chute and the rotating discharge. The unit folds up a bit, too, and I put it on a rolling dolly and push it into the corner of the garage.

One more thing, the Wallenstein is a chipper, not a shredder/chipper.

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
This saturday i am helping a good friend with his yard and tons of chipping to do.. six piles that each could cover a dead ford truck.. I will get a picture of what he rented.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Question: I haven't found a way to keep the PTO working without someone in the 2305 seat. Is there a way? I was told to start the tractor without someone in the seat, and it would let you keep the PTO on, but that doesn't work.

I know I can just short out the seat switch, but I am looking to see if there is a real way to do this without bypassing the switch.
With some tractors (like my BX2350) you simply flip the seat up all the way before engaging the rear PTO.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
I know Makissic(sp) make pto chippers. I had one converted to run off the pto of my Ingersoll. I like them as they have the hammer mill in addition to the chipper. The mill shreads material very well. Very tough built units IMO.

MU

·
Registered
76 Posts
Testing Rear PTO and Park Brake Interface
1. Sit on operator’s seat.

2. Lock park brake.

3. Push all PTO engagement knobs to the disengaged/off position.

4. PowrReverser: Depress clutch pedal completely and:

• Move the transmission range and gear shift levers into the center N (neutral) position.

• Move the reverser lever to the center neutral position.

5. Start machine engine. Set engine speed at 1500 rpm.

6. PowrReverser: Release clutch pedal.

7. Raise up from operator’s seat. Do not dismount machine.

8. Pull the rear PTO engagement knob to the engaged/on position.

• Rear PTO should operate.

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
SAFETY AND Re: Woodchippers?

I know that many people on this discussion group LOVE to remove safety devices. I'd like to share a little story about someone from Kenosha County and his woodchipper.

Seems that the genius removed all of the interlocks on his chipper. One day, he was working with a crew chipping some downed trees. You can guess where this is heading. A log got stuck so he grabbed on the edge of the intake chute and tried to kick the log free. The emergency squad called the fire department to bring a hose truck for the clean up.

If you don't want to believe the story, just go check on Tree chippers and Pleasant Prairie Wisconsin. It happened about 2 years ago.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Running a wood chipper is an inherently dangerous endavour. I am sure that many have heard about severe or even grave outcomes from being careless, however, the safety features must be circumvented on a JD 2305 in order to run the chipper unless you have someone sitting on the seat which doesn't make much sense to me.

I have chosen one of the least safe bypasses; a jumper I installed where the seat switch normally is. I acknowledge that this is a more dangerous practice than most, and I have re-thought it some after reading this post. The weight in the seat would be better so that I don't forget and leave the jumper in place during normal operation.

I think the bottom line is just to be very careful, and stay attentive.

As far as woodchippers, I couldn't justify paying the high prices for any of the other units, so I went with the Jinma 6". I have been very happy, and have ground up ~ 100 cedar trees ranging in size from 3" to 20" trunk size. Of course I didn't chip the whole trunk on the big ones, but I limbed them all, and chipped the brush. If you watch your feed, even with the little 2305, it will take even the big (5+ inch) branches. I agree with Andy and the others that gravity feed chippers are nearly worthless unless you only have a small amouont of brush to take care of. You will be continuously trying to shove the wood down the chute. Talk about dangerous! The feed on the Jima isn't perfect, but if you are a little patient, it normally works very well.

If you decide on the Jinma, check all the bolts frequently, and keep it WELL lubricated, especially the feed mechanism.

Happy tractoring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts