My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Still plays with tractors
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Its a lot easier to move the cold air than warm. Open the door at the top of the stairs and put a fan on the floor blowing down.
Yeah, we usually keep the basement door partially open when the stove is going. I had thought about putting a vent in the door but I'm not convinced I want to go that route.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Try simply adding a fan on the floor blowing cold air down through the doorway...you might be surprised how much more warm air comes up than just with the door open. If you are set on running it through the ductwork, I would look at something like the Englander add on furnace. It would deal with both your creosote and distribution challenges. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
if your pipe is on the supply side of the furnace. you may need a back draft damper in it.
if the furnace comes on so not to blow air on the stove
they also make 120 volt tstats to run fans with.

john

·
Still plays with tractors
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well as a follow up to this old thread, I want to let you in on what I did. I figured I had to start somewhere so I got some new black pipe and took the heat reclaimer out completely. I set it beside the stove fully expecting to install it again. Been burning for over a week now and had one pretty cold snap mid week (around 8 degrees F) with snow. My gas furnace never even came close to kicking on. I have it set to kick on at 68 but the house never went below 70. I guess I'm just now discovering what everyone else has known for years. Keep the floors warm, keep the house warm. I leave the basement door open a few inches and enjoy the free heat! If it gets too warm in the house (has been as high as 78!), I just close the basement door until it cools down a little. I may never put a blower on this stove again. Hey, thanks again for all the input on this. I really appreciate the ideas.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,098 Posts
Glad you got it solved. I too have my stove in the basement. I have no door to the downstairs so get plenty of heat flow upstairs. Got the upstairs set at 65 deg. The heat has only come on early morning before I get chance to put wood in.
Nothing better than warm ceramic tile floors in the bathroom when you get up during the night or early morning to go potty!
I may still get one of those heat powered fans to help distribute it better downstairs.

·
Parts collector
3,442 Posts
Ha ha I hate the "magic" heat boxes. I used a coal stove at the bedroom end of the house in the basement for 15 years and piped the hot air (no fan just a 2'x18" hood) through ducts to each bedroom and one 6" pipe with a blower to the other end of the house. No other heat but a wood stove at the other end of the house in the basement. House never got below 55* with just the coal stove and the floors stayed warm all winter long. When we did have a cold blast i would fire up the wood stove to supplement the coal stove.

Glad you got it worked out. :thThumbsU

21 - 26 of 26 Posts