My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a suburban i believe to be about a 12hp unknown due to so many layers of paint. i am having a real hard time keeping it running, it will not idle at all only wide open and seems to be runnning very lean and hot so i stopped using it. i am noticing some smoke blowing out were the head, and block meet so i guess the head gasket is shot could this be causing my problems? ill get some pics up asap of it with the grader blade i built for it's 3pt hitch

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
Sounds like the head gasket. How much compression does it have?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
sounds to me its running lean, which can cause the headgasket to give up. my 12 had a blown head gasket when i got it and still ran fine, just weak.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ill pick one up this morning then its been leaking there since i got it running but was missing the lower needle in the carb when i got it so probably was run lean and caused it...guess that would explain why its seems to have no power when it does run thank you both

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
You wont get an accurate reading anyway,it has a built in compression release for easier starts,so a compression gauge wont give a good indication of actual comprtession..

If the blower housing is clogged with a rats nest or grass clippings it'll overheat and could blow the head gasket and make it seem to be running lean too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well bad news the parts store/ mower shop cannot get the head gasket so i guess im outta luck unless someone knows something on either making one or finding one...real bummer too since i just got the carb kit to finish freshening it up this week

·
Registered
766 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.