My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Well, you know how it goes.. You get a toy and then see something else and start drooling over it.. That's what's happening to me at the moment..

I've got a new Cub GT3100 with 50" deck, 4 Cub suitcase weights, Carlisle Super Lugs, and a Johnny Bucket Jr w/power lift and 2x power dump, and bucket doubler. I've also got the joystick control which I havent installed. It's got 45 hours.

Now to the dilemma.. I love the Cub and Johnny Bucket and have gotten tons of use out of it.. I've also been thinking about possibly adding a kwik-way loader to it.. But... something else has caught my eye..

I've been drooling over these Simplicity XL's tractors.. There is a lot that I like about them - the joystick control, loader (I know it's a kwik-way), dash (tach, fuel gauge, etc)

I can't swing a brand new one, but have been thinking about selling the Cub package and buying a used XL. There seem to be a fair amount floating around at some decent prices.

I realize that I'd be selling a tractor with a warranty and buying one without a warranty.. Outside of that negative, do you see any other reasons not to entertain the idea?

Thanks for the advice!
Scott

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I realize that I'd be selling a tractor with a warranty and buying one without a warranty.. Outside of that negative, do you see any other reasons not to entertain the idea?
The major problem IMO is you'll take a wicked hit in regards to resale value. You've probably got ~$10K invested and would be lucky to recoup half.

Joel

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True.. I'm not expecting to get dealer price for the machine, but I figured that it would be possible to get decent $ for it, at least with the addition of the accessories. To be honest, and this might be the "I need something that I don't have" syndrome, but if I could make it a wash (selling the Cub and accessories and getting the Simplicity with loader and breaking even), then I'd probably be satisfied..

I guess I could always list it online and gauge the response...

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Oh I hear ya. Sometimes the worst thing that can happen is you get exactly what you want.:crybaby: As much as us tractor/OPE enthusiasts love tinkering with our machines, adding on, modding them and all.. a JB and all the goodies isn't worth anything to the other ~90% of the population. I know it can vary by area, but several basically new 3K series owners in my area have been trying to sell their machines for months in the $5K range. They're still for sale. The 3K's are a tough sell today when you can get a compact diesel 4x4 for not a whole lot more.

Joel

·
Banned
852 Posts
Oh I hear ya. Sometimes the worst thing that can happen is you get exactly what you want.:crybaby: As much as us tractor/OPE enthusiasts love tinkering with our machines, adding on, modding them and all.. a JB and all the goodies isn't worth anything to the other ~90% of the population. I know it can vary by area, but several basically new 3K series owners in my area have been trying to sell their machines for months in the $5K range. They're still for sale. The 3K's are a tough sell today when you can get a compact diesel 4x4 for not a whole lot more.

Joel

This discussion has taken place here before and you got this one right on.

The Simplicitys are nice though.

I'm building a tractor dedicated to the FEL, I'll have a little more that $3k invested.

Might want to concider mutiple tractors dedicated to different purposes. Or just move to a compact.

Scott

·
Banned
852 Posts
Concider also that this is a natural evolution and you need not fret over it. I suspect as much that you like your 3xxx but it's very limiting and you now realize it, just move up and on when you can.

BTW I'm just playing now and when I'm through I will get a compact and sell my cubs, 4x4 is a near must here in the mountains.

Scott

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The Simplicity Legacy XL is a great looking machine for sure, 4x4, diesel option, the biggest, baddest TuffTorq K92 rear, etc.. Plus you can't beat Simplicity for operator comfort, but again I think you'll find yourself yearning for a "tractor". Also, for the price; You may as well step up to a slightly larger, heavier Kubota or the likes for the same price/options.

Joel

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm sure I'll get over it.. In the meantime, I'll keep on the lookout and when I can trade up, I'll go for it...

Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you give any thought to trading in your 3000? Dealer may give you a sweet deal to move one of his tractors in stock.

I've thought about it, although I'm thinking that I'd take a beating trading it in to the dealer... If they're trying to move new stock, they could probably just as easliy move their own brand (Simplicity) vs moving my machine..

I'm actually thinking that maybe I could have some luck with finding a dealer who has a pre-owned model. I'm sure that I'd still take a decent loss on trading it in, but it might come more into line.. They can always mark it up and make a profit.

I know that if I sell it myself or trade it, I'll never get all of my $ back, but I'd sure love to get at least within 1K.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts