My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Blank Space
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have to admit that burning wood puts a lot of junk in the air. All you have to do is check your chimney/smoke stack.

I have a feeling that it won't be too many more years before they target people that heat with wood.

Some of us do it by choice, others by need. I've got so much around the yard that has to be disposed of one way or another. Burn it inside. Burn it outside. Chip/shred it. Haul it away. Or just let it rot. All but the last has a cost associated.

Does it matter if we each burn wood, or if we use a fuel or energy source where others burn something to produce it?

Are we really saving money? Gas, oil, tools to cut and haul wood all cost money. Annually, is it more or less that utilities would cost?

Some sell wood. Does the income offset the costs and labor?

·
Super Moderator
31,374 Posts
Its already underway. Cant burn leaves in NY. some areas you need to use high end efficient stoves. I would say you can follow the actions of Ca, and NY. Some good has come with it.. A nice solid sealed stove, burns a lot more efficient then the old leaky cast stoves of the past. Better heat, and cleaner burning.. that part is good. Now the catalytic stoves... Not a big fan...

·
15,000 +posts!
19,712 Posts
Not only are "they" trying to ban wood burning in all forms due to "environmental concerns",there are other ways they are discouraging using wood or pellet stoves for "alternative heat sources"...

It is getting more difficult to INSURE a house that has a wood stove--or should I say expensive--many insurers here are telling customers either get rid of the wood stove,or pay up to 500 or more additional dollars if you want house insurance..some simply refuse to sell you a policy if you insist on keeping one!..and if you do,they will insist on a complete inspection of the chimney,and that all piping is new and up to code,properly installed,and that can easily cost much more than any "savings" on fuel for a furnace by having the stove..

They also wont issue a policy on a home here with a roof thats over 20 years old,if its asphalt shingled..even if its still in perfect condition..

No doubt wood smoke does irritate many persons lungs,I have developed asthma in the past decade and if I use the wood stove I am affected greatly by the smoke,some woods worse than others--cherry wood and some oak makes me wheeze bad..but I'm also bothered more by exhaust fumes,gasoline,diesel fuel fumes and liquid odors,perfumes,and paint too...
I wish they would ban perfumes and colones more than wood stoves,some can litterally put me in respiratory arrest,if I encounter someone who bathed in it in a store or other enclosed area..

I think there are many other more harmful sources of pollution than wood smoke..but "they" dont want us to have any means of staying warm for "free" ,so I'm sure eventually they will succeed in banning wood fueled home heating options,especially in cities and closely settled suburban areas..

·
What did you say ?
582 Posts
I live 'downwind' from people who burn wood. I get their 2nd hand smoke and hate it. The smoke causes my eyes to dry up and trap particles. It is miserable but hot salsa and corn chips puts me right :)

Maybe I can put them onto using a rocket stove.

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,235 Posts
before they ban wood burnin.. maybe the EPA should ban all forest fires.. & house fires that r not related to wood burnin as a start source.. if the EPA had their way on this they could ban all wood from bein used in a home..

·
Blank Space
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think there are many other more harmful sources of pollution than wood smoke..but "they" dont want us to have any means of staying warm for "free" ,so I'm sure eventually they will succeed in banning wood fueled home heating options,especially in cities and closely settled suburban areas..
That's the 'they' I'm referring to, not the other 'they' that would like to clean the air. I mean the 'they' that doesn't want us to be able to do anything without them getting a piece of it.

KY just got another one of those 'theys'.

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
I don't have to burn wood and I've often pondered the cost effectiveness of it. For me and the house I live in now I think I an buy the wood, if I find it cheap enough and still come out ahead. I personally like the wood heat and I keep my home warmer with the stove than I would with the furnace.

I had a new energy efficient stove installed after i moved in here, the old stove was dangerous. This one has a chamber at the top that once it's up to temp it ignites the smoke and works pretty well. Once everything is up to temp no smoke comes out of the chimney. It is not a catalyst stove.

I hope to at least get this year and next with wood, I may not be able to physically do the wood after that anyway.

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,235 Posts
That's the 'they' I'm referring to, not the other 'they' that would like to clean the air. I mean the 'they' that doesn't want us to be able to do anything without them getting a piece of it.

KY just got another one of those 'theys'.
have u had any new people come investigate ur smoke & think that u had fired up a shine batch....lol

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Around here, outdoor wood boilers have become the rage. I think those may be the straw that breaks the camel's back. On the right day, they can create a large cloud of smoke that just hangs and hangs. Maybe (hopefully) the newer ones are a better design, but I'd hate to be the next door neighbor to one of them.

I love the smell of wood smoke, but when the air is hazy with it I tend to draw the line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts