My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a WIX hydro filter on my Cub Cadet 1872 and read on here that it doesn't have enough return holes than the factory ones have. If so would or could this be causing my relief valve to leak?

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
New Cub Cadet 1250 thread.
Thanks because this is a new one on me Wix has always been a top of the line filter, I can imagine them making an inferior part that doesn't meet the OEM specs.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks because this is a new one on me Wix has always been a top of the line filter, I can imagine them making an inferior part that doesn't meet the OEM specs.
Agree but shortly after getting and changing oil and filters my valve started leaking and then to read that? Don't want to buy a $150 valve if a $15 filter fixes it!

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Ok I just looked at the thread and not to stir the pot but one person posted that and if you look he only has 3 total posts and hasn't been back for a month ?

If you're a die hard fan of OEM the use their filter if not I would give Wix a call and ask them, I do agree with the Fram comment but Wix has been around for years and in this part of the country they are a mainstay.

Not to mention I bet if Cub was honest about who makes their filters I think you may be shocked, it's more than likely a re branded filter but who the manufacturer of the month is anyones guess ?

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Agree but shortly after getting and changing oil and filters my valve started leaking and then to read that? Don't want to buy a $150 valve if a $15 filter fixes it!
Well you could try an OEM filter but I'll bet it's still going to leak !

Did you use the OEM fluid and filter ?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Brand of oil filter has got nothing to do with relief valves leaking. I've never had any problems with Wix filters on the hydros or motors.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I used the WIX cross filter and the right grade oil.
If you think the filter is the problem the switch to the stock one and see if it helps but I doubt it.

And the right grade oil what does that mean, was it what they sell at Cub Cadet ?

How bad was the oil you took out ?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you think the filter is the problem the switch to the stock one and see if it helps but I doubt it.

And the right grade oil what does that mean, was it what they sell at Cub Cadet ?

How bad was the oil you took out ?
The oil met OEM requirments and the oil i removed looked good.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
The oil met OEM requirments and the oil i removed looked good.
The only reason I asked is because you were told it meets the OEM requirements according to who ?

Like I said if you think it's the non OEM filter and oil then go with original CC parts, but I'm sure that even if you did it would still leak.

This is just a guess but it is one of two things :

#1- The new fluid washed away some of the old buildup that was in the seal causing a leak.

#2- It was just dumb luck that it started leaking right after you changed the oil, it does happen.

As far as size of the holes in the filter take a look at the one you took off and compare it to the new one I bet you find it's about the same i.e. if the OEM filter has 8 1/4" holes thats 2" of flow and if the Wix has 4 1/2" holes it's still 2" of flow, to give you a rough and dirty example.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only reason I asked is because you were told it meets the OEM requirements according to who ?

Like I said if you think it's the non OEM filter and oil then go with original CC parts, but I'm sure that even if you did it would still leak.

#1- The new fluid washed away some of the old buildup that was in the seal causing a leak.

#2- It was just dumb luck that it started leaking right after you changed the oil, it does happen.

As far as size of the holes in the filter take a look at the one you took off and compare it to the new one I bet you find it's about the same i.e. if the OEM filter has 8 1/4" holes thats 2" of flow and if the Wix has 4 1/2" holes it's still 2" of flow, to give you a rough and dirty example.
I did take the valve out and clean it and put new outside o-rings on it and it sealed up for a month or so, now leaking again. I did the oil change at the beginning of the season right after I got the tractor and I am sure it is dumb luck but just checking out there if there has been more of this with all brands.

·
Banned
2 Posts
I put a WIX hydro filter on my Cub Cadet 1872 and read on here that it doesn't have enough return holes than the factory ones have. If so would or could this be causing my relief valve to leak?

I dont use there filters anymore it is true ..I also stopped using them on my street car and race car for this reason after i toasted a brand new 355 SBC didn't have more then 200 miles on it and was put together by a machine shop ..They traced it back to the filter and said it couldn't keep with the oil pumps demand for oil we put new bearings in it and used a stock OEM filter its been in my El camino ever since with no trouble ..Your better off to use the OEM filter ..As for your relief valve i am not sure if the filter would cause this prob it could be possible

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I dont use there filters anymore it is true ..I also stopped using them on my street car and race car for this reason after i toasted a brand new 355 SBC didn't have more then 200 miles on it and was put together by a machine shop ..They traced it back to the filter and said it couldn't keep with the oil pumps demand for oil we put new bearings in it and used a stock OEM filter its been in my El camino ever since with no trouble ..Your better off to use the OEM filter ..As for your relief valve i am not sure if the filter would cause this prob it could be possible
I agree that if you have concerns about the filter go with a stock one, but how do you know they didn't just say that to cover their butts ?

I'm not pushing one brand over another but think about how many are out there doing the job it's supposed to do, you would think that they would have a horrible reputation if they were that bad.

And when they rebuilt the engine did the put in a high flow oil pump ? If so then they screwed the pooch on that by not using a hi flow oil filter.

Also 200 miles seems like not enough break in time for an engine ?

JMHO

·
Registered
465 Posts
Ok I just looked at the thread and not to stir the pot but one person posted that and if you look he only has 3 total posts and hasn't been back for a month ?

If you're a die hard fan of OEM the use their filter if not I would give Wix a call and ask them, I do agree with the Fram comment but Wix has been around for years and in this part of the country they are a mainstay.

Not to mention I bet if Cub was honest about who makes their filters I think you may be shocked, it's more than likely a re branded filter but who the manufacturer of the month is anyones guess ?
WIX is VERY respected around here. Many of us use them exclusively in farm machinery, vehicles, etc....

CALL WIX ---- ASK THEM!

·
Registered
962 Posts

From working around the sewer an water pipe industry for awhile, I can tell you this. Anytime you double the size of a pipe (or hole) it will carry almost 6 times as much.

·
Registered
962 Posts
By the way, most govt equipment uses wix filters.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts