My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to check out a 2002 New Holland TC 33. 1074 hours on the clock. 1st issue was a dead battery, 2nd oil level below low mark, 3rd radiator 1/2 gallon low, 4th while running, coolant bubbled up like a fountain in the radiator. The low coolant and fountain issue indicates to me a blown head gasket. any thoughts?

· Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Low time engine, high time problems.

For sure a head gasket at least... is the head cracked, piston/cylinder damage? Who knows. Where did the coolant go (maybe through the engine, but why in the first place), how bad was the oil besides being low?

How did it sound?

50/50~60/40~70/30... depends on how cheap you can get it I guess...

· Super Moderator
13,717 Posts
At the very least you know it was not taken care of. Ends up being worn out everywhere from neglect. I always feel it's money ahead to to pick something that doesnt trigger the "Something aint right" vibe.

Unless you really want a project or are broke/can get it cheap and fix it up. I do that sometimes. Finance it making payments to the parts stores. :D

· Registered
5,516 Posts
Price should at least reflect the cost a rebuilt, or rebuilding of the engine. But remember, the rest of the machine got the same maintenance/attention as the engine did. How is the trans oil looking...if any in it. 😉
Leaking seals, brakes, steering...clutch if so equipped, all the usual stuff. Tires ought to have some life but are they rotted, filled with brine rotting the wheels, repaired? Tires and wheels aren't real cheap either.

· Professional Homeowner
8,844 Posts
I don’t know what a good deal would be, but if you can get it for the right price, I’d say go for it. Assume it will need a new head AT THE VERY LEAST, and possibly more engine wise. How much work are you willing/able to do & how much is the hassle worth? How’s the rest of the machine?

· Registered
4,187 Posts
Hmm..........It sounds like serious issues brewing.

FWIW I bought a very low hours 2002 Case IH DX33 a year ago, 398 hours. It appears the grease gun did not make regular visits to this machine. The treadle pedal would not return to center and had to be moved physically to stop from going forward or reverse. All the other linkages were pretty stiff and did not shift well, PTO were hard to engage as was 4WD. Now 100 hours later it works as it should and is an excellent running tractor. Had to replace the coolant drain petcock on the block last week as it was weeping slightly. The benefit on having a non tier 4 motor is huge in my book.

Switched from a pin on bucket to a quick attach, tires are now filled with beet juice and rims flipped for stability. Works fantastic for running sprayer in the orchard.
While using for firewood duty with a fair amount of idle time, it burns way less than half the fuel
Tire Wheel Automotive design Automotive tire Red
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
Motor vehicle Transport Speedometer Red Orange
Automotive design Machine Bumper Kit car Personal luxury car
Grass Fender Automotive tire Tread Smoke
the X758 does.

What do they want for it?

· Registered
4,187 Posts
Mr. OP, one poster to the courtesy phone please???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.