My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to figure out how to wire work lights on my BX2380. The problem I am having is I purchased a wiring harness off Amazon to use in the process. It has a Relay in the harness as well as a 5-pole switch. I want to use a 3-pole switch and am stumped as to how to proceed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Perhaps you could post a schematic if one was included with the harness.
I have no idea why you need a 5 or 3 pole switch. I switch two forward LED lights with a single (1) pole switch and another one for two rearward LED lights. Maybe describe what you plan to do and why you think you need extra poles.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps you could post a schematic if one was included with the harness.
I have no idea why you need a 5 or 3 pole switch. I switch two forward LED lights with a single (1) pole switch and another one for two rearward LED lights. Maybe describe what you plan to do and why you think you need extra poles.
I thought ordering the wiring harness would make the whole process easier. It hasn't. Don't, at this point, know what I need to complete the wiring.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If the switch has a low current rating for each pole, then you would want as low as one light per pole. Figure out how much current each light draws and compare it to the switch rating (each pole). If the lights are LEDs, they won’t draw much current. Halogen or incandescent will be much higher current per light.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lights I am wiring are LEDs. I ran a wire from my relay to the line at the back of the tractor that is always on and then ran a wire from the relay to my switch. I ran a second line from the switch to the lights. Finally I ran a ground wire into the ground line at the rear of the tractor from the relay. I turned the switch on and the lights came on. I turned the switch off and the lights went out. However something is very wrong because the hot wire from the Relay to the switch started smoking and melted before I could pull all the connections. Where did I go wrong?

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
If you are using a relay there should not be a wire directly from the switch to the lights. The relay is itself a switch that allows a switched small current to control a larger current. One wire on the switch should be connected via a fuse to the battery or some other spot where you want to connect for power, like the "run" position on the key switch. The other side of the switch should only go to one primary post on the relay, and the other primary post of the relay should be connected to ground. Then you should run a thicker gauge wire directly from the battery through a fuse to one of the secondary posts of the relay and another thicker gauge wire from the other secondary post of the relay to the lights, and then ground the other side of the lights. The wires used for the switch and primary posts of the relay can be fairlky light gauge, like 16 gauge or even 18 gauge depending on the current draw of the primary of the coil. The heavier gauge wires for the secondary posts on the relay should be sized according to the total current draw of the lights. And the two fuses should be sized accordingly as well. If you had a wire get too hot then you either didn't have a fuse at all in that part of the circuit or the fuse was sized too large for the wire gauge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts