My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I expect to pay to get my truck wired up and an electric brake controller installed. I have the hitch already on?

·
Registered
473 Posts
In your neck of the woods I would say $150 give or take. then there is the cost of installing the hitch. Call around and get some quotes form places that sell trailers. I might be way off. I have not had one done in over 20 years. I do my own now. It is not hard to do.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Need more info. What model truck? Does it have towing package installed? If so, very easy and inexpensive to install brake controller. I have '05 Silverado and it took 30 min and cost about $50 for the controller. The controllers vary from about $50-$100 depending on how fancy you want to go. I pull a 32 foot travel trailer with my truck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fist guy I ask hit me for 2 bills. I thought that might be a little much! I think I will do some more looking.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,450 Posts
Wiring a up hitch is as easy, plug in deal now that you can buy those harnesses that plug right into the factory wiring harness on most any truck built since the 70's at any trailer place or parts store,even WalMart has them I think..

Hooking up a brake controller isn't too complicated either,I'd do it myself ,I have put in a few many years back,and I didn't have any trouble,just read and folowed the directions..I think many newer trucks have a harness for one already there left unused if no factory towing package was installed,if I remember right..

·
Registered
92 Posts
So easy a "caveman" can do it.:trink40:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its going on a 2000 model. That was before they were plug and play. Looks like a couple hours for someone who has done it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts