My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nobody answered my other similar question so I wondering how to wire a double pole, double throw switch so I can change the polarity of electricity going to a DC motor in a Lionel train engine?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Nobody answered my other similar question so I wondering how to wire a double pole, double throw switch so I can change the polarity of electricity going to a DC motor in a Lionel train engine?
I don't have a piece of paper to do a drawing in but it is easy. Use the normally closed contact for your normal direction. Use the normally open for the reverse polarity. The wires to your train come from the common point.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
Power to the middle two legs.
Solder a wire from top right leg (faceing back of switch) to bottom left.
Solder a wire from top left leg (faceing back of switch) to bottom right.
Tap off both bottom legs to motor.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been trying to find small female what I think are spade connectors to fit over the contacts on the Radio Shack 275-0403 switches I am using. They are just over 1/10th of an inch wide. I'd rather use connectors than try to solder all those little contacts. I searched through my hobby desk and found my wiring diagram from when I last worked on this project about 2 winters ago. My diagram included the way the reverser switch is wired. I have some Lionel diesel engines that take in AC power into a little circuit board. The board has a function for "foreward, nuetral, reverse and produces a DC output going to little DC can motors. My wiring diagram includes 3 DPDT switches which allows the engines to be ran from DC track voltage bypassing the factory circuit board.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
I have been trying to find small female what I think are spade connectors to fit over the contacts on the Radio Shack 275-0403 switches I am using. They are just over 1/10th of an inch wide. I'd rather use connectors than try to solder all those little contacts. I searched through my hobby desk and found my wiring diagram from when I last worked on this project about 2 winters ago. My diagram included the way the reverser switch is wired. I have some Lionel diesel engines that take in AC power into a little circuit board. The board has a function for "foreward, nuetral, reverse and produces a DC output going to little DC can motors. My wiring diagram includes 3 DPDT switches which allows the engines to be ran from DC track voltage bypassing the factory circuit board.
This reversing only works on DC...

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The path of the wiring diagram I came up with is:
track power pos & neg to
1st added DPDT switch, switching to either
Lionel circuit board or 2nd added DPDT switch to
3rd added DPDT switch to
Lionel DC drive motor.

I will post pictures of my wiring diagram later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts