My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Buy High, Sell Low
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm looking to rewire the B80, and I've seen this stainless steel braided wire wrap before that I'd love to try. Problem is, I don't know the technical name for it and/or where to look for it? Have any of you used it to sleeve your wiring projects? If so, where did you find it?

Thanks

·
Buy High, Sell Low
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that's decent stuff...but I'd much rather go the stainless braided rout. I appreciate the link though.

·
Sparky
297 Posts
I know that they make braided stainless "cord grips" for connecting SO cord to electrical boxes, but I would be nervous about using a conductive shroud in an engine compartment. Unless the wire has really thick insulation(like SO cord) I would imagine the vibration of the engine could skin the wire insulation and cause shorts.

However, if you have rodent issues in your garage/barn, then metal braid might help.

This site sells by the foot:

http://cableorganizer.com/metal-braided-sleeving/

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just thought to my self why not use regular plactic tubing you can get at anh hardware store. I have some wiring to do on a Raider 10 and will give it a try. Would afford extra protection and make for neater wiring. I want to thank you for giving me the idea. ragman35

·
Sparky
297 Posts
Ragman, you can also locate some plastic wire loom to hold your freshly organized wire in place. Your local car audio store is probably your best bet to get loom by the foot. Loom is nice because you can add or remove one wire at a time for additions, repairs and/or diagnostics. Plastic tubing would do that same thing if you slit one side the long ways and held it together with cable ties. I am an electrical controls guru by trade. Organized accessible wiring is a must.

·
Registered
21 Posts
thanks for the input the loom sounds like a better idea. I do not care for most tapes because the adhesive tends to deteriorate with age. ragman

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,678 Posts
There's stuff called 'split conduit' that's made out of ABS. It's flexible, and can stand some heat. It's used a lot in automobile engine compartments. I used to work in Corporate Television and we used it a lot on sets to make wire bundles managable.

I bought 500' of the stuff (smallest quantity I could get, then) a number of years ago to run stereo wires in for my living room and I still have a lot of it left over. Been giving it away to friends to run their computer wires and such. If you weren't so awful far away, I'd mail you some...

Here's the next best thing. This outfit sells it by the foot, so you can choose your size and order only what you need.

LINK

And in case the link doesn't work:
https://www.surplusunlimited.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=0400-110

Hope this helps you. :goodl:

·
Buy High, Sell Low
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks.....that looks like it would work perfectly. I'll be curious to see how well it holds up to our weather.

I wonder how you'd make the transitions look good? Have you seen any rubber grommets that would work for end termination points?

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,678 Posts
Thanks.....that looks like it would work perfectly. I'll be curious to see how well it holds up to our weather.

I wonder how you'd make the transitions look good? Have you seen any rubber grommets that would work for end termination points?
Generally they use black silicone sealant and just fill the end of the split conduit for about a half inch. Keeps the crud and the critters out.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Maybe a day late and a $ short... but did or can you check Radio Shack? They've usually got electrical and wiring do-hickeeys and whatz-its galore.....just a thought.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just thought to my self why not use regular plactic tubing you can get at anh hardware store. I have some wiring to do on a Raider 10 and will give it a try. Would afford extra protection and make for neater wiring. I want to thank you for giving me the idea. ragman35
I use to buy the clear hose and dye it the color I wanted on Harley's.:fing32:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
If it was me and its not buty heres my .02 worth
I wouldnt use stainless steel and heres why we all know about the shaking and moving around so what happens when a wire rubs a bare spot hummmmm some thing cooks
Now I would use the plastic wire loom and spray it what ever color I wanted
Like i said just my two cents worth

1 - 14 of 14 Posts