My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving along well with my 444 rebuild, but have hit kinda a jam. I am replacing the wire harness, becouse it was in REAL bad shape. Wires cut, and spliced, burnt wires etc. I have most of the connections set, but a few I am kinda lost with. Anyone else have a mid 80's Ingersoll that they can look at there wire harness for me? Here are some picts .....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Making wire harness is one thing I have always liked to do. I used to make harnesses with over 100 conductors and connectors off them in them that were from the tail to the nose of aircraft and everything inbetween during my military career. We used to have a wire braiding machine which you would make up the harness and use small strips of tape to ho9ld in place, and then feed it through this machine and it would knit and weave a woven loom over the entire harness. The threads used were kevlar and came in standard black, white a OD green. Of course you could always get different "brighter" colors as well.kelly green, blues, yellows, reds etc.......so I was always up to making harness for folks for trailers, vehicles and tractors........Since I left they have since scraped that loom making machine and turned it in as junk....... as depot no longer wants harnesses made by field level shops (afraid field level personel are infringing on their job security) I often thought about going to the DRMO yard and bidding on it, and its still there.......as far as I know, but its uncovered and rusted as can be......A real shame, as that machine in the civilian world and restorations on vehicles, tractors etc had a lot of potential.

I don't know if it would be a good idea or not, but posting schematics to anay tractors electrical systems on the forum may be of some value sometime to someone......I dunno if the site has it or not, as my memory is not all that good, but a library site would be fantastic IMHO. Not a forum for arbitraily osting anything, but a forum dedicated to specifics.........Electrical, Hydraulics, Filter cross references etc.....perhaps a sub catagory under the main catagory. (I can't stop and look to see if there is a library section as I have typed to much and will loose it if I go to look so I am just assuming here)

·
Super Moderator
31,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, a rundown on the pictures...

In picture one. I have no idea what that part is. Anyone have any idea?? It looks like the one wire had went to the pos side of the selnoid.

The second pic is the voltage reg, and jumper harness. I THINK thats were the two wires out of the motor hook up to. Does that sound right?

·
Super Moderator
31,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In number three is a red wire to the ing switch. As far as I can figure out, that goes to the thrd red wire on the voltage red. That should be the main power wire from the reg to the rest of the electral system right?

In the second group of pictures pict one is the old harness. BIG time toasted!!

The last pict that should be the wire to the coil. No this one has two wires to it. the old one had one. Any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
31,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after looking things over, and sitting in Pooh's "thoughtfull spot" for a wille[sorry, I have a 3year old:D] I think I figured it out. In the last picture with the two wires going to the coil. The other wire goes to the switch on the PTO lever that lights the light on the dash to tell you it is on. I figured they powerd it from there, so it is only on when the ing is turned on. Seems the could have spliced it somewere else, but what the heck.

In pic 3, that odd ball connector, I figured out. One wire is a gray one that goes to the "ing" term of the ing switch. The other wire, a black one, goes to the front of the tractor, to hook to the coil. When new, it muct have had a jumper conected there, to hook the two together.

Now pict one, I have another post about it. I am guessing it is eather a shunt of some sort, or a solid state senser for the gen light it hooks up to.

So I think I am set. I have a few jumper harness to make, and a few other things, but I am making headway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts