My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
the local ford fan
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi , its the time of the year that you start thinking about winterizing your vehicle if its going to be sitting for the winter or the off season , will the ethanol in todays gasoline gum up the fuel system if you don't winterizie it ?, if it is inportante , then whats the best way of going about winterizeing the fuel system on fuel injection vehicles , is it a bad idea to use a fuel stabilizer like STA-BIL on fuel injected vehicles ? , also does fuel stabilizer need to be run though the fuel system to work correctly or just pour the correct amount in the tank and shake the vehicle side to side to mix it into the fuel ? , thanks for any advise :thanku:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Ethanol is bad. I have a snow blower that for years, I would have to pull the carburetor and clean it before the Winter season, or it wouldn't start. Even after putting Seafoam in the tank. For the past two years, I have only put ethanol-free gas in my small equipment, and that snowblower starts up great. So, I do believe that ethanol sitting in the tank and fuel system does cause problems. If it were my vehicle, I would add the correct amount of Seafoam, or other fuel stabilizer, to the tank, and run the vehicle for a day or two- make sure that the fuel stabilizer has run thorugh the system. Just adding it to the tank won't keep the fuel in the lines, filter, and injectors from getting nasty. Also, even if you are Winterizing it- why not fire it up and let it run until it comes up to full temperature, say once a month? The vehicle will be better for it.

·
the local ford fan
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advise , the reason for wanting to winterize the vehicle is that it always has to be jump started , as of the battery is junk and its sitting in a area that i can't get to easy in the winter , so i figured if i could just winterize it and leave it for the winter then it would be easyer then fooling around trying to get it started in the cold weather , is there a specific brand/type of fuel stabilizer for autos ? or just any fuel stabilizer , thanks for the reply

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
You will need to read the bottle- they will have the ratio of stabilizer to gallons in the tank. If it were mine, I'd use Seafoam.

·
the local ford fan
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

·
Banned
283 Posts
I HATE STA-BIL!!!

All it does is gum up the carb, I know some folks have no trouble with the stuff but I'll never use it again since I had to rebuild the carb just to get it to run again. I just run whatever i'm going to store out of gas so it won't have any fuel in it to gum up the carb or go bad in the tank.

·
the local ford fan
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks monster mudder , thats what i have been doing to all my lawn equiment in past years , drain the tank/carb and filter/lines and it works very good , if i could figure out a way to do the same to a vehicle then it would be great , but have yet to find a way to do so , anyone by chance know how long it takes for fresh gas to turn bad/into gum from sitting ?

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
I've got a snowblower sitting behind the barn door that has 2 year old (or is it 3) sitting in the tank. Its got Seafoam in it, I think. I've got a shut off valve in line,too, so I can let the carb run out dry. Push the primer a couple of times after I turn the valve on, one or 2 pulls, it's running.
My antique truck is started every other month and runs to get it hot. I go thru the gears, the truck has a midhsip water pump and the tranny can be switched from road to pump connection. That fuel is I don't know how old, but is constantly changing. No more than 5 gals in there, 50 gal. max.
My antique car had 14 year old gas and still ran. Rougher than......until it ranout.
My pickup had 6 month old fuel. Engine wouldn't run right. Opened the carb, found dried fuel (like dried up clay) in all the passages. Cleaned that, new fuel, motor run every other week for 15 - 20 minutes.
Biggest problem I have is keeping the batteries up to snuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts