My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I am tired of lousy windshield wipers on the vehicles. As winter comes on I thought I would seek advice from all you who know stuff. Is the nature of the beast just lousy all together or are there some truly tough wipers on the market? Thanks kindly in advance to anyone who might reply!

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,677 Posts
Hey folks,

I am tired of lousy windshield wipers on the vehicles. As winter comes on I thought I would seek advice from all you who know stuff. Is the nature of the beast just lousy all together or are there some truly tough wipers on the market? Thanks kindly in advance to anyone who might reply!
I like the Rain X wipers. Not really a fan of winter wipers, as the rubber coating on the outside seems to hold more salt than anything else.

·
TECH Exchange Contributor!
582 Posts
in general I do think a lot of the wipers are pretty poor. Another thing is that you really do have to replace them every 6 month or so as it the rubber otherwise dries out.
The first thing to do in my experience is to switch over to the beam style blades. These work much better in the winter as there is no mechanism to freeze up.
I have tried the RainX and the Bosch brand blades. Both were decent but did not last any longer than the cheaper beam blades. So now I am using the Peak Optix beam blades.
Dependent on sale or not they go for $ 7 - 10 each.

This is just my experience and I hope others will chime in as well

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I like the beam blades for year round use as well but even they will get ice buildup on them that will cause trouble. My other problem is finding a brand that will handle the extreme curvature of some of today's modern windshields. I've tried some that only touched my truck windshield in the middle six or seven inches. I'm currently running the last generation of Michelin branded ones and I'm pretty happy so far.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I've had really good luck with the blades sold at Costco, Michelin sumpin or other. They last, don't streak and are the one piece design so there's noting to break like the multiple arm ones.....Mike

·
Banned
271 Posts
My experience is read the package... If they are Silicone Rubber they last a lot longer, don't harden as fast, which causes skipping and noise, and hold up better to the cold winter temps.

The cheap big store wipers are usually a cheap grade of rubber. I found some Goodyear brand wipers in a store once, they were nice and soft and pliable, did awesome during the summer, got hard and skippy in the winter.

Its a toss up!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I am skeptical that there is a real big difference between the expensive ones and the cheap ones. I have tried most of them, and still wind up changing them every 6 months or so. So, I usually put a new set on in the fall, and change them out at the beginning of summer.
It's a maintenance item, to me.

·
-
1,829 Posts
Rule of thumb I've always heard is to change them every 6 months. Seems reasonable as they sit out and get a beating from the sun and cold, etc.

The Rain-X ones seem decent, just put a set on. I also use the washer fluid with Rain-X in it, helps with lubing the window and visibility.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts