My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks,
i am considering doing a valve job on fred ('47 8n) this winter; and possibly more. is there a recommended video that covers that and engine overhaul?
the shop manual says i can replace just the piston rings; i have also been told that is not a good thing to do'; that i need to do the pistons and sleeves also.
i have also been told that probably the rapping and low oil at temperature is possibly the main bearing. the manual doesn't really get into that. is there a better book/ video for this stuff.
the quotes i'm getting is making look at doing it myself. do i need a lot of special tools?( is there a tool kit? for this?) is it correct that i can do all three with only removing the hood and gas tank( the front tires/axle and radiator can stay attached). i have just enough space for fred.
thanks, david

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
I personally do not know of a video but that doe not mean a thing. There are times that you can get away with just replacing the rings, it has to do with how much wear is in the cylinders/sleeves as well as condition of the sleeves. The old steel thin wall could be used again since they did not wear like the cast iron. Usually just hone the devil out of them and go again with new rings and pistons. Of course the pistons could also be reused depending on condition as well. In some cases you could get by with using an oversize ( .10 ) ring on the standard piston and carry on.

Considering the availability of new sleeves, plus the fact you can get everything in a kit, there is really no reason to not replace the sleeves if you have it torn down.

Oil pressure is related to the bearing clearance on the mains and the rods, in modern engines cam bearings also come into play. Not a problem on the N since it does not have cam bearing. Usually the biggest culpret for low oil pressure is the oil pump. The oil pump is not of the best design in my opinion, it is part of the front main bearing cap. It is easy for them to develop wear on the end plate and bushing giving excess clearance. One should NEVER tear down an engine without rebuilding the oil pump, although I have seem it done many times and the fresh engine still have low pressure.

The rapping could be bearing but most likely you will find it is piston slap. A bearing usually is a knocking sound at least to my ears.

If the crankshaft is not worn, scratched or out of round to the point it would need to be reground, then yes you could R&R the engine by only removing the hood and gas tank. Including replacing the sleeves. There are no special tools to speak of except for may be a valve spring compressor (you can rent them) so you could reseat the valves, again condition of the valves and seats might make it necessary to take it ( the blocK) to a machine shop.

Rebuilding an engine is not hard, I find it to be very relaxing. Just remember to keep the area CLEAN, take your time to mark/label everything as you remove it. These Ford engines are as simple as they come so if you decide to tackle it, have fun with it and ask questions if something stumps you.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
There's a video you can buy it on ebay on engine building for the N tractor. They use comon everyday tools. This will walk you thru it and give you the basic idea, Cost is around $22 last time I looked.

Kirk

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts