My Tractor Forum banner

81 - 100 of 330 Posts

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Looking great!! To my eye from the pictures it almost looks like that front axle beam could use some sort of a gusset, or struts to stiffen up that U.
I was just thinking the same thing, like a piece of tubing ran across from side to side between the 2 mounting bolts. Would help to keep it from spreading apart when there is weight on the front.
The original two wheel garden tractor was built somewhere between 1923 and 1925.
I figure that this was most likely converted into a riding tractor in the late 20's or early 30's because of the square head bolts and nuts that were used and, within reason, I'm trying keep the engineering the same as it was built.

By looking at how the angle iron grips on the rear wheels are bent, I have to assume that this tractor has gotten some hard use back in the 30's and 40's and maybe even into the 50's.
Even so, the front axle wasn't bent out of shape very far.
It took some heavy pressure on the press to bend that axle bar back into shape so with this only being used for displaying at tractor shows, I'm not worried about it getting bent out of shape again.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
It got up into the 50's today so I was able to spend some time out in the garage working on the tractor.

The driveshaft is made up and slipped in into the flywheel and I bolted the clutch and pressure plate on.
I made a bushing out of wood for the center hole in the throw out bearing.
Then I put the throw out bearing in place with the wood bushing keeping it centered on the drive shaft.

The other end of the drive shaft is connected to the coupling on the transmission.
I also have a pillow block bearing mounted on this end of the drive shaft.

I made up a bracket out of angle iron to go under the pillow block bearing.

Here's how it looks with the bracket welded to the frame and the pillow block bearing bolted to it.

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
Very nice work. I wish I had the shop space and the equipment to do work like that.

Reactions: jdcrawler

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Very nice work. I wish I had the shop space and the equipment to do work like that.
I have just read this entire thread and each entry got better and better! jdcrawler...you are obviously a highly skilled and dedicated builder and fabricator. I am learning many new techniques and ways to do stuff. By chronicallying this build, you are providing a huge amount of training for the "skill challenged" of us on MTF. Thanks...and I anxiously await the next entry! sschesser, Lowell, MI.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
The drive shaft is finished and assembled on the tractor.
Earlier I had stated that I thought that whoever had converted this two wheel walk behind tractor to a four wheel riding tractor, may have done it back in the late 20's or early 30's because of the extensive use of square head bolts and nuts that were used to put it together.

To maintaing the original look of the tractor, I am also using square head bolts and nuts to mount the transmission, pillow block bearing and the mounting bracket for the throw out bearing.

This is the bracket that I made up for mounting the throw out bearing.

The mounting bracket for the pillow block bearing was welded to the frame.
This mounting bracket for the throw out bearing is bolted to the frame instead of being welded because it will be a lot easier to work on the clutch or remove the flywheel if I can get this bracket out of the way.

As you can see, the hole in the throw out bearing is a lot bigger then the diameter of the drive shaft.
This is why I had made up a wood bushing to keep the throw out bearing centered on the drive shaft while I made the mounting bracket for it.

The wood bushing was removed from the throw out bearing before it was fastened in place.
This is the wood bushing.

Reactions: 9297oldram

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
What is the clutch setup originally made for, I maybe making a project and could use a setup like that?
Flywheel and clutch assembly are off a Farmall Cob tractor

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
Are you planning to leave the flywheel, clutch and drive shaft exposed? I think that it looks great, just concerned about safety, especially if you are running it at shows... young fingers are curious.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Are you planning to leave the flywheel, clutch and drive shaft exposed? I think that it looks great, just concerned about safety, especially if you are running it at shows... young fingers are curious.
Of coarse not .. the flywheel will definitely have a shield over it.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
jdcrawler…..just curious....were you a machinist before retiring? You're obviously well trained on all things "machine shop".
I worked in the machining industry but I was not a machinist, I was in quality control for 32 years before I retired in 2000.
However .. working in the factory's and machine shops gave me access to the machines and I was allowed to use them after work and on weekends.
What knowledge I have about machining, I developed from putting a piece of metal in a machine and figuring out what I could or could not do on it by the mistakes that I made.

Over the years, the knowledge I gained from using the machines to work on my projects helped me tremendously in my job as quality control.
It allowed me to be able to work closer with the machinist in finding a solution to problems they were having in manufacturing their parts.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I worked in the machining industry but I was not a machinist, I was in quality control for 32 years before I retired in 2000.
However .. working in the factory's and machine shops gave me access to the machines and I was allowed to use them after work and on weekends.
What knowledge I have about machining, I developed from putting a piece of metal in a machine and figuring out what I could or could not do on it by the mistakes that I made.

Over the years, the knowledge I gained from using the machines to work on my projects helped me tremendously in my job as quality control.
It allowed me to be able to work closer with the machinist in finding a solution to problems they were having in manufacturing their parts.
Thank you for replying. Your expertise is an example to everyone of what a person can do by taking the extra step to gain knowledge "by doing". No doubt you were a more valuable asset to the company. Excellent!

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
The temperature got up into the 50's today so I spent some time working out in the garage.

I'm going to use the common ' U ' shape seat spring from an older garden tractor and I want to mount the spring right on top of the transmission.
I don't want to rely on holes just threaded into the 1/4 inch thickness of the 95 year old cast iron of this transmission so I need to put a piece of flat steel on the inside that I can thread the spring mounting bolts into.

I'm going to use a piece of 3/8 thick flat steel plate for the extra support and I need to fasten it to the inside of the transmission cover.
First I marked and drilled a small hole for where the front spring bolt will go and from that, I can figure out where to drill the countersunk holes for the flathead screws.

The holes are drilled deep enough so the tops of the screws are a little below the surface of the transmission cover.

Then I drilled and threaded the holes in the piece of flat steel.

The steel plate is now fastened to the inside of the transmission cover with two countersunk screws.

The holes for mounting the spring are drilled into the transmission cover and the threads are tapped thru the cast iron and the 3/8 inch steel plate.

The spring is bolted onto the top of the transmission and the seat is mounted in place.
With the steel plate fastened to the inside of the transmission, I can remove the seat spring and re-attach it without having to take the transmission cover off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Excellent work and craftsmanship on this rebuild. Definitely a great thread to read and follow.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Bending up a battery box out of 1/8 inch sheet steel.

This is the finished box.

It is primed and mounted in between the frame rails.

The top of the battery [post set about 1/2 inch below the top of the frame rails.

The battery box hangs down under the frame.

The battery will be covered by this removable section of foot plate.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
I drilled holes into a section of angle iron and then clamped it to the underside of the foot plate.

The angle iron is welded in place to strengthen the outer edge.

Mounting holes were drilled thru the foot plate and corresponding holes were drilled and tapped into the frame.
Then the foot plate was cut into three sections.

Additional angle iron and bracing rods are welded to the two outside sections.

The two outer sections are then welded to the frame rails.

And the bracing rods are welded in place.

The center section is fastened in place with six machine screws to complete the foot plate and leave easy access to the battery underneath it.

Reactions: galaxie500

·
Registered
65 Posts
Beautiful work. It's been a pleasure to see how far you've come already. Keep it up!

·
Hoosier Daddy
897 Posts
Love to see something desirable built from cast-offs, keep the posts coming!

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Still waiting on the cover for that shaft. It looking to be a leg grabber.
You're welcome to come out and build that guard for me if you're that impatient.

Reactions: MiniHomesteader
81 - 100 of 330 Posts