My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having some cold weather in Nov. the weather turned pretty mild since then. That may be starting to change. We are finally seeing some predictions of colder temps and possibly some lowland snow this weekend and into next week. The different weather stations can't agree on how cold it will get, but accuweather has the lowest temps possibly hitting 0* F. I doubt we will see that low as several other predictions are for mid to low teen's. No matter what it will be a shock to the system since we just had one day that it was 59* F last week.

Screenshot_2020-01-08 Blaine, WA Daily Weather AccuWeather.png

·
Administrator
11,727 Posts
Aside from one cold snap we have not had much of a winter here so far. Could be mid 60'sF by the weekend. But that also means a change is coming sooner or later and your getting cold there is another signal it is only a matter of time for us here too.

I used to complain when we didn't get cold and snow. But the older I get and the more uncomfortable to being outright painful it is to me, I've decided to no longer complain about it. My comfort zone has narrowed considerably over the years to it's now about 15° F either side of 65°F @ 35-45% humidity. 😄

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yesterday afternoon we got a flood warning for Fri and Sat, it's supposed to start raining later today and all day Fri and Sat. Wished it would be colder and it would be snow instead. I'll bet Ohio will be getting the same thing from the way the storms tracking.

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,611 Posts
Not sure where you live Cjet, but I live on the side of a mountain in the Columbia Gorge. Was 58° four days ago, nice evening. Last few nights rain has chased me in. Last night - wow - bone-chilling rain and humidity. This morning it was 34° just before sunrise, came up to mid-40s, then this afternoon we're back down to the low 30s again.

NOAA says snow level is 1500 feet, that's the level I live at. Somewhere around I've a picture showing how we live right on the snow line. It shows a definite sharp line going right across the front meadow and bisecting the house.

Down at the bottom of the ravine, the normally small river tributary of the Columbia is now high and tawny with silt; and it's had a scary transformation. Now it's LOUD, FAST, and DANGEROUS. I can hear it roaring all the way up here, about 800 feet up and a mile or so away from it.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure where you live Cjet, but I live on the side of a mountain in the Columbia Gorge. Was 58° four days ago, nice evening. Last few nights rain has chased me in. Last night - wow - bone-chilling rain and humidity. This morning it was 34° just before sunrise, came up to mid-40s, then this afternoon we're back down to the low 30s again.

NOAA says snow level is 1500 feet, that's the level I live at. Somewhere around I've a picture showing how we live right on the snow line. It shows a definite sharp line going right across the front meadow and bisecting the house.

Down at the bottom of the ravine, the normally small river tributary of the Columbia is now high and tawny with silt; and it's had a scary transformation. Now it's LOUD, FAST, and DANGEROUS. I can hear it roaring all the way up here, about 800 feet up and a mile or so away from it.
I'm up North of Bellingham in Whatcom county not to far from Canada. We have a seasonal stream on our property thats flowing at a high level. The cold weather we get usually come's out of Canada through the Frazier river canyon. When they get high pressure in the B.C. interior and low pressure to the south of us it can really blow hard and be extremely cold much like the gorge down your way. Here is the latest Accuweather predition for the next week which include a couple nights of negative temps. 🥶

Screenshot_2020-01-09 WA Daily Weather AccuWeather.png

·
Administrator
11,727 Posts
You can feel free to send that back up to the Canadians rather then ESE towards me. lol We do that -6 to +6 on occasion here too. I would need to dig through my weather stations records but think it has been several years now since we last endured cold to that extreme.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have a high wind warning now.

...HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 1 PM PST FRIDAY... * WHAT...South wind 30 to 45 mph with gusts to 60 mph. * WHERE...San Juan County, Western Whatcom County, Western Skagit County and Admiralty Inlet Area. * WHEN...From 1 AM to 1 PM PST Friday.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had about a 1/2 inch of snow fall overnight. Its suppose to turn to rain later this morning. The best chance for much snow accumulation will be Sunday with 3-6" possible.

100_2493 (Medium).JPG

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Accuweather is revising upward some of there low temp predictions for Monday/Tuesday. I feel better with the low temps being on the + side now. Still 6 and 8* temps will be cold enough. I will be surprised if we get the 6-10" of snow on Sunday, but time will tell.

Screenshot_2020-01-10  WA Daily Weather AccuWeather.png

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,611 Posts
I left work up in Hood River early on Friday - there was an inch on the roads and cars. Snowing hard on my way to Cascade Locks, then turned to a mix of rain and snow, was really coming down. From Cascade Locks West to my place it was all rain. We did have a nice break from the rain last night, but it was close to freezing.

This morning it's been all rain, raining off and on really hard. Forecast is for snow tonight. NOAA's station KTTD is closest to me, the pinpoint for them says rain/breezy today (yup, roughly 15 knots as I look out the window now, gusting higher) and snow tonight. Might not stick through the day tomorrow, but snow for tomorrow night clear through Friday.

An interesting guy to read is Cliff Mass, I haven't seen him mentioned here yet. He's out of Seattle at the University of Washington. I'll drop in a link:

Cliff Mass Weather Blog

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I left work up in Hood River early on Friday - there was an inch on the roads and cars. Snowing hard on my way to Cascade Locks, then turned to a mix of rain and snow, was really coming down. From Cascade Locks West to my place it was all rain. We did have a nice break from the rain last night, but it was close to freezing.

This morning it's been all rain, raining off and on really hard. Forecast is for snow tonight. NOAA's station KTTD is closest to me, the pinpoint for them says rain/breezy today (yup, roughly 15 knots as I look out the window now, gusting higher) and snow tonight. Might not stick through the day tomorrow, but snow for tomorrow night clear through Friday.

An interesting guy to read is Cliff Mass, I haven't seen him mentioned here yet. He's out of Seattle at the University of Washington. I'll drop in a link:

Cliff Mass Weather Blog
Thanks for the link. It looks like a good one.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In the last hour the winds have switched. It was blowing from the south and 43.5* F and now its coming from the north and 38* F. If snow does fall its going to be pretty soggy to start with.

Screenshot_2020-01-12  WA Daily Weather AccuWeather.png

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Woke up this morning to a little snow and 19* F temp and wind. All of the snow fell late yesterday and was done falling by 11:00 pm. It looks like less than 1/2" fell. We still might get a few snow flurries over the next few days, but then its suppose to warm back up. I took a few pics last night and this morning.

100_2500 (Medium).JPG 100_2501 (Medium).JPG 100_2503 (Medium).JPG 100_2504 (Medium).JPG

·
Super Moderator
26,381 Posts
Weather this winter has been a Roller Coaster here too! 60's this last weekend and supposed to be in the 20's this weekend with several days of snow (never know how much to expect). Right now we have 43 degrees F.

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,611 Posts
The clouds lifted for just a bare moment yesterday (not enough time to get a photo) and the Ridge to the North of me is all white, down to just above my level. Went to bed last night with the cars white and some white showing in the front and back meadows (they're not "lawns" - this is old high pasture, and I went 'natural' decades ago after fighting Nature for years; now the grasses are healthy and I don't have to worry about putting poisons on them and having that stuff get into my well). Got up today to find it all melted and things just wet.

Mid-morning as I post this, outside it's a mix of rain and snow. Temp is right at the freezing mark.

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,611 Posts
Clouds lifted for a minute today; been snowing light and heavy most all day. We tend to get powder snow, the wind blows it all over, making it look like we've hardly got any snow. NOAA is saying no break from the snow until Friday afternoon.

Was finally able to grab a quick photo.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The sky looked like your pic up this way for half of the day then switched to all clouds with light snow for about 3 hours. The snow was so fine and light that it didn't really add up to anything. The temp went up to 21*F and is now back down to 19*F. Accuweather is still saying possible snow overnight and into tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The temp has dropped to 18*F this evening. It snowed very lightly for a couple hours this afternoon with pretty much no accumulation. It started snowing lightly again at about 7:00 pm. We'll see what happens overnight.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Finally got some snow last night. Just shy of 6". It also got really cold at 13.8*F. The current temp is 14.1*F.

100_2508 (Medium).JPG 100_2509 (Medium).JPG 100_2510 (Medium).JPG 100_2511 (Medium).JPG 100_2512 (Medium).JPG

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Heh "really cold"... It warmed up to -30C here. We were supposed to go down to -42C, but only got to -38C overnight.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts