My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Once again a Super Member
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of y'all have been waiting on this test.
The Rustbeeter site is down so I will give you the story:

How does Rustbeeter's™ chemical process work?
Sugar beets need iron-rich soil to grow, as they have an affinity for iron. In a concentrated form after being refined, they continue to actively seek out iron oxides. Each molecule of Rustbeeter™ combines with a molecule of iron oxide and the by product of this chemical reaction is water. The net result is no leftover residue.
How is Rustbeeter™ packaged?
Rustbeeter™ is sold as a dry product that is mixed with tapwater. A 5-gallon pail requires about 18 pounds of dry Rustbeeter™ granules. A 5-quart box requires about 4 pounds.
How do I mix Rustbeeter™?
Rustbeeter™ is a food byproduct. Simply mix it with tapwater to produce a loose, pudding-like slurry.
What will happen if I mix Rustbeeter™ with too much or too little water?
If you add too much water, let some of it evaporate out. If the solution appears too thick, add tapwater until it makes a pudding-like slurry. Having too much water in the solution will not hurt the metal part you are treating.
Can I make Rustbeeter™ into a paste and apply it on a part to remove rust?
No. Rustbeeter™ is designed for a soaking process, and thus, the entire part must be submerged in the product. Oxygen in the air affects the de-rusting process.
What kind of container should I put Rustbeeter™ in?
A plastic pail is a good choice, and a plastic container with an automotive type spray-on rubber undercoating will help deter mold growth. The best container for Rustbeeter™ is a rubber livestock pail available at feed stores in 4-gallon to 15-gallon sizes. Note that livestock containers do not have tops. They should be fitted with a cover. If an odd-shaped part will...
What is the largest part I can treat?
Rustbeeter™ is designed for a soaking process, so you must be able to submerge the part for it to work. If you have a part that is too big or long for a traditional pail, then build a container that will better accommodate the part. Making a wooden box and lining it with plastic works well; so do 15-gallon rubber livestock feed pails available at farm supply stores. ...
Does grease or oil on the part affect how Rustbeeter™ works?
Because Rustbeeter™ is a water-based food byproduct and because water and oil do not mix, metal must be degreased before being soaked in Rustbeeter™. Even heavily rusted parts might need degreasing, as the rust will form above the greasy and oily surface.
Will Rustbeeter™ remove paint?
Rustbeeter™ will not remove paint that is properly adhered. However, most paint has rust beneath it and Rustbeeter™ will remove the rust and float the paint.
Will Rustbeeter™ loosen rusted parts?
Rustbeeter™ is not a penetrating fluid. If you have parts that are rusted on, de-rust the entire part and then use a penetrating fluid to loosen the rusted area. Once that piece is removed, degrease and soak all parts in Rustbeeter™.
Is Rustbeeter™ a rust converter?No. Rustbeeter™ is a true rust remover, not a rust converter. It will clean the metal part, not seal or convert the rust. Rustbeeter™ leaves a chemically clean surface that will immediately re-rust without a surface treatment. The exceptions are chrome, galvanized and black oxide parts, which do not need a surface treatment.
Will the metal start to rust again after being cleaned by Rustbeeter™?
Yes. Rustbeeter™ completely cleans the surface of the part but does not apply any protective coating. When de-rusted, the metal will be chemically clean and ready for priming/painting, oiling or waxing. If rust starts forming before the surface treatment is applied, simply re-soak the part in Rustbeeter™.
What will happen if I use Rustbeeter™ on aluminum?
It will destroy aluminum. As a sugar beet byproduct, Rustbeeter™ is slightly acidic. This keeps the product fresh. There is enough acid in Rustbeeter™ to eat aluminum, but not enough to etch steel. Some. Rustbeeter™ will remove gun bluing and Dicromate. It might also negatively affect Damascus steel gun barrels. However, it does not affect chrome, galvani...
Can brass or copper be treated with Rustbeeter™?
Rustbeeter™ will not harm copper or brass. While it will not remove tarnish, neither will Rustbeeter™ damage the surface of the brass or copper.
Will Rustbeeter™ harm soldering, cork, plastic, or Fiberglass?
Yes. It is recommended that you remove metal from wooden parts. Because wood is porous, Rustbeeter will soak in to the pores. The wood might darken and take on a molasses-like odor.
Will Rustbeeter™ clean chrome?
Yes, Rustbeeter™ removes rust from chrome and makes it as shiny as it was when originally plated. Of course, any pitting cracks or flaking from the rusting process will remain. Rustbeeter™ removes rust from cast-iron surfaces, recesses and pitted areas. Due to the high carbon content of cast iron, a slight buildup of free carbon will remain on the surface, givi...
How long will Rustbeeter™ take to de-rust metal, especially heavily scaled parts?
The heavier the rust, the longer the soaking time. An average piece of metal with average rust will be cleaned within three to seven days. Heavily scaled rust will take longer, perhaps several weeks. Knock off loose scale with a hammer and then keep soaking the part in Rustbeeter™ as long as it takes to remove all the rust. There are two types of rust. Red rust is co...
Can I leave the part in Rustbeeter™ too long?
No. Rustbeeter™ does not affect the base metal, regardless of the length of soaking time. Once the rust is removed, the part can sit in the solution indefinitely without harm to the surface.

Attachments

·
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My speciman is a 1920's vintage Appleton Fog Light.

The Rustbeeter cost up front is high, but its is suppose to have a long life.

Attachments

·
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I am doing this in real time, I just place the fog light in tonight (Wed) and we should get some results by Friday.

Attachments

·
Citizen of Earth
15,744 Posts
Cool stuff! I can't wait to see how it works.

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
Not too surprising that I will be very interested in the results, too. Go, Wing!

Of course with some of my projects, if all the rust was gone, so would the project be!

Doug

·
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are some results; but I have a disclaimer: I used 2/3 more water than instructions stated.

The metal housing on this fog light was by far worst case. A lot of rust has been removed to point where nothing was left on the rim (looks like JB weld time).

I placed the fog light housing back in but I also added the pliers to see how well they clean up

Results say that it is working; let see tomorrow results :thThumbsU

Attachments

·
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From the results so far I decided to purchase more Rustbeeter to how well it works using it's proper ratio.

I also added different rust specimens to see how well Rustbeeter performs.

Attachments

·
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pliers 24 hours later; what do y'all think soak them longer?

Attachments

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
Great results, Wing! I'm sold. Nice clean-up on the pliers.

·
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is another 24 hour before and after shot.

About 90% of the rust is gone the is flaking off; I don't need to remove all the rust on this I am sand it and repaint it. The big nasty rust is gone. :fing32:

Attachments

·
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are some tools after a 3 day soak

The socket was lost outside for over 10 years and still rust, but not very much it is going for a 7 day with the funky wrench.

I like what I see! What do y'all think?

Attachments

·
Citizen of Earth
15,744 Posts
I'm impressed! Where did you get this stuff?

·
Administrator
11,892 Posts
The results look better than what I achieved with my little bucket of water, washing soda, battery charger experiment I tried last year. I needed better electrodes than I used for one thing. One time I soaked some brass end irons in Saniflush to brighten them up. That worked pretty well. I don't know if Saniflush would do anything for rust or not.

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
That stuff works great, Wing. And I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who sometimes happens to leave wrenches and things out for ten years!

Doug

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
Wingnut:

I'm impressed... thanks for the fine before and after demo. That must be one of a restorer's best friends. Thanks. :fing32:

·
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay enough soaking of tools that I have negected over the years; I decided it was time to soak a truck part in Rustbeeter.

The part is the Amp/Oil Gauge Bezel from the 1928 Chevrolet LP; this is before and after pictures, remember this was 24 hour soak in a dilluted solution of Rustbeeter.

Now I am asking "Can I afford a swimming pool full of Rustbeeter to the dip both trucks in?"

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts