My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to upgrade my computers to Windows 7. I purchased 2 copies at the prerelease price of $49.00 a copy. I have read good things about this and I figured it wouldn't get any cheaper.
Anyone else going to upgrade?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I don't know how you could possibly buy legit copies of Windoz for 50 bucks

For me, I haven't fired up Micro....... in months. I use Ubuntu Linux. It's free

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I ran the Beta and now the RC of Win7 64 on one PC; I like it but likely will not upgrade the other 2 Vista PCs when the retail version comes out.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
Will W7 work on Vista ready machines? I have a nice HP with a 3.06 Ghz P4 and a gig of ram. Will W7 work on this?

I'm willing to give it a shot. And yes, I'm a linux user. I want to see what all the fuss is about. Ubuntu better beef it up because W7 sounds like a winner.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will W7 work on Vista ready machines? I have a nice HP with a 3.06 Ghz P4 and a gig of ram. Will W7 work on this?

I'm willing to give it a shot. And yes, I'm a linux user. I want to see what all the fuss is about. Ubuntu better beef it up because W7 sounds like a winner.
Yes it wll.

·
Registered
821 Posts
That's a great deal! Glad I read this post! With only one day left, I'm calling Best Buy as soon as they open to see if they have any in stock before I drive 35 miles to the store.

Will the upgrade work on more than one machine, or do you have to buy separate copies?

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a great deal! Glad I read this post! With only one day left, I'm calling Best Buy as soon as they open to see if they have any in stock before I drive 35 miles to the store.

Will the upgrade work on more than one machine, or do you have to buy separate copies?
You have to buy a separate copy for each machine. You must have XP or Vista installed on the machine.

·
Banned
628 Posts
wonder if the upgrade works if you have a non-legit windows OS installed ... hmmmmmmm
i guess it should, also i would not get the home edition

·
Registered
821 Posts
3 of my machines have Vista but one older lap top has Ubuntu and even if I could, I wouldn't change that one anyway.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
3 of my machines have Vista but one older lap top has Ubuntu and even if I could, I wouldn't change that one anyway.
That works out good for you. You are limited to 3 copies.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts

This is a "pre-release" sale. You won't (can't) get it until after October 22nd. I snapped at the chance & ordered me a copy. My Vista sucks raw eggs and I will be happy to upgrade it. My credit card won't be charged until the DVD is shipped. In my opinion, anyone running Vista should get it for free. Vista has given me plenty of problems, but hoping after I get the upgrade that it'll just be an un-pleasant memory.

Thanks Jeepersmitty!:thThumbsU

·
Registered
821 Posts
My vista machines give me no problems. I have a hard time wondering why so many folks have problems. My machines have large hard drives, one with 600 gig, two lap tops with over 200 gig. Each machine has the most memory I can cram into them and all have duel processors running 32 bits. All my software has the most recent upgrades. Bottom line, I have no issues! I tried W-7 beta and didn't see any advantage to it. Actually, the beta version I had was full of bugs, but they were probably taken care of by now. I live by the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"! I ran 98 in my machines until I was forced out in the cold by the Gates bunch. When Vista's dead, I'll look further. PJ

·
Registered
652 Posts
My vista machines give me no problems.......... the most memory I can cram into them..... duel processors running 32 bits. PJ

I think you've answered your own question. Windows 2000 worked "OK" and was a nice little trim system compared to..........Xtra Putrid, and the memory/ resource hog race was on.

I haven't fired up a Micros%%%%% machine in months and months . I run Ubuntu Linux. No freezups, no virus protection, no trojans, it just works. You don't HAVE to pay ANYTHING for it, if you don't want to

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,666 Posts
Windows 7 is literally a re-packaged Vista. Did they actually learn this time?? Time will tell.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Windows 7 is literally a re-packaged Vista. Did they actually learn this time?? Time will tell.
No it’s more than just that.
Some of us have been using the pre-release versions for several months now and it is a huge improvement over Vista & XP. Even though Vista was fine and not half as bad as people made it out to be.

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,666 Posts
No it’s more than just that.
Some of us have been using the pre-release versions for several months now and it is a huge improvement over Vista & XP. Even though Vista was fine and not half as bad as people made it out to be.

Here is my take, if you learnt on XP you liked it, but if you tried Vista it sucked, and the same for learning on Vista and trying to use XO. Is 7 the best of both?? I see it supports different languages now, so is it easy to switch back and forth??

·
Registered
682 Posts
I remember when everybody picked on XP because they didnt want to have to relearn a new thing. I havent had any problems with XP or with the 3 that have Vista. Though the 3 that have Vista came with it and are made to work with it. Now I had one that had ME. People have forgetten what a poor setup that was. I switched that computer to XP. Best thing I ever did.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I remember when everybody picked on XP because they didnt want to have to relearn a new thing. I havent had any problems with XP or with the 3 that have Vista. Though the 3 that have Vista came with it and are made to work with it. Now I had one that had ME. People have forgetten what a poor setup that was. I switched that computer to XP. Best thing I ever did.
Well first of all you are comparing apples and oranges. If you want to compare the compliants/ merits of a system, compare it to what it REALLY "is" which should be Windows 2000

Windows 2K was a pretty good system ONCE Micros$$$ got the usual "public is the lab rat" bugs out. By the time all the service packs / updates came out, it was a pretty nice system.

The BIG complaint of Xtra Putrid against W2K is just THAT. It is BIG. I don't recall offhand, but it's HUGE in comparison.

The OTHER thing I wish MS (and others) would do is stop under--specifying hardware. This leads us to "try" a new system on our old hardware, only to find it is vastly underpowered.

By the way, I haven't fired up a MS product in over a year, other to work on someone elses. I use Linux Ubuntu here, and have used Linux Mint. I've a friend on the coast, him, his wife and daughter have used nothing but Suse for more than 10 years I believe. Only thing he uses windoz for is a tax program and the fuel injection in one of his cars.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts