My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi about a week ago the computer got a MS update all was fine until the laptop was shut down at night next morning on start up it took forever to start when it finally did the was a blue color etc notice say Failed to connect to Win Service / system event notification service, this affected the taskbar / toolbars they had a pale I googled that numerous repairs came up nothing I tried worked (some could not be followed) so finally out of desperation I did a restore tothe day before the update system came on and all was fine that night went and shut down there was 3 updates next morning all was fine next shut down start up same notice failed to connect to win service did another restore and all is fine But now there are 3 so called important up dates and I'm Leary of installing them have been trying to get rid of them but they persist anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi poncho62, thanks I have done that but every time I check they have them ready for upload I deselect them check ok but there back but don't automatically install so that's good

·
5,104 Posts
After reading these comments...I now realize what happened to my computer earlier this year...I would up having to get a new computer...I don't even believe that they are updates...I agree with Poncho's statement that they just want you to upgrade
Personally ...I liked XP that I had in my first computer from 16 years ago....these "new" versions are a step backwards I think

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
I've had 3 instances where Win 7 updated and then deleted my profile so I had to do a restore from the boot menu as I couldn't log in. After the last time I created several profiles, all with admin privileges. I've had to do one more restore since then as it did it to me again after an update. Restored it from one of my other saved profiles that I could log in on.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree that MS is trying to force everyone to win 10 and I have one laptop with it and dislike it totally I really like win 7 I liked XP but win7 is better but that was MS last decent OS rest are junk

·
5,104 Posts
I save a lot of photos and XP had a better way of downloading and sorting them...at least i thought so
I now have 2 computers with 10...and I have an apple Ipad...which is a nightmare to figure out...it seems that MS is trying to mimic apple now, but I will say that 10 seems faster

·
Super Moderator
29,917 Posts
We run Win 10 on about half the county systems, or about 250 machines (by the end of the year it will be about 90% as we upgrade Windows 7 machines) and have few issues. Biggest thing is to teach folks to use Cortana to search for what they need instead of trying to remember where things are (even I can't remember where they are in Win 10) it is very effective. It does take some learning of the new interface but it's not as bad as Windows 8 or 8.1. Learn to put most frequently used programs on the taskbar and you seldom need to go into the listing of programs.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
MS killed our 2 xp units, forced us to get different ones, and went to 10, hate it but they won't allow anything else on the internet! 10 is so slow it's pathetic but thats the backward step that MS chose and they will kill any computer they find on the internet NOT using 10. thanks; sonny

·
Super Moderator
29,917 Posts
Sonny, not sure what you're referencing, Window 8.1 is still good until 2023 so that is always an option. But between 8.1 and 10 I'd take 10 anytime. We actually found systems worked as well or almost as well on 10 as Windows 7 once you add the additional memory that it recommends. So maybe you need to plus up the memory a little on your machines to enjoy Win 10.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
I'm bummed I'm gonna have to upgrade to Win 10 by 2020. Didn't even realize that it was going defunct until this thread. Twas a good run.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
MS killed our 2 xp units, forced us to get different ones, and went to 10, hate it but they won't allow anything else on the internet! 10 is so slow it's pathetic but thats the backward step that MS chose and they will kill any computer they find on the internet NOT using 10. thanks; sonny
Could you please explain what you mean by this?
Before Vista came out, I was using XP and while it was OK, there were many things I didn't like. Switched over to Ubuntu Linux in 2009 and never looked back. Yes, there was a time when Microsoft was the dominant software and they did try to control websites on the Internet, but that failed. I can use the Ubuntu Linux on the internet with zero problems. Sure, it is not Windows, but it does just about everything I want to do as a home user and almost all the software is free.
Let the hate posts begin!:tango_face_smile:

·
5,104 Posts
We run Win 10 on about half the county systems, or about 250 machines (by the end of the year it will be about 90% as we upgrade Windows 7 machines) and have few issues. Biggest thing is to teach folks to use Cortana to search for what they need instead of trying to remember where things are (even I can't remember where they are in Win 10) it is very effective. It does take some learning of the new interface but it's not as bad as Windows 8 or 8.1. Learn to put most frequently used programs on the taskbar and you seldom need to go into the listing of programs.
I know I have Cortana...but what the heck is it and is it easy to use?

·
Super Moderator
29,917 Posts
Mark,

Cortana is what they call a "personal assistant" or "Avatar". If you were a gamer then you'd know it from the HALO series of Microsoft games. It is designed to help the user navigate the system. There are two modes active and passive as I describe them. The active one allows you to use a microphone to give it commands. The passive allows you to type in things you are looking for, this is the mode that I prefer. It will find things on the local computer and also from the Internet that match your query.

I'd recommend that you look up some info on the Internet. Here is a link to start you out:

·
Super Moderator
15,260 Posts
I'm certainly no computer wiz. Some of what you guys are talking about is Greek to me. Odd coincidence that I went and purchased a new desk top tonight, It is Windows 10 and you guys are scaring me. Lol. My Dell has been on life support for awhile now and I basically quit using it about a month ago unless I had to. It originally came with XP and I had it upgraded to Windows 7 a few years ago. I have to take my old tower in tomorrow and have them transfer everything over to the new one. I already didn't like what I was hearing about how I would have to access my old files on the new PC.

I may be screaming for help soon.

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,240 Posts
I just got a new lappy that has Win 10 on it.. I can't hear good to listin to Cortana.. do have hearin aids.. I have her under the rug.. what I hate is the Mccaffe add that comes up sometimes.. I will not pay them a dime.. there is no X to close it.. so I have to do a restart..

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,018 Posts
"Personally ...I liked XP that I had in my first computer from 16 years ago....these "new" versions are a step backwards I think"

I agree. Actually Windows 95 did everything I wanted except it did not have System Restore which has save me many times.

"but thats the backward step that MS chose and they will kill any computer they find on the internet NOT using 10. thanks; sonny"

Don't know what you are talking about. I run XP, XP Pro and Windows 7 with no problem. Many computers are thrown away which are still very serviceable. I am running one computer declared "dead" 4 years ago by 2 different Computer Repair Shops and one declared done for 7 months ago by one of these shops. A used Video Card from eBay cured this one for $10. Of course they had new ones for sale.

I have had no problems with Windows 7 Updates.

I tried Linux once, couldn't navigate it and no instructions, just stumble around blindly. There are many versions of it.

Walt Conner

·
15,000 +posts!
20,157 Posts
I was forced to use a "new" HP computer I got at least 3-4 years ago,that has Windows 8.1 installed ,that I let sit in the box,until my old hand me down XP pro old "E-Machines" was ruined by my stupidity .

I attempted to remove the cooling fan to clean the dust bunnies off the heat sink,and the heat transfer compound was like glue,when I went to pull up on the fan,the processor came out stuck to it,and the "lock lever" was still in the clamped position (I didn't know about it--never took one out before)..

When I attempted to put the processor back in,many of the hundreds of pins on it bent,some snapped off when I tried to straighten them..so much for that computer,unless I happen to stumble across a used processor,and no other damage was done to the socket for it or the motherboard..:(

Everyone more knowledgeable about computers than I has told me "eh,just trash that old XP p-o-s--its a magnet for hackers and malware,and obsolete.."

I liked the XP pro computer a lot..only thing I ever did to it was add another 1 GB of memory,which improved it greatly..I had a LOT of pictures,bookmarks,etc,on its hard drive too,which I would probably have to pay someone to "recover"--but not knowing the computers "history",I'd fear there may be some malware or virus hidden in its hard drive files,I do not want to load that in my "new" computer..

Now I find out my digital camera and scanner are "incompatible" with the newer computer,so I cant take pictures and post them online,or scan in snapshots..

The scanner is an older HP model,but despite being the same brand,it says online it is not compatible with the newer HP computer,neither is the camera,I think it has something to do with the "new" computer having a 64 bit system,and those older things were designed for a 32 bit one..but I'm not enough of a geek to understand what the heck that means,or if they could be "adapted" to be used with some app or something..

I guess they just want us to throw everything away every few years when its "obsolete" and buy everything new again,just like when they change music formats from vinyl to tape,then CD's...:/

I have an older Dell with XP pro,I may try to swap the hard drive from the dead XP pro E-machine and see if it'll work,at least then I could still use the scanner and camera..

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,018 Posts
No "Compatibility" mode in Windows 8.1? Might do a search for it. Even though we have stock in MS which has done great, I wish there was some OS a person could consider permanent with occasional updates if necessary. They even hide things between XP and Windows 7. Had a heck of a time finding Remove Programs. Not sure I can even find it again.

Walt Conner

·
5,104 Posts
I'm certainly no computer wiz. Some of what you guys are talking about is Greek to me. Odd coincidence that I went and purchased a new desk top tonight, It is Windows 10 and you guys are scaring me. Lol. My Dell has been on life support for awhile now and I basically quit using it about a month ago unless I had to. It originally came with XP and I had it upgraded to Windows 7 a few years ago. I have to take my old tower in tomorrow and have them transfer everything over to the new one. I already didn't like what I was hearing about how I would have to access my old files on the new PC.

I may be screaming for help soon.
Although I preferred XP, I easily got used to 10...it is actually a lot faster, I find ....the biggest thing I liked about XP was "pictures"
I liked the way you could choose which pictures to down load from a memory device and the way of organizing them and the ability that gave me to find them later on XP.....Although I resisted 10 at first, once I got used to it ( and I am adverse to change) it became as easy as XP was

1 - 20 of 58 Posts