My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeing that even though the Free Update Period from Windows 8 to Windows 10 has expired, it is still possible to download a legal upgrade using the Windows 8 license. Anyone know if this is so and how if it is?
Thanks,
Walt Conner

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Here's an article from ZDNet:

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Found this as well. YouTube How-to

·
Administrator
21,146 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Let us know how it all works out, would you?
Sounds interesting.
Hopefully I will be able to lol. Currently 58% of Win 10 is downloaded. I was looking at spending$250 to upgrade both of my Win 7 PCs. Looks like it'll cost $0.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Here we go. Wish me luck.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm trying this right now. I have Win 7 home. Currently downloading Win 10 after d/l'ing the media creation tool from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
How'd you do that? I went there before posting my question. After downloading the tool it said a later version had to be downloaded to proceed. After clicking on that nothing happened. Screen just went blank and stayed that way. I am wanting to make a bootable USB Flash Drive to use on another computer.
Walt Conner

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
How'd you do that? I went there before posting my question. After downloading the tool it said a later version had to be downloaded to proceed. After clicking on that nothing happened. Screen just went blank and stayed that way. I am wanting to make a bootable USB Flash Drive to use on another computer.
Walt Conner
In that video it said Win 7 service pack 1 or later was required. Do you have that? Mine is installing/updating right now. Posting from my phone.
20191214_145233.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
I'm not sure what happened to you Walt. I did mine exactly like the video I posted. I didn't try to make a bootable copy. Sorry I can't give more help.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
OK. I'm back on and it's working. Had a couple of scary moments (black screen when adjusting screen resolution) there but everything did its thing and I'm running well.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In that video it said Win 7 service pack 1 or later was required. Do you have that? Mine is installing/updating right now. Posting from my phone. View attachment 2441491
Yes, got Windows 7 plus Service Pack 1. Guess I'll wait until I get the lap top next Saturday which has both 7 and 8 onit.
Walt Conner
I'm not sure what happened to you Walt. I did mine exactly like the video I posted. I didn't try to make a bootable copy. Sorry I can't give more help.
Sure you can help, I am an old man and that video is hard for me to see and understand. When I get the other lap top I may be asking for advice and I'll bet there are others here also and we will be interested in you experience with it. I didn't even get to the making a bootable copy point.
Thanks,
Walt Conner

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Yes, got Windows 7 plus Service Pack 1. Guess I'll wait until I get the lap top next Saturday which has both 7 and 8 onit.
Walt Conner

Sure you can help, I am an old man and that video is hard for me to see and understand. When I get the other lap top I may be asking for advice and I'll bet there are others here also and we will be interested in you experience with it. I didn't even get to the making a bootable copy point.
Thanks,
Walt Conner
Walt, I'm on my wife's PC updating it now. I used that same link and got the same pop-up that gave the option of a bootable copy or "upgrade this computer now" I hit upgrade and it's downloading it now.

Hey, do you have a downward pointed arrow at the top right of your browser window? That's where the "tool" downloads to and you have to open that to get the tool.

1576363724343.png

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Wifes PC is up and running on Win10. I was stressing over doing this and it was easy. Cost me nothing. I will have to learn Win10. So far only struggling with my pics. When I open them it doesn't give me a preview with a single click of the mouse and doesnt have an arrow to go to the next pic. Hoping I can figure it out.

·
5,095 Posts
I have been using 10 for a few years now...at first I was in a state of confusion....but it is quite easy to use...nothing really to learn...just a question of getting used to it...the only thing I don't like about the progress of the Windows operating systems is the "my pictures" feature...I save a lot of pictures and take part in a photography forum ..the orignal pictures on XP was the easiest to use...if I can use Windows 10....anyone can

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
I have been using 10 for a few years now...at first I was in a state of confusion....but it is quite easy to use...nothing really to learn...just a question of getting used to it...the only thing I don't like about the progress of the Windows operating systems is the "my pictures" feature...I save a lot of pictures and take part in a photography forum ..the orignal pictures on XP was the easiest to use...if I can use Windows 10....anyone can
Mark is there a place to put pics so I can get a preview of them? All I see is a pic icon and have to open the file to view the pic as I don't have them named.

·
5,095 Posts
That is what I do not like...when you open pictures they open up as a calendar...you can name the files ( right click, select rename....easy)...but they open up according to the date that you entered them on your computer...is that what you are asking about?
If you are referring to when you actually go to load them from a camera or an SD card or thumb drive it depends what you choose in your preferences to open them to be read at that point...on XP it would always ask if you wanted to preview them...default with 10 I believe is TWINUI and it seems finicky...I have it on 2 fairly new PCs and it acts the same on both of them...I think you know more about this stuff than I do....I can't believe that I am trying to explain it to you ?

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
That is what I do not like...when you open pictures they open up as a calendar...you can name the files ( right click, select rename....easy)...but they open up according to the date that you entered them on your computer...is that what you are asking about?
If you are referring to when you actually go to load them from a camera or an SD card or thumb drive it depends what you choose in your preferences to open them to be read at that point...on XP it would always ask if you wanted to preview them...default with 10 I believe is TWINUI and it seems finicky...I have it on 2 fairly new PCs and it acts the same on both of them...I think you know more about this stuff than I do....I can't believe that I am trying to explain it to you ?
Ha! I found it. Arrange by "tiles" and "preview pane"

·
5,095 Posts
So ...you did not lose any of the pictures in the update?
To post pictures I usually have to resize them....so I use Irfranview for editing ( it is free...limited in its ability but is pretty good)...then I created a "resized" folder ...which is just an edited and shruknen copy of something still in"Pictures" ....with Infranview, you can also crop,correct color, sharpen, change to sepia or B&W.... insert text, create panoramas and do a few tricks...no putting other peoples heads on dogs or horses or anything like that

·
Been There Done That
38 Posts
Be careful with this folks. Do a complete backup with bootable media of your machine. I have upgraded several hundred machines and at least 25% of the time the upgrade failed due to incompatibility issues even thought they passed the hardware test.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts