My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone growing mint or lettuce in a pot or plastic box?
I've got an idea of having mint for lemonade and lettuce for salad all year round. It seems perfect to have them right on my kitchen window sill.

Hope to get some advice, because I'm a newbie in gardening

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've got an idea of having mint for lemonade and lettuce for salad all year round. It seems perfect to have them right on my kitchen window sill.

Hope to get some advice, because I'm a newbie in gardening[/QUOTE

I've grown lettuce in the winter in like 8 inch by 24 inch plastic containers. They were around 6 inches deep. Used regular planting mix. Always in a south facing window. It was leaf lettuce. It probably got 8-10 inches tall. Taste fine but wasn't much for three of us. It was a little lancky. It didn't grow back much it was short lived. Ate it up pretty fast. It's kind of like growing plants in late winter to put out in spring. Just take care of it like you are growing plants to put out. Grew in a big window sill. Big widow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hope to get some advice, because I'm a newbie in gardening[/QUOTE

I've grown lettuce in the winter in like 8 inch by 24 inch plastic containers. They were around 6 inches deep. Used regular planting mix. Always in a south facing window. It was leaf lettuce. It probably got 8-10 inches tall. Taste fine but wasn't much for three of us. It was a little lancky. It didn't grow back much it was short lived. Ate it up pretty fast. It's kind of like growing plants in late winter to put out in spring. Just take care of it like you are growing plants to put out. Grew in a big window sill. Big widow.
It's interesting, thanks!

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
Nothing is working! it too much sun harmful? I watered well, but the grew yellow and died :(
Too much water can be harmful...

I didn't scroll up... What did you try to plant?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I think you will find that without the special "grow" lights, things won't do too well. --We have to use them here as the winter sun is at the wrong angle to make plants grow. In the past I used them year round with good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you will find that without the special "grow" lights, things won't do too well. --We have to use them here as the winter sun is at the wrong angle to make plants grow. In the past I used them year round with good luck.
Any advice what lights to buy? Is there any difference or I can order any from Amazon?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts