My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a person was handy at fabricating,, low on money or cheap, how well do you think an electric winch would work lifting and lowering a 3 point hitch? Of course there would be no down pressure. If the person was strong and "really" low on money they could use a manual winch like what is used on the front of a boat trailer.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
If a person was handy at fabricating,, low on money or cheap, how well do you think an electric winch would work lifting and lowering a 3 point hitch? Of course there would be no down pressure. If the person was strong and "really" low on money they could use a manual winch like what is used on the front of a boat trailer.
A lot of 3 points don't have down pressure anyways, at least the manual one don't, and if you have a hydraulic 3 point, no need for the winch. But to answer your question, it would work fine!:fing32:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If you have a hydraulic deck lift a three point is not hard to fab to your tractor and use your deck hydraulics to work your three point.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mine works great with a Harbor Freight $50 winch, I dont think you could buy a manual one for much less. It does wear down the battery when using in combination with flood lights though.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I built an electric lift mechanism, for my home made 3 point lift, from a handicapped scooter lifter that I inherited from my deceased mother-in-law. Works well, photo below. Only mod I plan to make is shortening the motor support arm so that it is directly over the lower lift point. Originally I wanted to keep the long motor support arm so that I could use it as a lift crane but decided that the lift crane function is not needed since I have other lift capable tractors. You should be able to easily rig an electric winch to perform the 3 point lifting function.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saved the front lift arms from when I parted out my 1st Toro 117 Groundsmaster. They have a perfect dogleg bend in them for 3 point arms.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love the winch on my tractor. I have configured it for power up, and if you switch the pullies around it has power down. When I designed the system I never though I'd be using it as a logging machine, but after a tornado ripped though my area there's plenty of free firewood for the taking. That being said my tractor quickly was transformed into a logging skidder with the addition of an extended top link and a log grapple. Man the winch was handy to drag logs to the skidding trail.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts