My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My SIL Mike and I took our trucks together for about 4 hours yesterday afternoon. Had a rough plan. One must on the list was visiting the old Grumman Aerospace facility in Calverton, NY. It's pretty close to my place. I'm sure many are familiar with Grumman. Built a lot of planes for the Navy, etc. from WWII, the Wildcat, Hellcat to name a couple, the LEM lunar module during the space race, and the F-14 Tomcat. These are just some of the more notable things, but their full array was huge, including aluminum vans, and canoes. They were the biggest employer on Long Island for many a year. And a job there was the Golden Ticket for decades.

There are something like 4 to 5 thousand acres at the old facility, with many of the old buildings still there. The Navy deeded the property over to the locals a ways back and many buildings are now being used for business. The beautiful thing is now you can drive through and see things that were verboten in the past.

Original Grumman building with the old flight tower on right end.

Cloud Sky Plant Road surface Asphalt

Here we are on the famed runway. If this strip of concrete could talk. Every plane/jet ever built at the plant rolled over it. And some incredible folks were at the wheel. My gratitude for their service.

Sky Tire Vehicle registration plate Automotive parking light Land vehicle

We drank in the feeling of history for a bit and then exited out the old North Gate.

·
Super Moderator
43,897 Posts
My SIL Mike and I took our trucks together for about 4 hours yesterday afternoon. Had a rough plan. One must on the list was visiting the old Grumman Aerospace facility in Calverton, NY. It's pretty close to my place. I'm sure many are familiar with Grumman. Built a lot of planes for the Navy, etc. from WWII, the Wildcat, Hellcat to name a couple, the LEM lunar module during the space race, and the F-14 Tomcat. These are just some of the more notable things, but their full array was huge, including aluminum vans, and canoes. They were the biggest employer on Long Island for many a year. And a job there was the Golden Ticket for decades.

There are something like 4 to 5 thousand acres at the old facility, with many of the old buildings still there. The Navy deeded the property over to the locals a ways back and many buildings are now being used for business. The beautiful thing is now you can drive through and see things that were verboten in the past.

Original Grumman building with the old flight tower on right end.

gr1.JPEG

Here we are on the famed runway. If this strip of concrete could talk. Every plane/jet ever built at the plant rolled over it. And some incredible folks were at the wheel. My gratitude for their service.

gr2.JPEG

We drank in the feeling of history for a bit and then exited out the old North Gate.
Ellis, the pictures are not showing.

·
Super Moderator
16,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
About a 1/2 mile down the public road is a small park dedicated to the Grumman company.

Cloud Sky Aircraft Airplane Vehicle

Plant Water Font Road surface Wall

Sky Cloud Plant Aircraft Building

Plant Font Line Commemorative plaque Groundcover

Brown Font Rectangle Commemorative plaque Grass

A really cool feature at the park is the bricked walk way. It is made up of folks that worked at Grumman. Their years there, what they did. It doesn't have a memorial type vibe, but rather it speaks volumes about how the people, the workers, are what made Grumman great.

Plant Road surface Tree Flooring Grass

Road surface Font Brick Wall Headstone

We chatted with some other visitors, and then headed east.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,171 Posts
Grumman also had a huge facility with an airstrip in Bethpage on Long Island and in Stuart Florida...No matter where you lived on Long Island from the 50s until the early 90s ( when they were bought out by Northrop) you would find that many of your neighbors worked for Grumman...and they were all great jobs...not just good, but great ...being a LIer, I can really appreciate how cool a visit that was. For many years a reconnaissance plane flew out of Bethpage and up and down the coast every day
Water Sky Aircraft Airplane Aerospace manufacturer

( no pictures for me either)

·
Super Moderator
32,786 Posts
Up here in upstate I knew them mostly for the stepvan bodys. Almost every bread van, or any alloy stepvan I remember as a kid was a Grumman. The canoes were around also, but I always thought that was a side business for them. I didn't know about the planes till I was older.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,820 Posts
Awesome trip! I love Grumman! (I can see the photos!)

There was a period of time (1950s-1970s-ish) where the entire flight deck of every aircraft carrier in the US Navy was 100% Grumman aircraft. In the ‘70s this included the A-6 Intruder, E-2 Hawkeye, F-14 Tomcat, EA-6B Prowler, etc. They cranked out some impressive aircraft!

·
Super Moderator
17,529 Posts
Thanks-Ellis-love the pictures and the story. Good for you and Mike spending some time together.;)
glenn

Reactions: tiretrx

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
16,526 Posts
When we first got married my wife worked for Hughes Aircraft, which was on the grounds of the Calverton facility. I also remember the Bethpage facility and airstrip, which is now a Home Depot. Thans for the memories, Ellis, and Mark.

·
Super Moderator
16,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After we left the park, as said, we headed east. Down the line, we saw a sign, Mike's blinker went on, then mine.

Wheel Car Cloud Sky Tire

And now a little something for the hard working staff here at MTF...............a gratuitous HOT CHICKS photo!

Ingredient Cuisine Food Seafood Dish

They were about 3 days old and under a heat lamp.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
16,526 Posts
So, how many did you buy? :)

·
Super Moderator
16,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, how many did you buy? :)
Not a one, Al. Our 4 hens are still producing well. I'm a fan of Golden Comets from Hoover Hatchery when I do get them. Still get a kick out of watching the little buggers, though.

·
Super Moderator
17,529 Posts
After we left the park, as said, we headed east. Down the line, we saw a sign, Mike's blinker went on, then mine.

View attachment 2560603

And now a little something for the hard working staff here at MTF...............a gratuitous HOT CHICKS photo!

View attachment 2560602

They were about 3 days old and under a heat lamp.
///////////////////////////////////
This guy thinks he's funny w/ the title picture........ o_O o_O

glenn

·
Super Moderator
16,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
///////////////////////////////////
This guy thinks he's funny w/ the title picture........ o_O o_O

glenn
Ya know Glenn, he has all this extra time on his hands now, we're getting the benefit of his new stand up comedy act!🎤🤪
Sorry, didn't mean to get you guys all excited 😂

·
Super Moderator
15,961 Posts
Nice adventure Ellis. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: tiretrx

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
It was good to see the Grumman hanger, runway and the A6 and F14, Ellis. You're right, if that runway could talk! It's nice to know that there is still some of the old Grumman left. My uncle worked for Grumman. I have his Grumman jacket.
When I was young, good friends of my parents lived along the road that runs along the north Grumman fence. They used to have a huge barbeque once a year. Sometimes Grumman would test run a jet engine for about 5 minutes while everybody was there. The noise was deafening. I always thought it was cool.
I think I told you my A6 story.

Your Jeeps both look great in the pics too. That was a good idea taking them both out on a little trip. I'll bet that they both got lots of attention wherever they went. I've been in TSC a few times now. It's a nice place.
And those chicks are HOT! :)

Mark, the plane in your pic is an E2C Hawkeye. My former neighbor flew one in the Navy. It would be neat if one were added to the display at the museum.

·
Super Moderator
17,529 Posts
It was good to see the Grumman hanger, runway and the A6 and F14, Ellis. You're right, if that runway could talk! It's nice to know that there is still some of the old Grumman left. My uncle worked for Grumman. I have his Grumman jacket.
When I was young, good friends of my parents lived along the road that runs along the north Grumman fence. They used to have a huge barbeque once a year. Sometimes Grumman would test run a jet engine for about 5 minutes while everybody was there. The noise was deafening. I always thought it was cool.
I think I told you my A6 story.

Your Jeeps both look great in the pics too. That was a good idea taking them both out on a little trip. I'll bet that they both got lots of attention wherever they went. I've been in TSC a few times now. It's a nice place.
And those chicks are HOT!

Mark, the plane in your pic is an E2C Hawkeye. My former neighbor flew one in the Navy.

//////////////////////////////////

What Dave said--there was a squadron of them based in Keflavik, Iceland when I was stationed there in 1971-73. Used to hunt/shadow Russian Nvy traffic exiting the North seas area..
glenn

Reactions: Bebop
1 - 20 of 23 Posts