My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I bought this 46" snowthrower for my 2011 X749. Will it work? it came off of a 2006 X720 and came with the quick-hitch and rear to front pto. I attached some photo's that will hopefully help determine if this will work. I see when I go to the JD site all the snowblowers are 2-stage and either 47" or 54" I was going to back out of the deal but the blower was in great shape he only used it for one season and it looks like new, the paint is barley chipped in the shoot. I know the guy I purchased it for and can take it back if it will not work. Also what is a fair price for it (snowthrower, PTO and quick hitch) Are the single stage snowthrowers a thing of the past? because from what I see John deere don't seem to even offer them anymore? Any info on this snowthrower and its compatibility with my X749 would be greatly appreciated. IMG_0274.jpg

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
That blower will work fine with your tractor. I'm not sure if there are any minor differences between brackets etc, but if there are, everything is available. The 46 snowthrower works just fine. The trick with a single-stage is to keep the chute full. With a hydro this is easy; you just need to modulate the ground speed to keep up with the conditions. Most of the time, the faster ground speed the better. A single-stage will also pump water due to its solid rotor. As for value, the quick-hitch is worth ~ $500 and the upstop adds a bit more. I just sold a 46 that was about 17 years old and showing some wear for $600. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That blower will work fine with your tractor. I'm not sure if there are any minor differences between brackets etc, but if there are, everything is available. The 46 snowthrower works just fine. The trick with a single-stage is to keep the chute full. With a hydro this is easy; you just need to modulate the ground speed to keep up with the conditions. Most of the time, the faster ground speed the better. A single-stage will also pump water due to its solid rotor. As for value, the quick-hitch is worth ~ $500 and the upstop adds a bit more. I just sold a 46 that was about 17 years old and showing some wear for $600. :)
What is a upstop?

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Thats a nice looking blower and have fun with it. slkpk

·
Registered
498 Posts
The Thrower and hitch will work fine, but you will need to be a different PTO shaft the one you got is for a 2wd and you need one for a 4wd.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
gator,

Do you already have the mid-to-front-pto kit installed for your X749? I think you will need it. OhDeerefan showed some nice pictures of it here.

My gut feeling on this is you'd be better off gettign the 47" 2-stage. But, if you are getting a great deal on this, there's nothing wrong with giving it a shot and if you like it -- great. If not, down the road you could watch for a 47" and sell the 46." It's not like it's a legally binding marriage. :D

I will say that it looks to be in outstanding condition!

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
What is a upstop?
Its what Deere calls the pto shaft bearing. You have one driveshaft from the transaxle which connects to the upstop. From there a second driveshaft goes to the blower. :)

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
That blower should work great. Congrats it looks like new!

·
Deere Guru
508 Posts
My 46" SS works extremely well. It's almost the same exact one you have, mine is slightly older and has a M1481 serial.

That blower/thrower will work very well with your x749. You just need the correct quick/hitch, front mount PTO setup, drive shaft, and upstop. They changed the hydraulic hookups from mine to your model . . . I believe your blower model number is the correct one for the X series tractors. The hydraulic hookups on the tractor are on a different location on the 4x5 and X series.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Its what Deere calls the pto shaft bearing. You have one driveshaft from the transaxle which connects to the upstop. From there a second driveshaft goes to the blower. :)
I don't think you are talking about the right parts.

My two stage snow blower manual (different but for the upstop probably almost the same) shows the following:

Then there is this pic from my blower.

Dirty I know but I think it with the 1st image's manual info shows the upstop is the yellow painted piece of metal mounted to the snow blower.:trink39:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I didn't get a great deal on the blower. I paid $2,000 for everything including the quick-hitch. The blower is pretty much brand new Im not sure what it all cost new? Im thinking I may take it back if im going to have to buy more equipment to make it work. Can anyone verify that I will have to buy a different pto the one that came with it was off a two wheel drive x720 and mine is four wheel drive.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
You will need the 4wd pto shaft and I think the list on it is $241.00.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts