My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Montgomery Wards Signature 2000 Elite (MTD with 18HP Briggs & Stratton). I am getting ready to purchase a snow blower attachment Craftsman 842.24072. Will this mount up to my lawn tractor? I am suppose to pick it up tomorrow afternoon. I would hate to blow $100 for something that wont work. I can do some light fab work (cnc cut a plate or bracket). I need to know if I can get the belt to match up.

Thanks,
Chris

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcome Chris.

Why don't you back your tractor into your truck bed, or onto the trailer and take it along so you will know for sure?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good idea but my lawn tractor is about 230 miles away.:fing20:

This is my first lawn tractor. Only had it for about a month now. What are some of the problems that I could run into trying to match it up? I know that MTD made the Montgomery Wards tractor. I have a feeling that this snow thrower might be a generation older than my 94.

I am pretty sure I can figure out a way to attach it. I am more concerned about getting the belt on and knowing what size to use. I have never hooked anything up to it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 1994 Montgomery Wards Signature 2000 Elite (MTD with 18HP Briggs & Stratton). I am getting ready to purchase a snow blower attachment Craftsman 842.24072. Will this mount up to my lawn tractor? I am suppose to pick it up tomorrow afternoon. I would hate to blow $100 for something that wont work. I can do some light fab work (cnc cut a plate or bracket). I need to know if I can get the belt to match up.

Thanks,
Chris
Hey Po-Dunk,

I had a similar experience last year. I bought a snowblower that was designed for a tractor with a belt drive (off a pulley not a drive shaft) and my MTD 999 is a shaft drive. I don't have any welding experience so I decided I would try to adapt the bracket from my mower deck to fit the snowblower with mixed results. You can see in the first picture that the belt pulley sticks out below the frame rails. (not good) Also, the angle of the pulley didn't "quite" line up with the belt, so it came off a lot. Also, note the severe angle of the driveshaft.

The second picture shows where I had to add brackets to lower the mounting points of the rear frame points. (It hit the axles)
Also note in the first picture that I had to rotate the lift point brakets and drill one new hole so that the lift tabs lined up with the lift rods.

I did get through most of the snow season with this setup. Eventually, I hit something solid with the pulley sticking out the bottom and it bent the plate I made to mount the unit to the snowblower. (third picture) The last picture shows the bracket I had made at a fab shop. Note that it mounts so that the pulley is ABOVE the frame rails and the belt AND driveshaft will line up better.(Although I will have to shorten the drive shaft)

I went to mount it and found that I really should have delivered the tractor with the blower when I took it to the fab shop. It fits perfectly, and they did exactly what I asked, but I didn't take the steering linkage into account when I figured my clearances. It's back on the truck now (Both tractor and blower) waiting for the fab shop to schedule a revisit.

I think you can make anything work (eventually) if you are willing to experiment. Some of the guys on this site have a lot more experience "fitting" stuff and can give good advice. Good luck, and keep us posted. (with PICTURES please.)

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
Even if does not fit it as is all you have to do is male it fit. I have hooked my snow blower to 3 different tractor. it was a simple job of some angle iron and pulleys

to lift the blower I used a 12 v hoist

·
Registered
176 Posts
Might be to late for this ,but why not Compare the Manuals from the Blower, that is supposed to fit your Tractor ,to the manual of the Blower you are wanting to Buy? a drawing comparison sort of?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts