My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer still hasn't been able to get the mowing deck & other attachments. They've been trying to find a way to help me out since their distributor isn't delivering. My sales rep was talking to the service manager at one of their locations and he mentioned that a customer had traded a non-vented 54" deck in for a smaller deck because he wanted to do bagging. It has been sitting in the yard for a few years.

The sales rep called me and gave it to me to use until my attachments come in from the distributor. I went and picked it up today. It sounds like they don't even want it back, I can just have it.

Here are some pics:

The problem is that what you see in the pic is all they had. There is no driveshaft and no attachment brackets. They thought maybe the stuff that came with my tiller would work, but the driveshaft doesn't fit it and I can't see any way to use the brackets.

What parts would I need to make this mower work? Obviously I need a driveshaft and some brackets, but how can I find out exactly what I need and how much the parts would cost? I can't even find a model number on it. If the parts aren't outrageous I'd like to order them from a dealer that works directly with the factory (hint hint NassauEquipment), I've had enough of this distributor nonsense.

I'll have to get an assurrance from the my dealer that it this deck is mine to keep at no cost before I order parts, but I don't think that will be a problem.

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
Well if they're giving that to you for your troubles that's one heck of a deal...Definetly worth the cost of the parts to get it operable. :fing02:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think good size mower decks are at least 500 bucks and you got a good one there. What are you hooking it up to? Must be a 3000 series or bigger if it's shaft driven. Worth the parts for sure to get it going. It looks in great shape.

·
Deceased Oct.-2014
3,014 Posts
Talk about lucking out :congrats:

From the pics all I see missing is the shaft. I don't know what you are talking about for the other things.

What's under the black cover on the one side? Don't have anything like this on mine.

If you have heavy or wet grass to contend with, I can gaurantee you'll love this mower. It will cut in places without difficulty that can choke the smaller decks and kill the engine. BTDT. This deck weighs-in at close to 300# that is a very large % of what a lot of entry level LT's weigh.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, this mower is for my 3225. The black cover covers a pulley that I assume is used as a PTO for an externally mounted accessory. I have no idea what the accessory would be, but think maybe a powerflow type bagger since it is on the discharge side.

Maybe I'm not seeing thigs correctly, but I can't see any way to mount this thing on the machine without some additional brackets. The two pins on the rear of the unit will hook right up to the deck lift arms under the machine, but I don't see anything to hook up the front of the deck to. The front of the deck just has a 'hook' that is on the bracket that the frontmost roller attaches to.

Mickey, any chance you could snap a photo of how the front of your deck attaches to your machine?

Right now, the whole thing is frozen up. I'm not sure what is holding it, but I can't rotate any of the blades, probably rusted. I'm going to loosen the belt tonight and see if I can free up the blades. Do the deck spindles have bearings in them, or are they some kind of bushing?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Definitely a 290 deck. I'll send you the info on parts to hook up. Not a good sign about blade spindles being frozen. Tear on down and you'll se a large Timken roller bearing top and bottom. If not too badly rusted or corroded you might can clean up and reuse........probably best to replace them and the seals. Also bearings in each idler..........is that belt rotted? Can't tell.
btw list on a 290 was $1229.00

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I talked to my dealer this afternoon and the deck is definetly mine for my trouble. Sweetens the deal a bit and adds a measure of additional patience for the rest of the attachments that are on order for more than a month longer than was originally quoted. The dealer is really trying but there isn't much they can do since MTD mandates distribution on them.

I can't understand why Cub goes through distribution on this side of the country. The dealers get terrible support and service through these organizations. It is no wonder Cubs aren't very popular in California. I wonder if Lowes has to order through a distributor or if they are able to purchase directly from the factory? I can't imagine the average consumer will buy Cubs for long if they have to wait 6-8+ weeks for a simple attachment or basic parts.

I'll get the extra parts to mount it up and make it work. I'm sure I can get bearings and seals at the local bearing house, probably can get the belt locally too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sbman
I was able to order My Gt1554 From Lowes my understaning it came Directly from MTD because Lowes did not stock this Item, It made it in 9 days..I don't know if Lowes deals in parts for CUB Cadet/MTD It be worth a try to talk with somebody at Lowes that knows something!Also I think If you have part #'s you can order direct. By Calling 1 800 800 9448 this for Mtd .

Good Luck !
Mr Hoss

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I disassembled the deck last night. After I got the belt loosened up, I managed to get things turning, but there was more friction than I'd like and the blades had some wobble to them.

Found that the seals were shot and the bearings had water damage, some more than others. They are a common automotive wheel bearing and I was able to get new bearings at Kragen just down the street. They also stock seals that fit it as well. I removed the belt for replacement and the blades for sharpening. The blades look like they are in good shape with no major dings, but very dull.

I still need to open up the gearbox and see what condition it is in and put fresh lubrication in it. It looks like it remained sealed and no water got in. The water in the bearings seemed to have happened because the deck has depressions where the blades mount. There are drain holes but they were clogged so water was pooling around the bearings for the years that it sat outside in the weather. The worst bearing had a big cake of dead grass and dirt packed around it so moisture had a place to accumulate and take longer to dry out. It was stored down in the desert though so a lot less damage than it would have been in a wetter climate.

I was pleasantly surprised that the bearings on this deck are such a common part. Seems like a really good design and makes the parts easy to get. They aren't too hard to replace either, just tap them out of the housing with a punch and put the new ones in with a bearing driver.

·
Deceased Oct.-2014
3,014 Posts
Sbman, yesterday I did forget to metion the front mount if that is what you call it. There is a rod that is bent somewhat in a U shape and is bolted to a cross bar. The rod hooks into the slots at the front of the deck and the cross bar snaps into the frame at the front of the tractor.

Sorry but I don't know how to post pic to this site. Up until 2 weeks ago I was on a slow phone line connection and would never give any thought to posting pics as it would take too long.

You'll have a heck of a mower when you get it up and running.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Seems like you got one heck of a deal. Even if you have to put a couple hundred into the deck to mount it up, you will still have saved $1,000.00. Seems like a pretty decent "consideration" to me.

Keep us posted on how this transpires...

Some people gots tons of horseshoes.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got all the new bearings installed on the deck, and the blades are at the sharpening shop. I'm disappointed to learn that the driveshaft is a quite a bit more expensive than I was hoping, so I'm not sure if I'll be running this deck or not.

NeilNassauEquipment, do you know if the shaft & front hanger from a 295 deck would fit this 290 deck? What about the belt size?

·
Deceased Oct.-2014
3,014 Posts
requested pics

sbman,

Got round to taking a couple pics while the deck was off and found out how to post. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Deceased Oct.-2014
3,014 Posts
Well that didn't work too well. You can click on the pic and enlarge. Will have to find out more about posting pics.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mickey,

Thx for the pics. That bracket & rod are what I am missing. Those parts aren't too expensive, but the driveshaft is pretty steep. I am still pondering what to do. It's hard to justify purchasing an expensive part when you have already payed for one and should have already received, since the deck I have on order will include a driveshaft.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Sbman,

The dealer didnt say why the driveshaft was not there? I would ask him to locate it - its like giving someone a car without an engine :) I'm sure you can fetch $500 or more on ebay for that deck, and wait for the one you paid for...I agree the driveshaft is way too expensive...seems like it is the most expensive part on the deck....

Ducati

·
Deceased Oct.-2014
3,014 Posts
What kind of money are we talking about here for the shaft? Last week when I was looking around, wasting time, I noted a replacement deck housing was about $450.

By the way sbman, how are you posting your pics that show up so large? I've not seen any instructions other than what I used that showed the thumbnails. Also was limited to file size of lass than 100k.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Mickey said:
What kind of money are we talking about here for the shaft? Last week when I was looking around, wasting time, I noted a replacement deck housing was about $450.

By the way sbman, how are you posting your pics that show up so large? I've not seen any instructions other than what I used that showed the thumbnails. Also was limited to file size of lass than 100k.
Its listed for $365 dollars believe it or not - probably less if you find the right source...

AS for the pictures, go to the freesite www.photobucket.com you can upload pictures free of charge, and then paste the link here with no size limits basically...thats what I use

·
Registered
790 Posts
I made it to him with a forum discount for less.........he just thought it would be waaaaaaaaaaay less. Can't help it.....just a part not needed very often. It has two universals,sliding shafts and a locking collar.

Been my experienece with other brands as well..........these little shafts are expensive. Keep rattling the guys cage that already has your money for the deck and other items. They're at the Ohio warehouse....your supplier just needs to get with it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts