My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I replace my 23x10.50x12 Carlisle Turf tire with the same size Carlisle All Trail Tire, will my chains still fit?

·
MTF Member
255 Posts
I have a used set of Ags and was going to put chains on them for winter blowing. I tried the chains and they just would not fit worth a hoot. So, I put the chains back on the turfs again and will be using it that way. It seemed the tire chains on the Ags were too big but same sized as the turfs. I think its because there is a lot less rubber on the Ag's between the treads. You can try but mine did not work very well. Sticking with turfs and chains.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
It's hard to say, Danco.

Find the mounted dimensions of the All Trails (someone here should be able to give you that), and compare to the mounted dimension of your turfs. Now with your existing chains, do you have enough adjustment (spare links) to cover the difference in circumference?

I want to say you'll probably be just fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the 23x10.5-12 ALL TRAILS mounted on 12" x 7" rims and they are 22" high and 9 3/4" wide. I'll try to get time to measure the circumfrence later or you can do the math.

·
Premium Member
8,317 Posts
I switched out the stock turfs on my X500 with the same size HDAPs and the chains fit fine.

·
Super Moderator
35,862 Posts
I used the chains from my 212 turf tires 23x10.50 x12 on my Carlisle Ags 23x12x12 last year and they worked on both! Admittedly you have to have plenty of air in the Ags or the chain grabs the brake on the way around and you get some real fun! I couldn't set the Ag's wide because I couldn't get in my shed. I won't have that problem this year I hope!

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Based on the (fine) information posted here and comparing the mounted dimensions between the two tire types, it seems that the chains will fit and more than likely need some tensioning.

MORE QUESTIONS:
Should I even continue to consider the All Trail Tire?

The various surfaces that make up my property are:
• A hard compacted gravel driveway
• Hardwood-mulch garden beds and paths
• Turf

My thoughts were that the All Trail Tire would allow me to plow without chains.
After reading many posts, it seems the chains should be used anyway.

Also, should I expect the All Trail Tire to rough-up my driveway and Turf during the non-frozen months?

Would I be better off with an R/S Turf tire?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
35,862 Posts
I'm going to try to put enough weight on my Ag's this winter to avoid using the chains. They will be there if this doesn't work out for me. I see all the threads from the guys with HDAP's saying they have no need of chains with sufficient weight so I would think you All Trail Tire should allow you to get enough traction without them.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
The chain is going to be needed regardless for snow and ice duty.

My 318 with ags but no chains required careful handling in the snow to prevent it from being stuck.

My son's MTD 990, with mere turfs and chains is a monster. (wow, two chances in one day to show my son off). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEQtE18e7MU

So, turfs with chains are just fine. All Trails with chains are great too, and will be better in just snow without chains than just turfs.

You will not tear up your turf leaving the All Trails on all year. I leave my loaded ags on all year and they don't hurt mine.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The chain is going to be needed regardless for snow and ice duty.

My 318 with ags but no chains required careful handling in the snow to prevent it from being stuck.

My son's MTD 990, with mere turfs and chains is a monster. (wow, two chances in one day to show my son off). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEQtE18e7MU

So, turfs with chains are just fine. All Trails with chains are great too, and will be better in just snow without chains than just turfs.

You will not tear up your turf leaving the All Trails on all year. I leave my loaded ags on all year and they don't hurt mine.
A Boy and His Tractor, Priceless!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts