My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
-
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The background: Got a new RV trailer, 29 footer.

I want to put it on the back side of my house so that it's out of the way and it seems it would be easier, given the small road I live on, to manuever it with the 112 instead of the truck.

I was able to get it into my driveway by pulling into my neighbor's driveway across the road to straighten out and work it in there (still learning the art of manuevering a trailer :fing20:).

I plan to use some sort of a dolly to take the weight of the trailer hitch rather than putting the load on the tractor with a ball on the sleeve hitch. I would attach the dolly to the sleeve hitch for pulling/pushing.

The area that the trailer would go into has grass leading to it so the dolley would have to go off road. My driveway is gravel so the dolly would need to traverse that as well.

Soooo, anyone ever done this? Suggestions, know of a dolly capable, am I totally crazy? :greendr:

·
-
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pic of the tractor for reference:

·
-
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a dolley with 900 lb capacity:

Heavy Duty Trailer Dolly - 900 lb. Capacity

The Kwikee Heavy Duty Trailer Dolly has a 900 lb. weight capacity. It is built to last with sturdy gauged steel.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
My 8 year old asked the same question about our boat. He was so amazed by our 318 he had to ask if it would pull the boat.

The boat is a 21 ft aluminum deck boat on a tandem axle trailer with surge brakes. Right around 5000lbs.

I back the 318 up to it, lower the tonque of the traiiler onto the 318's hitch (~400lbs tongue weight), and slap 200 lbs of suitcase weights on the front. I climb aboard and ever so gently move the hydro lever forward. The front end of the 318 begins to come off the ground. I push the boat slightly backward then try to pull again. Same thing.

My 8 year old son yells "Stop Dad - this is a really stupid idea".

Does that answer the question?

Then there is the subject of braking. Had my boat moved, its trailer does have surge brakes. Your camper has electric brakes and you have no electric brake controller on the tractor. I suspect your camper to be between 6000 and 8000 lbs.

In short, this is a bad idea all the way around.

Of course now that I've said that, someone will come along and say it's no problem at all.

Oh, and BTW, I sure wouldn't be abusing a tractor that nice anyway.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Using the tractor-dolly-trailer method is going to give you two pivot points, and backing it will be harder than you want to imagine.
Ever back two gravity boxes hitched together? :fing20:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
A 29' trailer is awfully heavy for a 112. It may be OK if your site is level but stopping that trailer once you get moving will be problematic. I have no doubt that the 112 can pull it, but I have serious doubts about your ability to stop. The general rule of thumb is to pull, or in this case push, no more than the weight of the tractor and rider.
steve

·
-
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it was one of those questions where I figured I knew the answer but I was hoping someone would prove me wrong. :)

The back area has an earth driveway over a culvert and I'm planning to widen that a bit to give myself a bit more leeway.

That or I can just tell the wife I need that Ford 8N or JD 2305 to move the trailer... :)

There are some electric trailer dolly's on the market but they are expensive!

I was joking about mocking up a fake trailer out of some 2x4's and practicing backing in there. Might not be a bad idea after all, certainly cheaper than dinging up the new RV.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
As long as the ground is firm and flat, your hitch on the tractor is as close to the axle as possible and at the correct hieght, give it a wirl, forget the dolly, you need the weight for traction. If there is ANY obsticles I dout it will do it. but if all is flat and smooth and your hitch is proper, you can shuttle the trailer around.
We move 8000# hay wagons all the time with a yardman GT, full.

·
Registered
198 Posts
practice practice practice....cones in the high school parking lot on weekends is a good start..
another option...front hitch for your tow vehicle... I HAVE to use mine to get my camper into one of my fav spots...

·
-
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought about a front hitch... Not sure how that'd mount. The rear was the factory receiver, 6 bolts and the wiring was already there so it took me 30 minutes to install.

We're going to camp at some pull-through sites first, then we'll work on the marriage busters (i.e. wife guiding me into a spot in the dark - your left or my left?!?!?!).

·
-
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found a couple online. I have the factory offroad skid plate that's in the way though.

Oh well something to cogitate on.

As I mentioned above I have plans to make the ingress/egress easier (widening the entrance, moving bushes, etc.), I'll just have to get working on those sooner. Good excuse to bust out the tractor and get some seat time.

·
Packer Backer
1,021 Posts
I thought about a front hitch... Not sure how that'd mount. The rear was the factory receiver, 6 bolts and the wiring was already there so it took me 30 minutes to install.

We're going to camp at some pull-through sites first, then we'll work on the marriage busters (i.e. wife guiding me into a spot in the dark - your left or my left?!?!?!).
My friend Mike has a 39' fifth wheel and he and his wife use walkie-talkie's when conditions are tight. LOL

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
Yea front hitch for sure is the best, and walkie-talkie's, not a bad idea too :fing32: just find a way to communicate with your wife :hide: :D

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
heres my answer..
along the line, you will need to acquire trailer maneuvering skills anyways.. why not start now?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts