My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is really bugging me. There is another thread about attacking a yote with a garden tractor. Thankfully that situation turned out ok. Thank god. It could have been bad.

Wild animals have 3 things on thier mind. Food, water, surviving the day. Thats about it. They are unpredictable. When cornered or if they feel threatened thay may attack. Whether they are sick or healthy. It is a REALLY bad idea to provoke or attack a wild animal. If possible it is best to avoid the animal, take your cell out of your pocket, and warn your neighbors and family to get indoors if you suspect an animal is rabid.

I've had several close encounters with bears while unarmed. The 1st a large male bear, about the size of my 990 (it was next to the 990) was 20 feet away as I exited my workshop. I just froze and 30 seconds later it alked away.

Early one morning I'm outside loading the woodfurnace so the family can shower. I'm in my boxershorts and sandles. A bear, probably freaked out by a car, RUNS by me, less than 3 feet away.

This year we had a mama and 2 cubs in the yard. A very dangerous situation. They were around for a few days. Until the local game warden gave me rubber buckshot for my 12 guage. 1 shot in the butt, and she left for good.

Yotes, see them all the time. Often in the same field I'm in. Once while bow hunting, and using a fawn bleat, I was stalked by a yote. Needless to say I threw away the fawn bleat. Our son knows when he sees a yote to leave the area.

Wild animals are wild. Plain and simple. Unpredictable and need to be shown a little respect to avoid you or your loved ones getting hurt or worse. I would hate to see anyone here get maimed by a wild animal by attacking it with a gt.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Here in central Tennessee yotes are fair game. I have left 2 of them down in the holler for the buzzards to feast upon.

I agree that playing round up on a small GT is a dangerous situation looking for a very leathal out come.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here in Ny there is a season on them. Unfortunately.

Altho the only good thing about them in I don't have woodchucks or rabbits in my garden that is unfenced in the 6 acre field. The yote's keep them out

·
Super Moderator
31,815 Posts
I have had a few Cyotes in the yard. Not to happy about that!! I can live with the deer, and the chucks, but with two young kids I realy dont want to see the Cyotes!!!

Guess I got to get some pratice time in with my .22 and 20guage! Doupt I can hit the side of a barn with them now. :D

·
15,000 +posts!
20,413 Posts
I'v seen my share of coyotes in my yard and woods behind the back yard,but so far they have not threatened to atack,they just retreat a few yards away and just watch you--if you make noise they usually run away..I just head for the house or garage if I spot one,making sure to keep an eye out behind me in case they start chasing me..its imperative NOT to RUN,that will only activate their "chase" instincts!..
I dont have a gun or FID card (though I wish I did at times like that!--I'm tempted to get a crossbow,if they dont require special licences or permits, for personal protection,in case some animal gets crazy,or some thug tries a home invasion--nice and quiet,and just as deadly!)..

I'm not sure if there is a "season" on coyotes here,but after the farmer up the street lost his wife's dog to one,the local paper said its not illegal for a farmer to kill them on his own property if livestock or humans are threatened or it's possibly rabid..not sure about the rest of us residents though!..but I tend to think the police cheif,who lives very close to me,would probably "overlook" one being shot,if lives were in danger,myself..

My sister lives in north central MA where I was born still,and her town has had several black bear sightings in recent years,picking food out of dumpsters and trash left out for rubbish day..some had to be tranquilized and take back to rural areas in VT or the berksheires to be released,where they would have more room to hunt without encountering humans..I swear I've heard bears in my backyard before,but I didn't go out there to find out for sure--not without a 12 gauge ,no thanks!..

·
Premium Member
7,947 Posts
Here in PA, coyote season is 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, except for the days that it is regular hunting season for deer or turkey. But since deer and turkey season officially "end" each day at 30 minutes after sundown, and start up again at sunrise the next day, you can hunt coyotes at night 365 days a year. I have never seen one here, but I've heard them, and I wouldn't approach one without a firearm, unless it was to rescue a family member or friend that was being attacked. I think that Pennsylvania also pays a bounty on each coyote hide.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the bears Robert. Your central mass relocated bears...to the Berkshires are the reason we have so many here. I'm right at the edge of the Berkshires.

Someday they will let us hunt them here. I did get to shoot my 1st bear, but it was weird to shoot an animal, in the butt, that I wasn't going to kill and eat. That rubber buckshot really made her jump

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Coyotes, wolves, and wild hogs are all fair game at any time in Texas.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Seen lots of coyotes here in West Tn. I give them all the room they need. They sure look like 'nice little doggies' which makes them dangerous to small kids.
What's funny is all the dirt bike woods riding I've done......1,000s of miles.....I've never seen one while riding. I guess their keen sense of hearing, quickness and blending ability makes them tough to spot. I'm sure I've ridden past many of them however.
I HAVE seen mobile meth labs in use however. Fortunately dirt bikes are VERY fast!!!!!
I agree with the premise of your post. NOT a good idea.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
Another wild and potentially dangerous animal whose population is quickly increasing is wild hogs. I saw a show on TV where in this one section of Alabama, they harvested over 750 a year and STILL can't make a dent in the population. These aren't friendly little "cartoon pigs" either, they are a couple a hundred pounds of meaness with SHARP teeth and little fear. Apparently these wild pigs are fast becoming a problem in many states, although I haven't heard of PA being one yet.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've seen em while riding Diesel. Yotes, foxes, bears all while riding a dirt bike. And the yotes won't move. We just stop, turn around, and head out the other way.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
If an animal sees something as a threat, it generally stays away. If, on the other hand, something runs away from it, it will see that as either prey or nothing to worry about. I want the little buggers to worry about me.

Had there been several of those varmints, sure, I'd have taken a different tack. He wasn't cornered as much as I was, and I'd much rather have him where I could watch him rather than let him somewhere behind me.

Lots of talk and lots of opinions whether it was A) brave, B) stupid C) ill-advised. Certainly I don't consider it brave, I wasn't trying to save someone from an attack. Stupid? Don't think so. It was a calculated decision, based on the circumstances at the time. Another time, different circumstances, I might have done something very different. Ill-advised? Probably, for many reasons already stated about the unpredicability of wild animals. But given the same situation and conditions, I'd probably do the same thing again.

I still wish I'd been armed. Would have been over before it began.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Good reply. The situation at the time makes all the difference. YOu can tell by their response what their state of mind is.

·
Registered
748 Posts
For years we never had any coyotes around where I live. Several years go the re-introduced turkeys and the have just exploded as the area is very hospitable for them. The last 3 or 4 years we have started seeing yotes in the area. Spotted one just a few days ago in the neighbors field across the road from me. The last few years wild hogs have also become a problem and if you are out hunting any game here the DNR has given authorization to shoot them.
You have to notify them of the kill and they will come and pic it up. They are very concerned about them spreading disease to local farm animals and resident
widlife.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
KHodges, your thread was only part of the inspiration for my thread. Your thread asked a question. Myself and others posted our opinions. The amount of negative name calling pm's I got from various posters on this forum about my responce was the rest of the inspiration.

I'm just sharing 42 years of living in the country, amunst yotes. They have been a common occurance on our land my entire life. Bears only the last 15.

And a sick yote will attack if and when it feels like it.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Camaniac
3,751 Posts
We're allowed to shoot them if they threaten livestock here on the island. A few farmers have done same for feral dogs, illegal as it is but our animal enforcement force is overtaxed as people who can't take care of them come out here from the mainland and release them. Many articles in the paper ask not to do this, just stop by the N.O.A.H. shelter and drop them off. They don't listen. Sad.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I, for one think that you made the right decision. The animal knew that it was outsized, therefore an attack was not eminent. You blocked the intended path and showed yourself to be a formidable obstacle. Had you turned to make a hasty retreat, that would have been a sign of weekness to the animal, and, most likely, would have instigated an attack.

Coyotes are creatures of opportunity. Had you backed down, the coyote, most likely, would have seen that as an opportunity to take an advantage of.

You don't need me to judge your actions, but I think that you took the best action that you could have. Would I have done the same thing? I don't know. I wouldn't know until I were placed in the exact same situation. Could I remain calm and collected in the same situation? I don't know that either.

I am not here to judge. I am only here to exchange knowledge, opinions when asked (and when I'm asked as well), and hopefully share some laughs and good times with you folks.

That is just my opinion, for what its worth.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts