My Tractor Forum banner

761 - 780 of 790 Posts

·
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #761
Well today was service the John Deere X590 and also a discovery. I serviced the garden tractor changing the oil, filter and the cleaned the air filter fabric. I then go to adjust the deck and discovered that the adjustment screw nuts are just spinning in the holder. I go Dang and since there was not enough room I pull the deck and that is when I discovered that someone had used what appears to be a power tool on the deck adjusters. The inside of the had all the lobes worn down. I look closer at the adjuster and that is when I discovered that they are used on both sides and that they can be flipped over and the nuts will go into the opposite end of the nut holder and work. since I already had the deck off I sharpened the blades and put everything back together. I suspect when I had the X590 was at the dealership for a bent pulley last fall someone used a power tool to lower the deck and wallowed out the lobes with the abuse.

The other thing I was again in a discussion with the new property owner behind my place and he has a easement over the south 20 feet of my property for his driveway. We both have a problem common to this area and it is the rain water is not running and making a swamp at the west end of the easement. What this area really needs is a small ditch to direct the water to the east into a existing ditch at the east end of the easement. So after a small discussion on how to work this I agreed to have the fence on the south end of my property to be moved 6 feet to the north and we dig a ditch and rock line it and that should solve the water issue. I also agree to allow him to widen the entrance to his property by about 4 feet to make it easier to ender the property

·
Super Moderator
28,809 Posts
My neighbors and I stay pretty much to ourselves, but we do cooperate on things like drainage ditches as it serves both of us equally. He didn't get along with the prior owner and the PO didn't do anything to improve the drainage. I was only here for 3 months and I started putting in a french drain across the back of the property. The neighbor came over with a transom to check that I had enough fall on the line since he was in construction. I cracked up because I'd done french drains many times and didn't need the help, but at least he tried.

·
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #763
Well after sharpening the mower blades it was a fail. Seems the center blade on X590 was very slightly bent and when I mowed I was leaving a uneven cut in the center. So yesterday I did a online order with pickup from the dealer and drove over and picked up the new blades and installed them. I got a nice even cut out of the new blades and we have success. So after all the work and the X590 looked like it had gone through a mud bog I decided to give the tractor a fresh wash job and I washed all the mud off and then decided it needed to be given a wax job in the garage. So nice and cleaned up is the John Deere X590 and ready for the next few months. I also did apply more grease to all the grease zerks after I washed the tractor.

·
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #765
Well the new shed arrived today and is on the cement pad in the back yard. nOw the fun starts for me. I want to paint it but first I need to do is to chalk it and prep the building for paint. My wife wanted for a garden shed and hold her junk I am thinking the larger size then a standard dinky shed would have been fine but I went two sizes larger so she can have fun filling it all up. I also have to repair the yard where the delivery truck ended up hitting a soft area. I knew about it and it is on me to do the repair to the yard. I wait until this weekend and then use my tractor to smooth out the mess from the truck. No big issue to me.

·
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #768
She is excited to have the new storage but then popped on me the fact it needs a walkway to it. Thats when I got her. I told her a 16' X 40' pad on the north side of the house and a curving "S" shaped sidewalk to the new building. I wanted to do a cement pad for the last ten years on the north side of the house and she then approved it as she will not get her feet dirty in the grass during our raining season.

·
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #770
Well this weekend I got the ends painted and a couple trim boards up. The reason for the trim boards is one to hide the metal flashing under the upper cross piece and the 2nd to hide the rather unattractive lower board. I am going to have to take a few days break and dig up the area where the cement job is going as I am having a neighbor to do the jib but I am to do the digging as much as possible then he can come in level the area and do the pour this Friday. I did expand the area to make it even all the way across the garage in front of the garage pad.

·
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #772
The past few days I been digging and doing the preparation work and today the cement sidewalk and pad between the newer pole buildings existing pad and the house have been poured and we are now letting the newly cemented areas curing. I did have some work done as the area from the existing pad and the house are now matching. I decided since I had budgeted a certain amount and guess much higher the originally I might as well just make it even by adding 12 X 38 to the new pad of 40 X16 and the sidewalk it would look much better to be a nice straight shot across and I got to say seeing it actually poured I made the right choice.

Attachments

·
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #774
Looks good !! You didn't waste any time getting that installed.
I got to hit when the iron is still hot. I also have a neighbor who side jobs these and I grabbed him to do the work.

·
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #775
The neighbor finished today and pulled the forms and did some saw cuts to make sure that the rain water would flow freely and it was also control cuts. They are finished and now I have some minor work in the area. I want to put in some 12" X 12"pavers between the house and the cement pad, I have the pavers that I took out of the area that was cemented and I got the first six feet done for the most part, I just have to remove the excess rocks that in the area but my back was bothering me so I just take this part slow and easy until I am done. I already filled the area between the driveway and the new pad.

This came out more quickly and was done a lot faster then I ever imagined. I actually played on a hunch that my new neighbor would know someone who would be interested in doing a small cement job. He was the one I actually wanted and he was motivated to come over a couple hours after I contacted him and a hour later we came to terms to do the job. In my younger days I might have attempted this but at my age I was a better gofer then doing the actual work. I did go for this and that when they were doing the work. My wife would have shot me if she had seen me putting on the water proof boots and jumping in to help so I stayed at the sidelines even though I really wanted to do the work.

The chicane sidewalk came out just great and I get some topsoil in the area and around my septic tanks and seed the area for grass and I have that finished. I got a summer load of projects in the next few months with painting the shed the rest of the way, doing the pavers, getting some topsoil and someplace in there just relaxing and being a retiree will be slipped in also.

2,440 Posts
Walking from the house to the garage or to the shed, you should be able to keep your shoes clean now that the areas are a clean surface. We have outside shoes and inside shoes we wear. We change our shoes in the garage when we go outside. We do this to stop tracking dirt inside. We especially do this when we go grocery shopping this days because the virus is on the floors in the stores and we don't want to track it inside.

20200518_081355.jpg

·
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #777
I just finished the pavers between the new slab and the house. since these pavers are recycled they do have moss and dirt in them but I am just glad I got the work done for now. I pulled all the weeds and will use some herbicide to prevent anything from growing between the pavers. Later next week I pressure wash the side of the house to remove the grass clippings and I just take the time to lean the pavers. For now I am very satisfied with the paver installation. Some of the are a little proud and I come back later and see if I can lower the proud ones.

2,440 Posts
That area is good you used brick pavers. You may need access up close to the house for a reason like installing underground conduit or wires and they can be easily moved and put back. They look nice.

·
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #779
That area is good you used brick pavers. You may need access up close to the house for a reason like installing underground conduit or wires and they can be easily moved and put back. They look nice.
That was the entire idea that they be easily could be removed. I wish I would have thought of it but the guy who did the cement for me came up with the idea. He saw the pavers I took out on a pallet where I had stack them and said those would work well between the house and new cement. At least I was listening as I would not of thought of that unless he said something.

·
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #780
61172190074__FB5430B8-A123-4C13-81DD-8DA33FF127D9.jpg
More paver work was done today as I still have enough pavers to do the entire approach to the new cemented area. I did have some old pavers that I had put down to elevate the area near the front steps. These pavers were a red color and I thought what the heck let me put these on the approach next to the rent steps. Once I got the red pavers installed the wife comes out and said to take the rest of the pavers and do in front of the new cement. I said sure that would look nice and it is what I originally was thinking of doing anyway. I will not be able to do the pavers three across only a single row so I just use what I got in the manner that I have anyway.

761 - 780 of 790 Posts