My Tractor Forum banner

741 - 760 of 790 Posts
2,440 Posts
We have a stock pile of clean rags. Every Christmas my wife buys me new under shirts. I place the old ones in a clean rag bin we have in the basement. There must be 30 of them in there. We use them for dusting, cleaning windows, and car washes. I usually keep one in the car. A lot of gas stations are always out of them.

·
Parts collector
3,339 Posts
News paper is awesome for cleaning windows I keep a stash for starting my wood stove.
Yep, I have a stash of old socks with holes I was saving for shop rags. I probably have 20 Tee shirts I could cut up too. I also have a pile of worn out towels I can cut up for whatever. ;)

·
16,345 Posts
This so strange. I needed some paper towels but since the idiots have done the run on TP now they have moved on the paper towels. So since I don't have paper towels I dug through the recycling bins I have and pulled out the newspapers. I needed to clean the windows on my vehicles and paper towels are not available so I been using the newspapers that I had stashed, what a bunch of pack animals. The good thing is my wife is a cheap price saver and had bought months ago about six twelve count packages of TP. I got on her for that and told her to stop buying TP as I was running out storage for it. Hey anybody need a 12 pack of TP I might put it on eBay. :cool:

So the last three days since I can't go out with the stay at home order I have been power washing, waxing and detailing my three vehicles. I planned to do this next month but I got bored and did the clean up early on the vehicles. I still got to wax the hood and left side of my Dodge Ram 2500 but the tailgate and the right side are polished up and really nice looking. If it stop raining for a solid week I could also do the project that really needs to be done on the north side of my main driveway and that is get a load of pea gravel and dig a trench and put in a French drain to redirect the standing water from the driveway.
///////////////////////////

Michael--I have been using old newspaper for years to clean windows--no streaking...And mix either white vinegar/water or ammonia and water for the window cleaner. Years ago--an older 'counytry raised' cleaning lady that worked for us many years gave me that advice...
" Don't waster good $$ on a lot of cleaning stuff--here,look at this", she said....wow--for no formal education she was smart....She threw out a lot of little 'tid-bits like that.....
Good ol' Ginny--long gone,but not forgotten....(y)(y)

glenn

·
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #745
Well today was the filter replacement day on my Chevrolet Equinox diesel. I replaced the air filter and cabin air filter. The filters both were at 20,227 miles and I always had the habit of replacement in a couple years or 20,000 miles so they were replaced. After looking at them I think I could have easily got another year out of them but I bought the new filters and I dd the replacement anyway.

The newspaper trick I learned from my grandmother who said I am not paying for paper towels as it is wasteful, I have to agree that they are a waste but in the shop a really needed item for when I do oil changes and several other items, I just use them for the oil changes now and use the newspapers for the cleaning of the windows . I finally found some blue shop paper towels today when I stopped in at Harbor Freight (I actually needed to use the faculties) but I spotted them and grabbed 4 rolls used a 20% off coupon and picked up a free package of AA batteries.

·
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #746

You know what this means. The quick oil change place was closed. I actually know how to change oil but absolutely hate doing that messy job and for years just hired to out. Well since this Covid 19 has shut everything down in my local area I just decided to go ahead and do the oil change myself. In a little over a hour I had the 3.25 gallons of oil drained and refilled with the new filter. At least the truck is ready for the next 3,000 miles.

·
Parts collector
3,339 Posts
3000 miles? Dang man I change my filter at 4K and run the oil to 7K and I use the same oil as you. :)

·
Premium Member
8,320 Posts
3000 miles? Dang man I change my filter at 4K and run the oil to 7K and I use the same oil as you. :)
This seems backwards to me? Do you really change the oil less frequently than the filter? I think I've heard of people changing the oil on schedule, but only doing the filter every second oil change.

If your post is accurate, do you drain the oil before removing the filter, and then just put it back in?

Mike

·
Parts collector
3,339 Posts
This seems backwards to me? Do you really change the oil less frequently than the filter? I think I've heard of people changing the oil on schedule, but only doing the filter every second oil change.

If your post is accurate, do you drain the oil before removing the filter, and then just put it back in?

Mike

Pull the filter at 4K and fill it with a qt of new oil no need to drain the oil pan. Then run that till 6-7k and change oil and filter. Synthetic oil is good for 10K The oil doesn't go bad it gets carbon build up in it. Thus the reason for changing the filter out at 4K to clean the old oil up. The filter is what needs changed more often to keep the oil clean reducing wear on bearings and parts.

·
Premium Member
8,320 Posts
Interesting, thanks. Same for gss engines?

Mike

·
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #752
Ok guys the reason I change oil as frequently as I do is the fact the truck is driven frequent short distances and does a lot of short distance towing also. The buildup of contamination of the oil can be a a issue. Rather then dealing with issues I prefer to take the proactive approach and just do the oil change. I am very much aware of the habits I have and since it my style of driving to make sure that the oil and filter are more often then the manual says. Maybe that is the reason I made a Plymouth Acclaim with a 3.0 liter V6 go 310,000 miles and it was still running when I sold it after 20 plus years of driving it daily.

·
Parts collector
3,339 Posts
Interesting, thanks. Same for gss engines?

Mike
I wouldn't go more than 6K on gasser and change the filter around 2500K The gasser has less oil in it so it will "wear out" faster than a diesel. My diesel holds 13qts where as your gasser only hold 6qts.

Ok guys the reason I change oil as frequently as I do is the fact the truck is driven frequent short distances and does a lot of short distance towing also. The buildup of contamination of the oil can be a a issue. Rather then dealing with issues I prefer to take the proactive approach and just do the oil change. I am very much aware of the habits I have and since it my style of driving to make sure that the oil and filter are more often then the manual says. Maybe that is the reason I made a Plymouth Acclaim with a 3.0 liter V6 go 310,000 miles and it was still running when I sold it after 20 plus years of driving it daily.
I hear ya. heck I have an 02 Durango I bought used with a 4.7 (known for lifter problems) I have no clue how it was taken care of but it has 268K on the clock and sounds great.

·
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #754
My property has a 16' X 36' cement pad behind the house that the previous owner had put in. It has a slight slope to and I suspect that it at one time was used as a kennel pad for dogs. Since I was bored I decided to clean the area and see if it would work as a repurposed pad for a storage shed. After Leaning it up over the past few days the pad is in decent enough shape to have a shed on it. So yesterday the wife and I went shopping and we decided to have a new shed built. The new shed is 20' X 12'. This is the fact as we have run out of room for all of our junk so one more outbuilding for more junk. Anyway I grabbed a picture off the website of a new shed that is similar but the one on the site has the door on the narrow end and ours will be on the long end and the picture has windows on it but we will not have windows installed. That should satisfy the wife and I got a good deal on the new shed. We should have the new building in about 3-4 weeks the new building will be delivered without paint as I want to save some money and paint it to match our home.

·
Super Moderator
28,809 Posts
I hate to ask but what is the blue 4" pipe there for? Can't believe you ran out of room in your barn already. Sounds like me, I have a 24 x 12 and a 10 x 8 shed and with the 2nd JD and implements I've had to find space. So I may be adding a larger shed in a year or two. Good luck with the extra space!

·
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #756
I hate to ask but what is the blue 4" pipe there for? Can't believe you ran out of room in your barn already. Sounds like me, I have a 24 x 12 and a 10 x 8 shed and with the 2nd JD and implements I've had to find space. So I may be adding a larger shed in a year or two. Good luck with the extra space!
The blue 4" pipe was connected to the downspout off the newer pole building. I have since pulled the blue pipe and used a different product that I rotated 90 degrees to go behind my pole building instead of the pipe.

The thing is I have a couple projects going and one is to replace all the badly damaged fencing that is around my pasture. I have to get this done soon as the place adjacent to the pasture has been sold and I want to take all the barb wire down and install field fencing. I have three wooden poles that are rotten and I will replace them and then install the fencing. With the new neighbors I want to make sure it is clear that my pasture is my property as the gal that is living there seemed to think she could complain a lot of what I did in my pasture. Nothing satisfied her over the last few years. I had issues with her complaining she could hear my heat pump when she was trying to sleep and my answer was to close her window as she run the wood stove up hot then open the window at night. She complained about the fact I did not maintain the easement to get to her property (that was covered in the maintenance agreement she signed that all maintenance was the persons who used the easement). She planted wisterias brushes against the property line and I chopped them back to the property line. Just a great person. I also plan to put a gate in the area so I have access without going around via the road to the back side of my property.

·
Premium Member
8,320 Posts
Got to love neighbors. My Dad's house and (steel) shed got hit by an old, dying pine tree (trunk was less than 10 feet from the fence, on the neighbor's side), which broke off and fell during a blizzard. Miraculously, no damage was done to the house, but the shed was trashed.

At the time, my Dad was up in Boston, staying in a hotel so he could visit my Mom (RIP), who was recovering from a major surgery at the time. My sister was checking the mail, and saw the downed tree (this was at the back of the driveway). She called me, I drove down there and we took some pics, then went to Boston to visit Mom (and tell Dad about the tree in the waiting area, not to upset Mom).

I offered to cut it down, he told me to leave it and he'd have the neighbor deal with it. Well, the neighbor did remove the tree, but never made good on the shed. Worse, they waited for Dad to go and make first contact about the problem...

Mike

·
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #758
Got to love neighbors. My Dad's house and (steel) shed got hit by an old, dying pine tree (trunk was less than 10 feet from the fence, on the neighbor's side), which broke off and fell during a blizzard. Miraculously, no damage was done to the house, but the shed was trashed.

At the time, my Dad was up in Boston, staying in a hotel so he could visit my Mom (RIP), who was recovering from a major surgery at the time. My sister was checking the mail, and saw the downed tree (this was at the back of the driveway). She called me, I drove down there and we took some pics, then went to Boston to visit Mom (and tell Dad about the tree in the waiting area, not to upset Mom).

I offered to cut it down, he told me to leave it and he'd have the neighbor deal with it. Well, the neighbor did remove the tree, but never made good on the shed. Worse, they waited for Dad to go and make first contact about the problem...

Mike
Oh yeah she been a pain in the rear for a long time. This gal also didn't inform the real estate agent that the pasture in front of her place was not hers. I had folks walking the pasture and I had to ask them to leave. One young man mouth off to me and I said that he needed to leave immediately. I asked what do you prefer to leave and get off my property or talk to the sheriff, the young man left immediately after that. I don't know you would be arguing with me in that case. I finally just put up field fencing in the areas that the old barb wire fence was broken and posted three more "No Trespassing" signs down the length of the easement. Then the old gal decided that the signs were excessive and I finally exploded on her and told her point blank that she was dealing with my property and that she was stop harassing me and stop bothering me. I have never exploded like that before but I am not going to tolerate anymore annoyances from her.

I have not yet met the young couple that have agree to purchase the property behind my place but I fully intend to met up with them and offer to assist them in any way I can so that they can get off on the right foot with me. I am thinking that the closing date will likely be around the first of next month but it might be dependent on the community stay at home orders we are under.

·
Premium Member
8,320 Posts
Hopefully the new neighbors are better! Starting off positive is always a great idea. Goes for both sides, of course.

I've probably already told you about the loser who moved in behind my old house? After the original owner fought for an easement to build on an undersized lot (which I didn't fight), he had the cahones to complain about some pines I was planting along the property line.

The trees were 10 feet onto my property, and the boundary was clearly marked by a stone wall that HE owned. Apparently the new buyer didn't want "his" view blocked (the only view was my backyard, because he didn't have one on account of the postage stamp-sized lot upon which he insisted on building).

Needless to say, nothing good happened after that...

Mike

·
5,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #760
Well finally the new neighbors arrived and I have been busy finally removing the wisteria that grew onto my property, I also removed the barb wire fence and posts that was over grown by the wisteria. I met the new owners and they have some awesome plans. First they are planning to remove all the wisteria and the 2nd chainlink fence. Then once that is finished they plan to install a open wood fence with wire mesh so they can restore the view. I really like this new owner and his family they are really agreeable. I also said just run the fence right at the property line and I am fine with that. Since they are really agreeable I just told them go ahead come over to my side of the property to remove the chain link fence and wisteria as it would be much easier to do it that way along with restoring the underground drainage and then restore the area when finished.

I always found it is easier to work with your neighbor then against the neighbor but some folks were just impossible to work with as the lady that lived in the home prior.

741 - 760 of 790 Posts