My Tractor Forum banner

701 - 720 of 727 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,009 Posts
It's always something, isn't it?

At our old house, we had an undersized, wet, empty lot behind us. We were told it was unbuildable, which was one of the reasons we liked the setup.

The owner eventually spent enough time and money in court to win a zoning variance to build a house (to this day, I have no idea how he got the perc test to ever pass).

Anyway, our backyard was clear (from the PO) all the way to the lot line, so I planted a row of pine trees on my side of the border.

After the house was built, the guy put it on the market and it quickly sold. About a week before the deal closed, the guy told me that we planted the trees on his property. I showed him that they were planted at least 10 feet on our side of the rock wall which ran between the two granite property markers on the lot corners.

He walked away mumbling that the new owners didn't want their view blocked. WHAT view, other than MY backyard??? Their lot had no back yard, as it was undersized the whole time...

As you may have guessed, the new owners didn't make good neighbors after moving in...

Mike

·
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #702

At our old house, we had an undersized, wet, empty lot behind us. We were told it was unbuildable, which was one of the reasons we liked the setup.

The owner eventually spent enough time and money in court to win a zoning variance to build a house (to this day, I have no idea how he got the perc test to ever pass).

Anyway, our backyard was clear (from the PO) all the way to the lot line, so I planted a row of pine trees on my side of the border.

After the house was built, the guy put it on the market and it quickly sold. About a week before the deal closed, the guy told me that we planted the trees on his property. I showed him that they were planted at least 10 feet on our side of the rock wall which ran between the two granite property markers on the lot corners.

He walked away mumbling that the new owners didn't want their view blocked. WHAT view, other than MY backyard??? Their lot had no back yard, as it was undersized the whole time...

As you may have guessed, the new owners didn't make good neighbors after moving in...

Mike
Yes that seems to be the thing with having one annoying neighbor. I bought this lot 20 years ago and it was a distressed property when I bought it. All the lots are a minimum lot size of five acres. After spending the first couple years of clearing the property, I finally did just maintenance and it looked ok.

The neighbor that was in the place behind me was the elderly husband and wife. They were great folks and I never had a issue with them as they were friendly and easy going. The bad part is the wife had a stroke and the husband died after a while and the wife was put into a nursing home.

The 2nd family was the granddaughter and husband. Oh my god they were terrible having parties and the children were constantly throwing diapers, toys and garbage over the fence and no one would retrieve it until I went over explained that I did not like that. After a couple years the son of the first couple that lived there had taken the place over and it went to being peaceful and quiet.

The son was a nice guy but he then remarried and his bride was a bit different. She constantly battled with me on what I was doing on my property. I had a compost heap in the middle of the pasture and she complained that it was in her view from her home looking out into my pasture, she complained that my cow and horses were smelly and then took me to the department of natural resources when I cut down a couple dead trees that threatened the road out in front of my place. She also complained last fall when I trimmed the wisteria off the fence, The latest is the same old same old with her not telling the realtor that pasture is a different property.

I finally had a enough of the gripping and told her point blank I will maintain the pasture as I see fit as it is my property and that what you see is what you get and stop complaining, if you don't like it move the manufactured home on her property deeper into the property and not against the fence. I just put up everything to make it clear that I own the pasture and I no longer care what she thinks because I will assert my rights to MY property.

2,239 Posts

Mike
Now that's strange. My neighbors love the tall evergreens I've planted along my fence. It gives them just as much privacy as it give us. They are about 30 feet high. In fact, I was going to cut a few dead ones down and they said don't touch them.

·
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #704
Some folks just do not get that they do not have the right to tell someone how they are to maintain their property as long as it does not have a health, safety or fire hazard to the adjoining properties. My property is maintained in a manner that I want it and not what some other folks folks think it should be. I have eliminated all the hazards that were on this property when I originally bought this property and the lady behind my place never saw this property 20 plus years ago. It was badly overgrown with the prior owner had a unfinished log building that was condemned by the county as it was improperly built and the pier blocks were on bare ground, this property had 4 or 5 junked cars, and blackberry brambles all over. It took a good two years for me to find everything in the yard, clear it all out and the third year I tore down the cabin and then ten years after I bought the property for me to get a new pole building on north side of my home to house our RV.

The big thing is my property free and clear and I am rather upfront that this is my property and make everyone aware of it. Uninvited folks will be notified to leave. It is not that I am not friendly I just don't want them here and I do have the property clearly marked and posted.

·
Premium Member
8,009 Posts
Now that's strange. My neighbors love the tall evergreens I've planted along my fence. It gives them just as much privacy as it give us. They are about 30 feet high. In fact, I was going to cut a few dead ones down and they said don't touch them.
Strange is one of the nicer words to describe the new owners. My wife was never comfortable after they moved in, our sense of privacy (risk of being stared at) was too much. We were so happy to be gone.

Our new house has empty lots behind us. There was a development put in a few years ago, but there are two narrow strips between us and that new neighborhood.

While nothing is impossible, I'm not expecting them to be built. They'd need a variance or some other open piece of property to extend into these lots, as they're surrounded by homes. One of our neighbors offered to buy a parcel (to make his yard bigger), the guy obviously wasn't interested, because his asking price was ridiculous.

Mike

·
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #706
Yeah we are far enough away from all the neighbors to be very comfortable and since we are zoned rural the lot sizes were minimum 5 acres, today it is ten acres but we are grandfathered on the old lot sizes. I have 5 acres and for the most part all the other neighbors around us are nice folks except the one but I just do what I need to satisfy myself and my wife. The other thing is the disconnect from price to reality out here. The county has the properties similar to what my place valued around 275K and both the one for sale an mine are very similar and the listing is 435K there is no way that it is that value, maybe a 100K less but we will wait and see what it sells for.

·
Premium Member
8,009 Posts
When you say "manufactured home" do you mean a prefab on a foundation, or a mobile home / trailer?

They're lucky you put the compost pile in the middle of the field. You could put that on the adjoining lot line...

Mike

·
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #708
Manufactured home is the modern way of saying a mobile home. Mine is a double wide and so is the other home so it is apples to apples. Both lots the homes were built in 1990 and so they are both 30 years old but mine is in better shape. The place behind mine will require a new roof soon and the mechanicals inside will soon need replacement. My place has a newer heat pump system, newer water heater and newer metal roofing. These were all replaced in the last five years. I knew I was going to retire soon and I didn't want unexpected repairs going forward.

·
Premium Member
8,009 Posts
Gotcha. Moving it away from your lot line should be easy then!

Mike

·
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #710
Gotcha. Moving it away from your lot line should be easy then!

Mike
Not really it would be a lot of work, the septic has to be moved, the water, electric and a new foundation would all be required. The easiest would just do a complete do over and build a new home or get a new manufactured home on a new foundation (foundations are required now on manufactured homes in earthquake prone areas). Then take the old home and either sell the old manufacture home, abandon the septic and cut the lines and relocate the water supply lines

·
Premium Member
8,009 Posts
Oh, I'd assumed no foundation. That changes everything. Water and electric is easy, sewer/septic can be a nightmare depending on the local governing body.

Mike

·
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #713
2,748 days until I can retire, to do what I want to work at and counting...
Just over 7 and half years. You will make it as I did. You can do it as I did not expect to retire until I was 62 but did it at 59 as I got a offer from my employer that I could not refuse.

·
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #714
Went pawn shopping the other day and found a full set of Armstrong USA made metric long reach wrenches for $89.00. I saw a identical set on eBay for $349.00. I really did not need the set but for the price I DID NEED THEM!!! I mainly use them for the truck tools and they will be handy. With the vinyl bag they roll up nice easy and then hit the road. The full set is from 7 MM to 24 MM

·
Premium Member
8,009 Posts
Wow, great score! I really, really could have used that 8mm wrench earlier tonight...

Mike

·
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #716
Wow, great score! I really, really could have used that 8mm wrench earlier tonight...

Mike
Yeah I saw that and the price on it and I just did not even think about it I just grabbed them. They were even cheaper then what a good set goes for at Harbor Freight, Lowe's or Home Depot. I have always found it was the 10MM either wrenches or sockets that sprout wings and disappear. 🐓

·
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #717
Well after a couple weeks off I am back but am a bit snowed in for the last three days. Lost the DSL a couple days ago and it was restored last night but I have been super busy doing other stuff and since it is the winter I tend to stay inside and have to bug my wife. We had several inches of snow that was really pretty but I just sat it out as the drivers out here are all the experts on driving in the snow. I saw the results of a insurance survey rating drivers in snow in Western Washington and they all thought they were better then average snow drivers. I guess they don't observe around them the havoc they spread in the winter driving conditions as actually the folks out her are some of the worst snow drivers I have ever seen. They drive way to fast for the conditions or way to slow and tie up traffic. I had one years ago driving in the right lane of the freeway suddenly cut me and a highway patrolman off as we climb a hill. The drivers response after he was pulled over by the highway patrolman was he thought I should slow down (I was doing 35 MPH and under complete control). That driver was ticketed for a unsafe lane change in traffic.

2,239 Posts
I'm glad to hear to got your DSL back. I think I would go nuts without my desktop computer. I do have a android phone and a laptop I can go to starbucks and plug it in if the power goes out. We have live cameras of the intersections where we live that show the conditions of the roads. Living just outside of DC, they were installed back after 911. There are thousands of them. If it snows a lot, we can check the conditions of the roads online.

·
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #719

This picture was today and the snow has melted about a half of the total from yesterday. Now it is snowing some right now but the weather reporters are all saying that it will snow some more tonight and by morning it should turn to rain. I sure hope so!!! I do know that I lived for over 30 years without the internet and I can easily just do something else without it until it all comes back up. Actually that is the first time in over ten years that we went without service for a extended period, not to bad for a rural area.

2,239 Posts
Guess What, Thursday we had some electrical work done. Replaced the service entrance cable, installed some ground rods and wire. Add some circuits and label the box. Friday we notice the phones don't work but we have internet and cable TV. We have three computers, printer, and four cable TV's that work off of Fios but all the phones in the rooms which is Fios, on the same line don't work. We think the electrician knock lose something but him and Verizon are coming Saturday to figure it out. Luckily we have cell phones.

701 - 720 of 727 Posts