My Tractor Forum banner

681 - 700 of 795 Posts

·
Parts collector
3,503 Posts
Most of the ads in the mail for the quick lube places do state in fine print "excludes diesel vehicles" now,because they didn't previously,and owners of diesels that hold between 7 and 11 quarts were getting oil changes for like $19.95 !..(but I bet it wasn't diesel rated oil they got either!)..

The previous post reminds me I really should replace the air filter in my 6.2 GM powered pickup--it is the old fashioned round style,which maybe one parts store still stocks in town,and isn't cheap like they used to be..
I have used the air gun to blow it out a few times,and rotated it so a "new spot" faces the air inlet,it has only about 8000 miles on it,but it took me 16 years to go that far with it..the amount of air it has to filter is impressive,a V8 diesel inhales more air at idle than a wide open 4 barrel on an older gas engine !..I bet I'd notice an improvement in power and mpg by replacing it..
My diesel holds 13qts, Went to Pepboys for an oil change in FL while I was down there working on my sister's house. The charged me $60 even after I bought 2 tires because it took 2.25 more oil than a regular car.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #682
I went to Harbor Freight today and I walk in and see this older series 1 toolbox for $239.98. The assistant manager said to me if you want it I take half off the price. I said to ring it up.

Now what to do with it as I don't really need it and thought awhile about it and I put in the 2nd garage and store stuff that I don't frequently need in it. For the price I could not go wrong and it will eventually get used for other things.

The only thing is now I need to go back and pick up the consumables I wanted to get but that is for another day.

Attachments

·
Parts collector
3,503 Posts
:tango_face_surprise dang I could not have passed that up either! I have the 54" box and love it. I've had it for all but 10 years now and it's working great.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #684
I already have two of the same roller cabinets so I don't really need it in my shop but the price I could not refuse. It was used and was dirty but I used some cheap cleaner on it and waxed it and it all came out nice. It does a few scratches on the back and one on the side but otherwise then that it is in really good shape.

I am figuring out a usage for it and I think that I will use it to store my home electrical kit as I am using a metal cupboard but it is full and disorganized. I am sure that the wife will also figure out that she can use it for something and it will be used. I have 1/2" plywood I am going to cut to fit and sand for the top and protect the top as it was absolutely perfect under the black mat.

Attachments

·
16,476 Posts
The quick lube I take my car to is a independent one and he gets for just under a hundred dollars on my Ram. With a 3 gallons of oil required with the filter my truck does take some oil. My 2018 Chevy Equinox diesel takes Dexos 2 oil (European spec. oil) so the change on it is around $85.00. My wife Caliber is the only one that is cheap on oil changes.
///////////////////////////////

Michael--just for ur info--all the newer GM products spec. the NEW Dexos2 additive packages--my '14 GMC truck requires 00-20W. Most of our work/delivery vehicles (ALL GM) use 5W-20 w/ the Dexos label. Something about timing chain wear on some/cam problems on others.:tango_face_grin: Constantly changing the requirements........looking for better emmisions/better fuel mpg.
Thanks for letting me inter-ject this...

glenn

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #686
///////////////////////////////

Michael--just for ur info--all the newer GM products spec. the NEW Dexos2 additive packages--my '14 GMC truck requires 00-20W. Most of our work/delivery vehicles (ALL GM) use 5W-20 w/ the Dexos label. Something about timing chain wear on some/cam problems on others.:tango_face_grin: Constantly changing the requirements........looking for better emmisions/better fuel mpg.
Thanks for letting me inter-ject this...

glenn
Yeah the changing requirements still adds a bit to the cost of the oil but I also understand the changes. One thing else that Dexos2 does is it can not cause damage to the emission control devices on the Diesel light duty engines that GM uses on the Equinox/Terrain and the light duty pickups Colorado and Silverado.

IN other things today I found a potential purpose for the $120.00 toolbox that I got from Harbor Freight yesterday and it is to store the electrical spare parts and wiring I had jammed into a old kitchen cabinet and then I had to go hunting thru it with the result of a lot of it all over the place as I dig out a receptacle or a new breaker. Now with all sorted out it makes it a quick easy thing to find. I am sure that more things will find their way into this box as I still have half of the drawers still empty. I am also thinking putting in a few tools for quick work in this garage.

I also found a piece of plywood that fits the top of the $120.00 toolbox that is just a 1/2" short of covering the entire top of the box. As soon as I did that my wife wanted the extra dog food to put on the top as it is easier then having it on the bottom shelf of the shelving unit right next to this box. That makes it much easier to get as my wife and I don't have to bend down then stand up with 30-40 pounds of dog food.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #687
Buddy stops by a couple days ago with a wooden shelving unit. It is a bit on the ugly side as it was painted purple but it will be fine for my garage next to the metal unit I have in the front corner of my shop. It only had 2 shelves so I go and find some 1/2" plywood and found some 10" deep plywood and cut it down and slipped it in or should I say I hammered it in as I fit it tight. Once the 2 additional shelves are installed and screwed in I slide it into the location and it fit perfect. Now more vertical storage for my shop and better fit for what I wanted. Best thing is it was free.

The other item I was goofing off in front of the grocery store and I was resetting my trip meter on my truck and holding the button down on the trip meter on the dash and then turned the key on. I discovered how to check the lights in the dash module. I knew there was a way to do this but it kind of surprised me when all the lights came on. It also checked for any codes in it. :tango_face_surprise

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,027 Posts
Haven't checked in here in quite a while, but everything's looking great, Michael!

I think we all have horror stories from mechanics and quick lube shops. I know a guy who got a new (manual) transmission in his truck after they forgot to refill it. Sadly, he met with the dealership owner, but had to get a lawyer involved to make him pay.

I love those steel shelves. I've been fortunate enough to get a bunch for free over the years, as businesses change them out for newer ones. They're also often on CL for free (or very cheap). My favorite are the ones with the doors on front.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #689
I had replaced the ceiling fan about a year or so ago and last night the wife went to switch on the fan and the chain came tumbling down in her hand. This morning I investigate and yep the chain broke inside the cheap switch and called for the entire switch to be replaced. When I replaced the old ceiling fan I took the old ceiling fan out to the shop and harvested all the parts off of it before taking the remainder to the dump.

I got in the box and found the fan control switch. I stripped the wires back a little so I could use wire nuts and went in took apart the lower end of the fan. I took out the old switch and wired in the replacement switch and for no cost to me except my labor I had the fan up and running again to circulate air in the house. I do wish that the companies making a product would just do something like make it so these switches would have a small screw in them so when the chain breaks you can take the screw off, pull the plastic and reinstall the chain again. Way to logical to make it serviceable.

After that was done the wife took me to Applebee's and got me a veterans dinner for free for me and I ended up paying for her meal. A big thank you for all the businesses and folks giving discounts and free meals to veterans.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #690
A little update and the 30 year old replacement switch broke so I went down to Home Depot and they had the replacement switch for $5.99 plus tax. I don't know sometimes I try to cheap out and it bites me but I knew it was possible when I did the replacement with a old switch. I put in the new switch but I also gave the new switch a shot of dry silicon spray when I reassembled the fan in any of the wear locations. I think I should of got a fan with remote control so we are not pulling on the switch as much. Of well in a few years it won't matter what I did anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,027 Posts
You can always add a remote to any ceiling fan. They sell a kit, you just wire the receiver in place in the fan housing.

We did that in our bedroom because we didn't want to run a 4-wire Romex cable just to replace the existing 3-wire one.

For the kids rooms, there were no existing ceiling fixtures (and no Romex even roughed in), so we ran 4-wire and use switches on the wall to control speed and light intensity.

Anything is better than those chain pull switches.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #692
You can always add a remote to any ceiling fan. They sell a kit, you just wire the receiver in place in the fan housing.

We did that in our bedroom because we didn't want to run a 4-wire Romex cable just to replace the existing 3-wire one.

For the kids rooms, there were no existing ceiling fixtures (and no Romex even roughed in), so we ran 4-wire and use switches on the wall to control speed and light intensity.

Anything is better than those chain pull switches.

Mike
Yeah the pull switches are kind of cheap and I do know I will be replacing it again in the future as cheap as the pull chain is in these. When it gets to that point I source a remote control and wire it in. I just wanted something cheap and quick this time so I did not have to use the light switch to turn the fan off and on which did not give anything but high speed to control the fan.

Today I went and was at the used tool dealer and he sold me a set of SAE Gearwrench ratcheting wrenches for a great price.

Attachments

·
16,476 Posts
I have two (metric/SAE) of the same gearwrenches as that, except mine might be an older version--doesn't have the selector switch on them. Use thme all the time--first pick out of the box--unless I need a specific 6-pt. socket for a reason.
Good deal there---They are keepers!

glenn

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #694
I have two (metric/SAE) of the same gearwrenches as that, except mine might be an older version--doesn't have the selector switch on them. Use thme all the time--first pick out of the box--unless I need a specific 6-pt. socket for a reason.
Good deal there---They are keepers!

glenn
I sure like these newer versions of the Gearwrenches as they are smoother then the older ones as I had the older first edition ones without the selector switch before and I did not like them and sold my first set to a coworker. These are greatly improved smooth ratcheting action and actually much better quality. I already used them on my Falcon and I probably make them my first choice for using them when I need a wrench. I just need to find a full set of metrics Gearwrenches

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #695

I came into the house today and our smallest dog decided that he can do tricks. Bo is the most cat like of our three dogs, very aloof and here he is acting like a normal dog that wants something.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #696
Today I got busy and I was frustrated with the lights outside the front and back door as they had been on the place for the last 25+ years and the white plastic had yellowed and to be blunt looked ugly. I had tried switching out the light bulbs to LED and that was when I discovered the lens were in really bad shape. I also wanted something that was slimmer then the old fixtures so off to Home Depot I went and I bought a pair of semi-flush mounted LED lights. I mounted the lights last night and this morning I finally sealed them up with silicon sealant. I really like the upgrade and it was fairly inexpensive once I figured out the mounting, of course being who needs to read instructions in mounting a light fixture.....:devilish:
kJe54zT%SPGEUBjvPbYeBQ.jpg
cMrMwF+2Suunp5kssMlwFw.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #697
Oh boy am I glad I caught that. The other day I started to hear a faint squeak from the frontend of my 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 that I got in February. Today I pulled off the front wheels and had a look see. I then went down to NAPA and got new extra heavy duty brake pads and rotors. I then proceeded to take it apart give every thing a complete bath in brake clean, wire brushed where needed and installed the new parts. I got solid brakes and this time they should last a while. I found that who ever owned the truck before me used the cheapest possible pads and rotors. Why folks use the those cheap parts when for $40.00 more for the pair of rotors and $30.00 more for much improved pads they can get a lot better parts. Total cost with the brake cleaner, brake grease, pads and rotors was $310.00. The prior brake job was done by a dealer 3 years ago and the truck had a 119,000 miles, I just completed the job at 132,900 miles.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #698
The other day the neighbor behind my place on the south west side of my property had decided to list her property for sale. NO issue or so I thought but then I was getting folks walking around my pasture and I don't take kindly to uninvited folks on my property. After I caught up to the one fella that was there I informed him that the property he was on was NOT for sale. The thing is the fence on the south end of my property is pretty busted up and I have the materials to replace everything on the fence and I was going to do it earlier this year but the weather started to rain and I need to also replace a wooden corner post as it has rotted out and wet weather and cement don't mixed, so I delayed it to the spring once it drys out. So for now I scabbed in the field fence until I can get down and do a complete repair and also put in a gate to the easement down the south side of my property.
In the mean time I have several gaps in the fence so I used some of the scrap field fencing to patch the open holes.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #700
Why would they have a house a few feet from your property instead of the middle of their property?
I have no idea as the manufactured home has been there for thirty years. The setback from the property line is 30 feet in this area and that place is 35 feet from the property line. If I was going to do something like that it would have been more like a sixty feet minimuim as at my place the home is 85 feet from the west side of the road. I don't know as the original owner died years ago and this place has had three owners (all in the same family) in the 20 years I have been here.

681 - 700 of 795 Posts