My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas I have an old gas can with an old yellow spout and well actually the cap from the 1 gallon can fits my 5 gallon can. I'm sure it leaks on both cans but hardly use the 1 gallon can as its for my chainsaw so I use the cap on my 5 gallon can and even with it securly tight, it leaks when I'm fillinig my lawnmowers. Just wondering it there is a gasket or something that's in there that needs changing ever so often or what, or why else would it be leaking?

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
:confused::confused::confused:Could you try marking the rim with a grease pencil (when it's dry of course) and install the cap without letting the gasket twist. Then you could remove it and see if any parts are not sealing.
:confused:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I had one like that, leaked like a sieve. Finnaly mad me mad enough and threw it away. Try taking it to a parts house and get a o ring that fits where it screws on the can

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:confused::confused::confused:Could you try marking the rim with a grease pencil (when it's dry of course) and install the cap without letting the gasket twist. Then you could remove it and see if any parts are not sealing.
:confused:
I took the nut off the spout and just sat spout on rim of can and it fit flush all the way around. The issue is anyway where spout slides up into nut, its leaking from the top side I guess there is supposed to be a gasket or something in the top portion of the nut where spout meets to make that seal. I will take to work tomorrow and inspect good and see about getting an o ring or something to fit up in there.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had one like that, leaked like a sieve. Finnaly mad me mad enough and threw it away. Try taking it to a parts house and get a o ring that fits where it screws on the can

Sent from the MTF Free App
yeah I will try and see what I can come up with and mahybe even can make something that mite work to slow it up as much as possible anyway. A little tiny drip aint bad

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The spout should seal to the can, gas shouldn't be getting to the nut as it'll run through the threads. I've seen the seam of the can be uneven at the can neck, check yours by finger and make sure it's smooth. The rubber at the base of the spout should be sealing tightly against the can. If the neck isn't smooth all around next time the can is empty block sand the neck smooth and then thoroughly wash/rinse out the can before drying & refilling.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The spout should seal to the can, gas shouldn't be getting to the nut as it'll run through the threads. I've seen the seam of the can be uneven at the can neck, check yours by finger and make sure it's smooth. The rubber at the base of the spout should be sealing tightly against the can. If the neck isn't smooth all around next time the can is empty block sand the neck smooth and then thoroughly wash/rinse out the can before drying & refilling.
so as the neck sits on the can it should be flat/flush all the way around right?

Should I be able to pull up on the neck any with the nut tightly secured? I do know it's didnt seem to leak at the nut where base of nute is to can but rather where top base of nut meets the neck .

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
With the nut tight the neck should be firmly attached and unable to move/rotate.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the nut tight the neck should be firmly attached and unable to move/rotate.
I put a round O ring in the nut then put the spout in and tightened down and poured and didnt see any leaks. The spout felt nice and snug too unlike before. When I get home I will actually tilt the jug all the way back and make sure it isnt leaking at any point but earlier it should have been tilted enuff that if it was gona leak it should have; fingers crossed lol

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I put a round O ring in the nut then put the spout in and tightened down and poured and didnt see any leaks. The spout felt nice and snug too unlike before. When I get home I will actually tilt the jug all the way back and make sure it isnt leaking at any point but earlier it should have been tilted enuff that if it was gona leak it should have; fingers crossed lol

:thThumbsU glad its working ...... "FOR NOW" :Stop: :sorry1::sidelaugh

·
16,629 Posts
Some how or where --the orignal seal or o-ring must have gooten lost.

glenn

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:thThumbsU glad its working ...... "FOR NOW" :Stop: :sorry1::sidelaugh
lol the only negative today when I went to pour gas in my son's lil 90 4wheeler was that the spout isn't that flexible so as I poured fuel, some spilled because of the low angle. I ended up using a funnel. Still no leaks though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts