My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I'm looking at upgrading from my flathead 9 to a more modern tractor - I've got an eye on a 641 fixer-upper but the PO pulled the head and I don't know why.

Is there anything common that would require the head to be pulled ever XXX hours of operation?

Anything I should know/look at on a 600 series?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Unfortunately IMO when someone disassembles something like you described and there's no way to know why it's a 50/50 chance , could be relatively simple inexpensive fix or something serious & very expensive , how big of a risk taker are you ...?

Mike

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's all going to come down to the price - If I can get it cheap enough, rubber & tin are good so I've got to figure worst case buying a new engine...... Best case a gasket set & some elbow grease.....

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Head gasket, valve job, push rods or??? How's the oil look? Was the head just changed?
Oil in radiator? Water in the oil? Does it run and drive Ok? Any engine bearing noise? If ran for any leght of time with water in the oil it could have bearing/crankshaft problems.
BTW 641 model is 601 series 640 would be the 600 series

Kirk

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kirk, I found it with the head off - so I don't know if it runs/cranks/drives - trans could be shot, hyd toast etc.

Should I know the differences between 601 series and 600s? 01s are newer than the 00s right?

·
Premium Member
8,677 Posts
I wouldn't offer more than scrap price (less probably). If you're lucky, they pulled the head because the head gasket was blown and they never got around to putting it back together, or it needed a valve job. Worst case is that the engine and trans are both shot, in which case you should still be able to get most of your money back by parting it out.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
600 '55/'57
601 '58/'62
Not much differents overall, Fuel gauge,fenders, Power steering, if it has it.
As stated, not much more then scrap price. Unless it has options like sherman trans, Power steering, wheel weight/pie weights, Power adjustable wheels.
He is going to have limited buyers for this. if the price is too high walk away. Most likely in 6 months to a year if he still has it you can even make a better deal.

Kirk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts