My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished mowing, parked it in the driveway to let it cool down, went back to put it in the garage, and she is still sitting out there now.. in the rain. the starter must be turning, but its not turning the engine at all. Anyone had this problem before?

·
Registered
652 Posts
If you have the older engine with a bendix type starter, sometimes enough gunk builds up on starter gear sliding shaft so it won't spin out and engage flywheel. Another easy one is a weak battery may have same behavior. Which engine do you have? Solenoid shift or bendix style starter.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have the older engine with a bendix type starter, sometimes enough gunk builds up on starter gear sliding shaft so it won't spin out and engage flywheel. Another easy one is a weak battery may have same behavior. Which engine do you have? Solenoid shift or bendix style starter.
It has the newer p218g engine in it, but I have no clue what starter. The previous owner had it replaced with a new one. I'd assume it is the same type, but why/how could a year old starter go bad??

·
Registered
162 Posts
If I had to guess you have the bendix style starter and its just jammed up with gunk. Mine actually did it earlier today and I noticed my dust cap was gone. When I hit my key all I heard from the starter spin and had to tape the starter with a pipe to get it to engage so I could move it.

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
You should have the starter with the solenoid attached with the p218. Can you hear the starter turning? What lights do you have on the dash when you turn the key?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should have the starter with the solenoid attached with the p218. Can you hear the starter turning? What lights do you have on the dash when you turn the key?
Yes. I can hear the starter turning, so I think we can eliminate the battery as an issue. I took of the side tin, but I didn't have time before dark to take of the engine tins. I have graduation parties all weekend, so I doubt I will get to look at it much. The hydro release lever is stuck too, so its getting a free carwash tonight unfortunately.. I also somehow lost one of the scalp protection wheels on the deck today when I was mowing at a house. Didn't even see it as I was mowing. Darn..

·
the mad scientist
304 Posts
I know it may be a dumb question but when you mow do you let the gauge wheels ride on the ground? The reason I ask is because we have a customer who has a 318 with a 50 in deck, and she kept breaking off the gauge wheels, and I found out she was mowing with them riding on the ground, so i adjusted the rockshaft for her and all is good.

The starter problem is pretty common, its not big deal to fix, it just where the starter is located that takes up most of the time. Some people even cut out the area on their frame just so they dont have to unbolt the engine if it happens again.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yes. I can hear the starter turning, so I think we can eliminate the battery as an issue.
Not necessarily.

Sounds like you can start with the "gunk" removal tip, but I'd start at the beginning and make sure the battery is good, cables are tight, etc.

Just started a car last night that had been in storage for 7 years. The lights looked decent, the fuel pump whirred, and when turned the key- nothing. No starter.

Replaced the battery (it had been on a tender the whole time). Hit the key, and nothing. It had a bad battery cable end. When did it happen? Who knows, some time in the past 7 years, it just went away.

Fixed the cable end. Vrooooom!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not necessarily.

Sounds like you can start with the "gunk" removal tip, but I'd start at the beginning and make sure the battery is good, cables are tight, etc.

Just started a car last night that had been in storage for 7 years. The lights looked decent, the fuel pump whirred, and when turned the key- nothing. No starter.

Replaced the battery (it had been on a tender the whole time). Hit the key, and nothing. It had a bad battery cable end. When did it happen? Who knows, some time in the past 7 years, it just went away.

Fixed the cable end. Vrooooom!
I think I will just open it up tomorrow.. sounds fun. Never worked on the mechanics of a riding mower before..

·
Three of my friends
9,006 Posts
Theres no gunk in that motor, its got less than 50 hours on it.It was one of mine and sold it to someone in Oklahoma and he had to put a new starter on it.Probably has no more than 5 hours on it.Why it is being contrary, dont know but i hope he did not put a cheap chinese starter on it, he charged him 250.00 for it.Dan can you post a video of it.I would check to see if the bolts are tight, its the type starter that mounts to the block and with a long extension you can check it from the front.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will post a video tomorrow. I plan on getting to the bottom of this by tomorrow. I really want to mow before Sunday since it is my brothers graduation, so we will have to see what we can get accomplished!

·
Deceased April 2016
1,225 Posts
Hello
Starter Issues are common on the 318's. Mine was messing up Not wanting to turn the engine over prior to me having the engine re-built. When I Pulled the engine I took the starter apart to see what was ailing it ? I found one of the armature winding wires had been severed and was stuck between the housing Magnet and the fields of the armature. I got a new Factory Onan starter for it from my engine builder for $50.00 shipped to my door. Being that I have the Non Bendix style starter on mine as I used the B-43 Oil Pan on my P-218 block, so my starter is the Non Bendix style that bolt's to the oil Pan Not the block, so I wanted to make sure this was the last time I had to mess with it's starter as you have to Pull the engine to get mine off.

I took the time to make sure it's drive met up with the flywheel correctly. The Onan Manual tells how to drill out one of the starter mounting holes so that you can move the starter in or out away from the flywheel. It is Very Important to get the correct ring gear lash on a starter when bolting it up to your Onan. I set my starter ring gear lash 0.02" closer to the flywheel than what the Manual specified. Once I got the engine placed and hit the starter it whirrled the engine over Effortlessly and now sounds Great, starter issues resolved. Do your self a Favor if you need another starter get a hold of forum Member "Boomer's Influence" he has some Original Onan starter's on hand that are of much Higher quality than the China Knock off ones his will last Much longer, this is Not a Fun Job Pulling the starter, take your time do it once and do it right and it will Not Bother you again. I hope this helps, Hammerdown

·
Registered
459 Posts
Check to see the boot on the starter solenoid (round looking thing beside motor under hood) has the spark plug boot attatched. my 314's boot would fall off sometimes.

Check all the regulars, spark plug boot as well on, gas, Pto switch off. wiggle batt cables, gas? .......but check that solenoid to make sure its pressed on well. That would happen all the time on the 314

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pulled off the side tins and I noticed on the right hand side of the motor (exhaust side) something that looked like a fuse box, and it seemed as if one of the wires plugged into it was overheated and snapped. Could this be my issue? Can someone explain to me how these things are wired from the key to the starter? I really hope this is my issue... :confused:

·
Deceased April 2016
1,225 Posts
Pulled off the side tins and I noticed on the right hand side of the motor (exhaust side) something that looked like a fuse box, and it seemed as if one of the wires plugged into it was overheated and snapped. Could this be my issue? Can someone explain to me how these things are wired from the key to the starter? I really hope this is my issue... :confused:
Hello JohnDeere Fan
The only thing that I can think of on the Exhaust side of the machine would be the Voltage Regulator which is Located in the Middle area of the engine Tin toward's the top of the engine and the Regulator itself is supposed to be placed on the Lip of the engine Tin. It does have three wires to it I Know one of them run's to the charging stator which is by the engine flywheel, and another wire that provides a charging current to your battery that is 13.1-To-13.8 volts when the engine is reved up and the other wire is a direct 12-Volt feed to the Regulator. I hops this helps, Hammerdown

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
jdfan
i would like to make a correction of
information that was given.
the voltage regulator is located on the top of the side tin
that is near the oil filter.
the terminals are A/C B+ A/C in that order.
the two A/C terminals are hooked to the stator.
the B+ charges your battery.
i like to see at least 13.9 at the batt at about 2000 rpm.
thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy )

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I must share My experiances with you.. For many years I serviced a fleet of JD. 318 s. They were normaly started Appx. 100 times each per day;; The starters were a monthly Replacement thing.. Pull the engine, Shim the starter. The Bendix throw . Bendix to flywheel alignment; ETC. I have seen many of job/tractor missused by Incorrect starter Installation. As for the starter. Onan Vers. Import. The import Costs less then 1/3 the price. and would last just as long as the Fac.orig. The only thing I found was the import Was/is a high rev. starter with a biult in gear reduction. and Parts were NOT interchangeable with the fac.unit And could not be rebuilt.. But for the average home owner they work good... At this time I have maybe 20 318 new and used starters here in my shop.. I say do what you are comfortable with... Life is good..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts