My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This in regards to my 444.

When shifting from forward to reverse or vice versa, if i'm not really slow in moving the lever the tractor is very jerky -- meaning i really have to hit that "sweet spot" to make a good transition. I could literally make the front tires get off the ground at least 6 inches if I'm not careful moving the lever. I'm expecting much smoother transition.

Are there any adjustments I can do or anything to rectify this problem? Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
You`ll want to check for and eliminate any/all slop in the mechanical links that push/ pull the travel spool in your TLV ( under the tractor) Helps to have someone operate the lever while you eyeball it from underneath.

Edit: I should add that this ^ is the starting point assuming your hyd sys is correctly topped off with the proper motor oil

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You`ll want to check for and eliminate any/all slop in the mechanical links that push/ pull the travel spool in your TLV ( under the tractor) Helps to have someone operate the lever while you eyeball it from underneath.

Edit: I should add that this ^ is the starting point assuming your hyd sys is correctly topped off with the proper motor oil
The fluid level in the hyd system is correct but not fresh. I will change the fluid and check the mechanical links.

By the way and I have not looked under the tractor -- I do not feel any slop on the lever at all. It feels nice and tight.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Yes.... it is the starting point but it's the most important step. All too often, owners look at their linkage and say to themselves "That little bit of play here and the other bit there couldn't be a big deal."

WRONG...small amounts of play here and there add up and that's what's the most common cause of the complaint you have.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes.... it is the starting point but it's the most important step. All too often, owners look at their linkage and say to themselves "That little bit of play here and the other bit there couldn't be a big deal."

WRONG...small amounts of play here and there add up and that's what's the most common cause of the complaint you have.
Before I go under the tractor, any tips / advice or what's involved in removing the play? thanks.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
The travel lever has a bushing at the top, right at the dash. At the bottom, the rod goes into a cast iron bracket that also supports the steering and the implement lift lever.

Just above that bracket is a wing-plate that has a hole in it for the metal rod that connects the travel valve's spool to the travel lever. The hole and the rod are suspect. Lastly, there is a "ball-joint" coupler between that connecting rod and the spool. It is highly suspect.

·
Registered
299 Posts
i had the same problem on my 446. Then the deck/attachment side of the TCV got stuck in the float position. I had another TCV from a 224, I swapped them out and now no more herky jerky. I still haven't figured out why the original TCV got stuck, what ever is causing it is in the valve itself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just went through this too, and changing hydro oil out with new motor oil made a world of difference. And really seemed to quieter the operating noise down too. Mine had hydraulic fluid in, the motor oil 10-40 helped tremendously. very easy to do, hey I did it...lol.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
I just went through this too, and changing hydro oil out with new motor oil made a world of difference. And really seemed to quieter the operating noise down too. Mine had hydraulic fluid in, the motor oil 10-40 helped tremendously. very easy to do, hey I did it...lol.
Please tell me that you made a typo when you wrote that you used 10-40.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts